If you want the little interior cabin light to realistically drain juice then you better also suggest buffing the batteries to have realistic power densities cause right now they can't even make it a single orbit around kerbin for most tasks without help from solar power.

Electrics as a whole could do with making more sense. Most missions I have either a single NUK or a couple of static panels.

With a decent battery there isn`t much you can`t do.

Stuff should need more power, batteries should be larger. I think I worked out once a 100EC battery was something like the equivalent of an AA battery, not very big at all. This may not be right, it`s from a poor memory.

10 hours ago, Alshain said:

There is a patch for that.

I've been using this patch for a while now in all kinds of situations.  There's no need to buff batteries or drastically change anything.  Maybe carry a bit more battery than you otherwise would, but that's all.  And pay a little more attention to when you want lights on, or off.  It's a minor change, but one that feels more immersive without really changing gameplay.  Thumbs up.

Yeah the external lights already draw power. As far as I can tell, however, the internal lights do not.

I feel like this is a simple oversight as the interior lighting is mainly (if not entirely) the result of a graphics pass. I seriously doubt Squad was thinking about resource consumption when they added lighted interiors.

If you'd like a head-canon explanation as for why this is, how about every time you turn the internal lights on, it's actually just Jeb cracking a couple glowsticks. :sticktongue:

It should be pointed out that unlike exterior flood lights interior window illuminating lights don't actually cast light they simply glow in the dark without illuminating thier vicinity. As far as the game's code cares there is no light casting objects present in the pod and cabin models.

Edited by passinglurker

2 hours ago, Greenfire32 said:

If you'd like a head-canon explanation as for why this is, how about every time you turn the internal lights on, it's actually just Jeb cracking a couple glowsticks. :sticktongue:

Not glow sticks ... He's cracking his knuckles which gives him a glowing personality :D

19 hours ago, passinglurker said:

It should be pointed out that unlike exterior flood lights interior window illuminating lights don't actually cast light they simply glow in the dark without illuminating thier vicinity. As far as the game's code cares there is no light casting objects present in the pod and cabin models.

This. Cabin lighting is an entirely cosmetic effect, it serves no useful purpose other than aesthetics. Making it draw power would just mean you keep the lights off all the time.

17 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Then can we have the IVAs be dark too so you DO turn on the lights to see? Currently the lights are always on in IVA.

So instead of just leaving the cosmetic lights off, you'd also avoid IVA to conserve power? No, thanks.

1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

So instead of just leaving the cosmetic lights off, you'd also avoid IVA to conserve power? No, thanks.

Well, that would be more realistic, would it not?... Besides, it would be kinda kewl to have the "interior" lighting effect of only sunlight or planet shine shining thru windows , and to move around the cabin with attitude/roll/pitch changes... :P

6 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

You say that is if IVA use is some kind of major thing in the first place.  It sucks and people avoid it already :wink:

Edited by Alshain

13 hours ago, Alshain said:

You say that is if IVA use is some kind of major thing in the first place.  It sucks and people avoid it already :wink:

It seems to be a polarizing feature to me, people either really love it and use it all the time or barely use it at all. I'm in the latter camp, I only use it for screenshots.

20 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Then can we have the IVAs be dark too so you DO turn on the lights to see? Currently the lights are always on in IVA.

Something like this is already being done in Angel-125's Buffalo mod (and I believe others of his).

When you are also using ASET in his buffalo cabs, there is a light switch on the dashboard so the internal and dashboard lights can be turned on and off.... I'm not sure how it effects the batteries, but it's a killer effect for getting screenshots. Admittedly, this is a mod... actually 2... but could it be incorporated into the stock game?

Spoiler

Buffalo cockpit, Dashboard lights on, Overhead cabin light off:

Ud8cxFL.png

Edited by Just Jim

3 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

It seems to be a polarizing feature to me, people either really love it and use it all the time or barely use it at all. I'm in the latter camp, I only use it for screenshots.

I don't think anyone (at least very few) uses it stock.  I don't think it becomes a polarizing feature until you add mods like RPM.

Edited by Alshain

23 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I believe that for certain cockpits with RasterPropMonitor installed, there's a button that turns on an IVA light that actually does make a small light pop on; sorta like the lights on commercial jets

Yeah... stock IVAs suck...

I NEVER played IVA because of that...
UNTIL, I tried the ALCOR pod... Holy carp!... That opened a whole new IVA playing level... Ubfortunately, it takes a HUGE amount of time and effort to make great IVAs...
And because the majority of people get the idea and attitude that playing IVA sucks, due to the stock IVAs that suck, most devs considering making nice IVAs have to weigh the fact that few players will even use them, considering the HUGE investment of time and hair-pulling in making them...

19 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

I believe that for certain cockpits with RasterPropMonitor installed, there's a button that turns on an IVA light that actually does make a small light pop on; sorta like the lights on commercial jets

yeah, but it doesnt really do anything other than make the interior lighting a little brighter... Would be nice if those IVAs using additional cabin lighting, could over-ride the stock lighting, and remove it...
Unfortunately, the stock lighting is part of the model itself... :P

Edited by Stone Blue

Personally, I LOVE IVA. However, I am unable to make safe landings without RPM. The guide ball just isn't enough.

Should RPM features be integrated into the base game, even if its for more "Advanced" pods or have an upgrade system to buy RPM for science and money for a specific pod, I'd be all over that.

On 4/1/2017 at 11:52 AM, Red Iron Crown said:

There is a "difficulty" setting manager. For those of us who like challenges of managing power while in IVA, tick "use Realistic power drain for cabin lights". Problem solved.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.