VAB specific; toning GPU load way, way down.

So I have an annoying little issue lately.

My GPU is on its way out. It performed admirably for a long while but now he's old and tired and is on his way to the great gaming rig in the sky. However, until his replacement arrives in a number of days, it's all I got.

KSP still runs fine, with one glaring exception: messing around in the VAB seems to be just enough to make my GPU heat to the point where it freezes my entire system, necessitating a hard restart (have to hit the button on the tower, as with my system  GPU overheat causes everything to freeze, the whole darn system, just stops in time).

Until my new GPU comes in, is there an way possible I can specifically change graphics settings in the VAB only? Everywhere else is fine; SPH (which is weird considering I'd think they'd be practically the same thing...), all the menus in the other buildings, the tracking station, and the environment in general (at least around KSP, through atmosphere, out in space, space between bodies, etc.). But if I enter the VAB, nine times out of 10 my GPU goes "NOPE" within about 15 seconds. I know this is the GPU heat issue and nothing else. Can anything be done specifically to the VAB without toning things own across the board? If I have to then I have to, but I'd like to check first.

Of course, I could just take a KSP break until my new GPU gets delivered but, TAKE A BREAK FROM KSP ARE YOU CRAZY? :)

And thank you in advance.

Edited by jros83

Does the behaviour change any with the different career mode tiers of VAB? I wonder if the Tier 1 VAB is easier or harder on the GPU than the Tier 3 VAB.

You can still bring up the Performance window in the VAB to measure frame rate at least.

9 minutes ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

Does the behaviour change any with the different career mode tiers of VAB? I wonder if the Tier 1 VAB is easier or harder on the GPU than the Tier 3 VAB.

You can still bring up the Performance window in the VAB to measure frame rate at least.

You may be on to something. The GPU has been on its last legs for longer than I care to admit, however on my current career, this did not start until after the first upgrade to it. Interesting. 

3 minutes ago, sal_vager said:

@jros83, have you turned off the space center crew in the settings screen? They are a big contributor to load.

I did that, yes. Two nights ago. No change.

I do think Gordon is on to something, to be honest.

1 hour ago, jros83 said:

So I have an annoying little issue lately.

My GPU is on its way out. It performed admirably for a long while but now he's old and tired and is on his way to the great gaming rig in the sky. However, until his replacement arrives in a number of days, it's all I got.

KSP still runs fine, with one glaring exception: messing around in the VAB seems to be just enough to make my GPU heat to the point where it freezes my entire system, necessitating a hard restart (have to hit the button on the tower, as with my system  GPU overheat causes everything to freeze, the whole darn system, just stops in time).

Until my new GPU comes in, is there an way possible I can specifically change graphics settings in the VAB only? Everywhere else is fine; SPH (which is weird considering I'd think they'd be practically the same thing...), all the menus in the other buildings, the tracking station, and the environment in general (at least around KSP, through atmosphere, out in space, space between bodies, etc.). But if I enter the VAB, nine times out of 10 my GPU goes "NOPE" within about 15 seconds. I know this is the GPU heat issue and nothing else. Can anything be done specifically to the VAB without toning things own across the board? If I have to then I have to, but I'd like to check first.

Of course, I could just take a KSP break until my new GPU gets delivered but, TAKE A BREAK FROM KSP ARE YOU CRAZY? :)

And thank you in advance.

My old-school solutions -- take the side of the case off, and clean out the GFX heat sink.  Unless that is something you regularly do, I would wager it is full of dust.

If that doesn't work, leave the side of the case off and point a small/medium sized house-fan at it.

Note:  I'm absolutely -not- recommending those as real ways to 'solve' the problem, they are short-term patches at best (well, cleaning the dust is a pretty good solution, if that is indeed the problem). 
A more acceptable mid-term solution would be to pick up an aftermarket replacement cooling solution for your gfx card. Depending on what model it is, that could be a quick-cheap $20 drive to Staples, or only available online for nearly as much as the card cost originally.  You say you already have a replacement on the way though, so probably easier (and cheaper) to just wait for that one to show up.

6 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

My old-school solutions -- take the side of the case off, and clean out the GFX heat sink.  Unless that is something you regularly do, I would wager it is full of dust.

If that doesn't work, leave the side of the case off and point a small/medium sized house-fan at it.

Note:  I'm absolutely -not- recommending those as real ways to 'solve' the problem, they are short-term patches at best (well, cleaning the dust is a pretty good solution, if that is indeed the problem). 
A more acceptable mid-term solution would be to pick up an aftermarket replacement cooling solution for your gfx card. Depending on what model it is, that could be a quick-cheap $20 drive to Staples, or only available online for nearly as much as the card cost originally.  You say you already have a replacement on the way though, so probably easier (and cheaper) to just wait for that one to show up.

Ha, I'm right there with ya man. I did all the last ditch, catastrophe level things there are to do. It's been on palliative care for a year. It's just now past the point of even all that. Case open, ambient room temp is low, constant cleaning of the ducts, etc. Only thing I was not able to do was take it apart and apply fresh thermal paste; the screws apparently were already stripped and I wasn't going to risk cracking it with power tools. Rubber band trick didn't work. But like I said, it's past all that now lol.

For a GTX 580 that I purchased in 2011, it exceeded all expectations. I can't be mad at all lol. Kept up with everything except the most demanding of the demanding titles clear through the previous year. 

Edited by jros83

I wouldn't try this until you get the new card, but if you want to have fun try baking it briefly in a hot oven, this can cause some of the solder to reflow a bit.  Most solders melt around 370-380F.  I've never actually tried this myself, but have read of some having success doing it...though a lot don't (the trick is not to leave it in too long, and of course this only works if some of the solder points have loosened/broken).  If it works you have a back up graphics card if not, well you haven't lost anything.

Edited by kBob

Well yesterday the new card came so this issue is now moot. Been running my new card and everything is as should be. If a mod wants to close this please feel free. Thanks all for the discussion though. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to pop a 6 year old card in the oven.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.