Mods that build off of other mods?

toric5

so Ive been amassing quite a collection of self written module manager patches, and am thinking about releasing them as a single pack or set of mods. (some only change simple things, one is in the works to add ablative nozzles to engines and/or electrode wear to ion engines) my question is, i modify stock and modded parts alike. would it violate the license to distribute a mod that changes the overall feel of another mod without explicit permission? and if not, would it be impolite? would most mod makers be ok with it?

I'd say that it wouldn't violate the license (assuming you don't bundle the mods together or something), but letting the author of the other mod would be polite.  If you're doing it for a specific purpose, they may even help you.  (Heck, depending on the situation they may ask for your configs to add to the mod itself.)  Most mod makers would likely be OK with it, assuming you kept it clear which parts were from you and which were the original mod.  (Basically: Don't cause them more support issues.)

A license regulates the rights to use another person's work. But you are not using that other person's work (i.e. you are not redistributing any part of that other mod). You are merely distributing your own work. So you are not violating any license.

Also, it's each player's right to change their game to their liking; and so, if the player chooses to download your collection of patches, it is that player's choice to modify that other mod. The other mod's author will not be offended by this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.