KSP Weekly: Farewells and new beginnings

SQUAD

Well see ya Sal. Good luck! Fly safe. :)

As for those new parts, it is a pity that those will be exclusively part of the expansion. Those would make great additions to the game as it is now! Please take your time on this and don't rush it out. I look forward to its release.

Fire

14 hours ago, SQUAD said:
This system keeps track of bundles and loads content on the fly (asynchronously) and it was designed as a proof of concept providing an alternative method of building native asset bundles in Unity. Its strong features are avoiding adding more content to the loading process and loading on demand as well as including an integrated export pipeline in the KSP project, and taking advantage of native bundle assets.

Does this mean faster reload with more mods?

I'll throw in my support behind @regex's comments about the tank butts. The new tops of the tanks look like what the bottoms should also look like. Even if they just kept the same, ugly rocket engines and cut off the tank butts that would be a vast improvement.

I think the new tanks look good, I look forward to seeing what goes on the business end though even more. Honestly, while @RoverDude is in stock modeling mode I hope @SQUAD will consider a pass on the stock 2.5m engines and 2.5m small-medium tanks (the orange tank is a classic) sooner rather than later, that line is pretty ugly (a point I imagine most people would actually agree upon). In my games they are the most used line of gear but sadly are the least inspiring to look at. 

16 hours ago, Azimech said:

I can't imagine @sal_vager leaving being an April fools thing. Too elaborate. Or I'm just gullible. Sent him a PM.

Rest of the update: thank you Squad for your continued support but remember: don't forget the competition. You guys really need to gear up if you want to keep your position in the gaming industry. A DLC is not enough.

And I'm repeating my request for a hollow 1.875m part. Would be awesome.

14 hours ago, cratercracker said:

Hmmmm...April fools anyone?..

Unfortunately no. He's a great guy, and I owe him a lot. I hope he enjoys his travels, and I hope I get to see the smileyface again some day.

Okay, so somebody linked another thread, and somehow this thread turned into a discussion of that thread, which is redundant. Please take that discussion to the other thread. This one will now be re-opened, but please keep it on-topic so we don't have to intervene again. 

8 hours ago, mattinoz said:

Could it mean per save control of mods in the future?

it was a small line that could be huge for the game going forward. 

Maybe they are trying to integrate something like this? either way, I think I'm becoming more excited for this than for the dlc

20 hours ago, tater said:

I'll throw in my support behind @regex's comments about the tank butts. The new tops of the tanks look like what the bottoms should also look like. Even if they just kept the same, ugly rocket engines and cut off the tank butts that would be a vast improvement.

When I went to Kennedy at the end of last year, I was surprised how those 'ugly tank butts' look exactly like the tops(and some bottoms) of the rockets they had on display(especially the Saturn V).

Call them ugly if you want, but it is a very realistic texture that I think adds an extra dash of veracity to the game as a whole.

Remember that rockets are performing pretty close to the edge of the envelope as far as materials science goes(at least for the time they were designed), and are very much function-over-form devices because of this.  I think the realistic NASA-like 'tank-butts' are a good reminder that every extra ounce of weight costs, and is removed at every opportunity.

5 minutes ago, tater said:

@Terwin, I am referring to the ENGINES. The tank butts should be on the TANK parts, not on the engines. 

I have not looked closely at the code of course, but I would not be at all surprised if enabling that sort of intra-part end-cap transparency was a pretty serious performance hit on the graphics side.(Assuming Unity even supports it)

I don't know if it is still the case, but considering what I have heard about the resource management system before it was re-written, I would not be surprised if the tank-butt-on-engine modeling was done because the alternative was to bring even high-end computers to their knees.

Once they are assembled, my rockets(usually) look pretty realistic, so I am ok with them being a bit simplified while still being constructed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.