Stock sea-level eve SSTO

Now this is a project i've been working on for a long, long time now In secret. And it's finally ready.

Ever since i learned that scanners had infinite torque, i've been wondering if it was possible to harness this torque, not for a walker like other people have done previously, but for a helicopter. Even with its low rotation speed of only half a revolution per second, it would be able to hold rotor blades of infinite size and lift.

Unfortunately, this was much, much harder than i thought. The scanners kept wanting to wriggle out of their sheaths, or misalign themselves horribly, or create catastrophic kraken forces. I tried everything, from structural panels to more structural panels to smaller rotor blades to attaching a claw to it (which just wouldn't spin) to using indestructible colliders to keep it in place. 

After many weeks of testing, i finally had a working model. It used two coaxial scanner blades held in place with structural panels, landing gear, and an indestructible fairing wall. It worked brilliantly, able to lift up to 20 tons in Kerbin's gravity.

So naturally, i wanted to take it to eve with 20 tons of fuel and engine, and make an SSTO. It would be perfect, only igniting the rockets at 20km instead of a measly 7km from a mountain. But Eve had its own challenges. The gravity sheared at the joints and hinges with almost double the strength. Then there was heating, more atmospheric drag... It took another few weeks to iron all of that out.

But finally, it is done. It can transfer one kerbal on a seat from sea level to low eve orbit. I present to you: The Will Of Steel MK79

Spoiler

april fools!Jy6S1MS.png

pS3uSEo.png

6bHb1xh.png

I hope you enjoyed it. :)

Edited by quasarrgames

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.