Hi Guys and Gals

Ed Jaws

Good to see an active, friendly, and helpful community. I'm 66 years young and been gaming since the '80s on a c64 computer. Which certainly does not mean I'm good at it but I try. My focus is on single-player strategy games and was never into real time or FPS games.

Since I'm a Linux user I was browsing the -SteamOS + Linux on Steam- sorted by user reviews and found KSP with overwhelming positive reviews. I said to myself, 'Hmm, how did I miss this title for the past two years.'

I try to expand my horizons to simulators games and I do enjoy them but I generally suck at flight sims. The math and orbital mechanics involved with KSP will be a huge hurdle for me too. With your help, hopefully I can overcome my handicaps in these realms. Expect a lot of questions in the game play forum.

I did some research and found the KSP store with the newer demo (Steam demo version is still at 0.18) and grabbed it.

The demo ran fine in full screen but when I windowed it with the browser open so I could check the keybindings while playing, I was getting a stutter in the VAB as I was moving the camera around.

My (rather old) system specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor (4)
RAM: 16047
GPU: GeForce GTX 750 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 (2048MB)
SM: 30 (OpenGL 4.5 [4.5.0 NVIDIA 367.57])
Monitor: 1920x1200

If anyone is still reading this awfully long introductory post I do have a couple of questions.

***Is there any advantage to buying the full game from the KSP store or Steam?

I'd rather the devs got all the purchase price instead of Steam with their 30% vigorish.

***When a new version comes out is there a patch or is the whole game downloaded again?

I did notice the store demo download was only able to get around 150k/s download speed.

***Can I install the game on my desktop and my laptop or should I buy two copies of the game if and when I know the game won't be sitting on my hard drive unused?

Thanks for reading.

To Mun or bust!

Ed

Hello, @Ed Jaws, and welcome aboard! Let me start off by saying how much I love that avatar. :wink:

You're not alone, we have a lot of users with a bunch of life experience. From the top of my head, I want to point to @linuxgurugamer, @adsii1970, @UnusualAttitude, and @tater.

If you buy the game from the KSP store, you can support the Devs and squad a little more directly. You also get access to the past few versions of KSP. Right now, it's a bit confusing, but it goes to 1.0.5.

If you buy from Steam, you can automatically upgrade your game whenever a new release comes out. The servers tend to be a bit faster, too. However, if you want to save an old game, or one with mods installed, you'll need to back it up somewhere before Steam downloads the new game. From what I've heard, sometimes Steam will patch the game and overwrite all the old data, but this has never happened to me- I didn't get my copy through Steam. :wink:

No matter where you buy KSP, you can download as many copies as you want. If I had more than one computer, I would have KSP installed on all of them! The KSP store also allows you to run KSP from a flash drive, which is handy if you want a portable game.

Finally, I'd like to introduce you to @Snark. If you think you were overly verbose, just remember that he can write a page on how to start your engines. :D

@Dman979, ditto on your avatar. Your comment about @Snark had me LOL. Thanks for the info and yes I will support the dev team rather than Steam.

@adsii1970, thanks for the welcome. Sometimes when I write, thoughts just keep flowing and I tend to get long winded. :D

How do you get the blue box around the members names?

Edited by Ed Jaws
blue box question

14 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

It's showtime...

Was it not more?

@Beetlejuice

@Beetlejuice

@... nahnah 3times is a bad choice:D

@Ed Jaws

Welcome in the Chaos and have a nice Stay /wink

PS: and you are only so old how you Feel you... Hmmm this means i am sometimes 220+ ... (×5 :wink:) Sorry i am not english native.

A short update, I bought KSP from the Squad store over the weekend. Contrary to the demo download the full game downloaded super fast, probably less then a minute.

Definitely happy I bought it from the devs direct. I could care less about tracking my playing time as using Steam would give me. All that gives is bragging rights which doesn't interest me.

To me, learning a game is just as much fun as completing it. The short time I've played I've managed to kill Jeb numerous times, poor guy. The funniest one is when the rocket didn't even lift off. It just tipped over and exploded, silly me.

Thank you all for helping a newcomer.

PS. Thanks for the tip @Dman979 :wink: