Kerbals. Easy to kill by accident; hard to kill by design?

jros83

So one of my Kerbonauts has accumulated quite a history of extremely poor performance. No amount of coaching, mentoring, retraining or administrative action would fix this. So it was time for him to die.

I figured it would be an easy affair; brace a Kickback longitudinally right on the runway. Give Jeb the honor of controlling it. Plop the problem Kerbal right behind the nozzle and LET 'ER RIP!

Except those suits must be made from dwarven mithril coated in adamantium and vibranium because the little ba****d just stood there with a smug look on his face as the Kickback burnt out.

Reminds me of the "heady" days when you could just point a Kerbal straight down from any altitude and speed, have the top of their head make the impact and they just bounce and live...

Edited by jros83

10 hours ago, jros83 said:

So one of my Kerbalnauts has accumulated quite a history of extremely poor performance. No amount of coaching, mentoring, retraining or administrative action would fix this. So it was time for him to die.

I figured it would be an easy affair; brace a Kickback longitudinally right on the runway. Give Jeb the honor of controlling it. Plop the problem Kerbal right behind the nozzle and LET 'ER RIP!

Except those suits must be made from dwarven mithril coated in adamantium and vibranium because the little ba****d just stood there with a smug look on his face as the Kickback burnt out.

Reminds me of the "heady" days when you could just point a Kerbal straight down from any altitude and speed, have the top of their head make the impact and they just bounce and live...

... but somewhat when they are in a cupola, then lithobraking at 6.1 m/s make them vanish from existence. And yes, sometimes your guys can literally skydive from a height of 3 km and still make it alive.

1 hour ago, _stilgar_ said:

Adamantium is an alloy of vibranium and iron. It already has vibranium in it, so I don't think you have to add another layer... :)

Just saying. 

Adamantium was developed as an attempt to replicate the properties of Captain America's shield, which was itself made from Wakandan vibranium, iron, and an unknown catalyst. Adamantium doesn't contain any vibranium itself.

I remember having killed a Kerbal by running on Eve ground on x4 physical timewarp. (it was back in 1.0.4).

For the story, before that, he jumped from his lander and hit the ground at around 30 to 50m/s (the lander too). He survived.

So yeah, it's easier to kill kerbal by accident than by design...

6 hours ago, Jack Joseph Kerman said:

A Kerbal can survive 25 G for a full minute, but back in 1.1 they would die from touching a landing leg, which would also explode. Logic.

haha those were the days!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.