[WIP-PROTO] Dark Days - Eternal Black.

daniel l.

Just now, Nailed it! said:

I ot the reference too!

Spoilers of the book ahead!:sealed:

But it's called Electron Pump in the Solar system, so we are playing as the aliens.

Yep :) I figured it would make sense since the Kerbal universe is scaled down just like the alien one.

3 hours ago, daniel l. said:

Yep :) I figured it would make sense since the Kerbal universe is scaled down just like the alien one.

And it explains why the stars have died - plus, the vanilla KSP universe appears to have a stronger strong nuclear force (stars produce more energy for their mass) just like the other end of the Pump in The Gods Themselves.

10 hours ago, electricpants said:

So Helium-2 is stable in the Kerbal universe (If our Strong Nuclear Force was only 2% stronger, Helium-2 would be stable)?

I don't know about that figure, diproton is going to blow itself apart by electromagnetic repulsion unless the strong force is really strong. But if it is, it could make for interesting physics. Maybe in the Kerbal universe proton-proton fusion is possible without one of the partners becoming a neutron, but it requires so much energy to begin that only the largest stars can ignite it and draw on that source of power. Hence why there's still a little energy. That could even be a late-term goal for the Kerbals - gather enough energy to begin fusing all the hydrogen they have lying around.

In our universe, proton-proton fusion is catalyzed by the weak interaction turning one proton into a neutron. Because the weak interaction is, well, weak, this is extremely slow and most fusion reactor designs use a steady source of neutrons as well (deuterium).

Edited by greenTurtle1134

3 hours ago, Scotskerb said:

I've never seen a post-apocalyptic KSP mod. This should prove interesting.

I wouldn't say apocalyptic, but it certainly fits the bill of a post world-end mod. Perhaps I could do a post-apocalyptic mod in the future though, imagine Kerbin as a nuclear wasteland with a toxic atmosphere.

Had a thought - maybe only two or three of the planets would have resources. and thoughts about the planets

Kerbol - a very dim black dwarf, the size of kerbin. Radiates the slightest bit of light. like, literally, we need to know where the planet is so we dont smash into it. Extremely cool in tempeture. Landable?

Moho - Doesn't exist, burnt to a crisp when Kerbol became a red giant

Eve - A relativley warm world, its greenhouse effect still kind of working. But its tempetures are just below or above freezing. Has a thin atmosphere. Still a dick to land on and get off of. Large black scorch mark.

Gilly - remains the same

Kerbin - oceans frozen over, ruins scattered around the planet.

Mun - its own seperate planet because in real life, the Moon will escape earth gravity by the time the Sun becomes a red giant.

Minmus - Remains the same, I guess.

Duna - HUGE ice caps. Maybe a bit of red left. Possible atmosphere.

Ike - Frozen world.

Dres - remains the same.

Jool - Due to the low tempetures, barely any light reaches it now. Its atmosphere condensed and became solid. It is now able to be landed on. Has a incredibly thin atmosphere. Ironic, huh?

Laythe - atmosphere frozen, oceans frozen. Volcanoes? Some science experiments will detect biologicial movement. 

Vall - remains the same. might have a remenant of Kerbol's red giant stage

Tylo - remains the same

Bop - Remains the same but could become a white comet. Kraken is gone.

Pol - remains the same.

Eeloo - tempeture is nearly absoloute zero. Has slight volcanic activity, due to the tidal forces and melting from Kerbol's red giant stage. Eeloo is one of the only places in the Kerbol system with light.

The Lost Planet - a planet about the size of kerbin. Terrain scatter edited to look like a civilzation was here. Based off of the original plan for the easter eggs by NovaSilisko. Has an atmosphere. Gets no light at all. Only appears in tracking station after visiting 5 monoliths. Crucial to using a gravitational slingshot to the Haven star.

Magic Boulder - orbits the lost planet. Much larger than the Ike counterpart. Has a strange chunk missing out of it...hmm. Highest science multiplier in the game. Incredibly difficult to land on.

Just some thoughts for the system.

Edited by Pxtseryu

8 hours ago, theaveragepxtseryu said:

Had a thought - maybe only two or three of the planets would have resources. and thoughts about the planets

Kerbol - a very dim black dwarf, the size of kerbin. Radiates the slightest bit of light. like, literally, we need to know where the planet is so we dont smash into it. Extremely cool in tempeture. Landable?

Moho - Doesn't exist, burnt to a crisp when Kerbol became a red giant

Eve - A relativley warm world, its greenhouse effect still kind of working. But its tempetures are just below or above freezing. Has a thin atmosphere. Still a dick to land on and get off of. Large black scorch mark.

Gilly - remains the same

Kerbin - oceans frozen over, ruins scattered around the planet.

Mun - its own seperate planet because in real life, the Moon will escape earth gravity by the time the Sun becomes a red giant.

Minmus - Remains the same, I guess.

Duna - HUGE ice caps. Maybe a bit of red left. Possible atmosphere.

Ike - Frozen world.

Dres - remains the same.

Jool - Due to the low tempetures, barely any light reaches it now. Its atmosphere condensed and became solid. It is now able to be landed on. Has a incredibly thin atmosphere. Ironic, huh?

Laythe - atmosphere frozen, oceans frozen. Volcanoes? Some science experiments will detect biologicial movement. 

Vall - remains the same. might have a remenant of Kerbol's red giant stage

Tylo - remains the same

Bop - Remains the same but could become a white comet. Kraken is gone.

Pol - remains the same.

Eeloo - tempeture is nearly absoloute zero. Has slight volcanic activity, due to the tidal forces and melting from Kerbol's red giant stage. Eeloo is one of the only places in the Kerbol system with light.

The Lost Planet - a planet about the size of kerbin. Terrain scatter edited to look like a civilzation was here. Based off of the original plan for the easter eggs by NovaSilisko. Has an atmosphere. Gets no light at all. Only appears in tracking station after visiting 5 monoliths. Crucial to using a gravitational slingshot to the Haven star.

Magic Boulder - orbits the lost planet. Much larger than the Ike counterpart. Has a strange chunk missing out of it...hmm. Highest science multiplier in the game. Incredibly difficult to land on.

Just some thoughts for the system.

Very interesting indeed, I will have to think about those, my current plan was for the DD-EB to take place in a completely different star system, but I might include a dead Kerbol system as well :) That will take time of course, the initial release will probably include only the most basic gameplay aspects.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, electricpants said:

Anything new, @daniel l.?

Not really unfortunately. :( the only PC I have that is capable of KSP still has not been connected to the internet. Damn this place! No place to put a big gaming desktop within reach of the router!

8 hours ago, daniel l. said:

Not really unfortunately. :( the only PC I have that is capable of KSP still has not been connected to the internet. Damn this place! No place to put a big gaming desktop within reach of the router!

Then... put a router within reach of a big gaming desktop?

48 minutes ago, theaveragepxtseryu said:

Congratulations on the release prerelease stable version prototype!

Will be making a install for it soon, but does anyone have pictures of the mod in its current stage?

Depends on what kinds of pictures? Because if the lights are off. The pic on FP is accurate.

2 minutes ago, daniel l. said:

Depends on what kinds of pictures? Because if the lights are off. The pic on FP is accurate.

If lights are on. Also...you're scaring the crap out of my friend Tharin with this mod. Congratulations!

Edited by Pxtseryu

4 minutes ago, daniel l. said:

Wow? How did I scare him?

He thinks the darkness is scary. I directly quote from when everything went dark

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Tharin on KSP discord

anyways im probably gonna try this mod later. what is the system arrangement as of now?

also he's following the mod development

Edited by Pxtseryu

Just now, theaveragepxtseryu said:

He thinks the darkness is scary. I directly quote from when everything went dark

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Tharin on KSP discord

anyways im probably gonna try this mod later. what is the system arrangement as of now?

Discord? Was this recorded? :P

Well. It's resonably well developed. Career mode is definitely not ready, but sandbox is fine. The lights have been modified to consume more power (thus forcing the player to use them sparingly on not have them on at all times.)

And the RTG's have been modified to consume Plutonium (It's built into the part, no need for containers.) and exchange it for Electricity.

Note, that this is not the stock solar system. It is a completely alien one with unique planet's and moons to explore. The planets you will see on the map, but the moons will be harder to find. :wink:

Also, the red dwarf system has two planets already. One of which has an Oxygen atmosphere, though not much else.

4 minutes ago, kjack1111 said:

Hey, I'm tharin. My answer is:

Nothing is scarier then nothing. You win. I surrender to the darkness. It is a good pain.

Congratulations on your revelation.

124dht.jpg

1 minute ago, daniel l. said:

Discord? Was this recorded? :P

Well. It's resonably well developed. Career mode is definitely not ready, but sandbox is fine. The lights have been modified to consume more power (thus forcing the player to use them sparingly on not have them on at all times.)

And the RTG's have been modified to consume Plutonium (It's built into the part, no need for containers.) and exchange it for Electricity.

Note, that this is not the stock solar system. It is a completely alien one with unique planet's and moons to explore. The planets you will see on the map, but the moons will be harder to find. :wink:

Also, the red dwarf system has two planets already. One of which has an Oxygen atmosphere, though not much else.

Congratulations on your revelation.

124dht.jpg

yes i did get the moment for posterity

I'd like to point out that the pitch-black skybox does not work at the moment. I had to get distant object enhancement, go to the DSE settings, and then turn "Max Skybox Brightness" Down to 0% to get the desired effect.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.