[WIP-PROTO] Dark Days - Eternal Black.

daniel l.

I agree with MemeMarine, just add in the solar system, darkness, and the ice planet and then release it as an early version. :)

Also, what do you mean by 'turn up the gamma'?

I've never heard of that saying before. :P

Edited by electricpants

The "Positron Pump" obviously is a reference to Issac Asimov's The Gods Themselves, which features a similar device and premise with the side effect of turning one universe into a nuclear wasteland.

Maybe make the planet orbits and icons black, black on black so you have to click randomly to find them. Of course you could just use keys then. I think Kopernicus has an option for making planets unselectable, but that might be too hard (space is big).

I'd also suggest reversing the priorities of original KSP. In original KSP, science points and delta-V are the big limiting factors while science flavor text, funds, and electricity are often overlooked. It would fit well with the theme of your mod if you had really high delta-V almost from the start but the planets have no information in the description besides how they were discovered. The really outer ones should just have "???" and you have to find things out by taking crew reports. There should be lots of biomes with lots of different reports (so science points aren't a factor but the flavor text is) and "roots" represent "fabrication energy" which is the far-future society's currency and a limitation on how many rockets you could build.

Innovative idea!

7 hours ago, greenTurtle1134 said:

The "Positron Pump" obviously is a reference to Issac Asimov's The Gods Themselves, which features a similar device and premise with the side effect of turning one universe into a nuclear wasteland.

Maybe make the planet orbits and icons black, black on black so you have to click randomly to find them. Of course you could just use keys then. I think Kopernicus has an option for making planets unselectable, but that might be too hard (space is big).

I'd also suggest reversing the priorities of original KSP. In original KSP, science points and delta-V are the big limiting factors while science flavor text, funds, and electricity are often overlooked. It would fit well with the theme of your mod if you had really high delta-V almost from the start but the planets have no information in the description besides how they were discovered. The really outer ones should just have "???" and you have to find things out by taking crew reports. There should be lots of biomes with lots of different reports (so science points aren't a factor but the flavor text is) and "roots" represent "fabrication energy" which is the far-future society's currency and a limitation on how many rockets you could build.

Innovative idea!

I agree! And it's always good to see a fellow reader, I wasn't sure anyone would get the reference! :P

1 hour ago, daniel l. said:

I agree! And it's always good to see a fellow reader, I wasn't sure anyone would get the reference! :P

I'd sure like to help, although I freely admit to knowing nothing about Kopernicus. You could have electric charge be an extremely expensive resource, as energy is going to be the most prized thing in a post-heat-death system.

You could also make the home planet an atmosphere-less world, and have it in a close orbit around its parent (dead) star, thus changing the distribution of Delta-V usage as well. Different as possible...

Just now, greenTurtle1134 said:

I'd sure like to help, although I freely admit to knowing nothing about Kopernicus. You could have electric charge be an extremely expensive resource, as energy is going to be the most prized thing in a post-heat-death system.

You could also make the home planet an atmosphere-less world, and have it in a close orbit around its parent (dead) star, thus changing the distribution of Delta-V usage as well. Different as possible...

You've been hitting it right on the money! :D Electric Charge will be extremely expensive and Lighting will also consume more power than before, the purpose being to make it more like those horror games where the flashlight has a short lifetime. :wink: 

Just a suggestion,

Earlier you said there was a habitable planet orbiting Haven, and that DD-EB is going to have Life Support systems.

So you should make parts for collecting food, water, etc so your Kerbals don't starve when they get to said habitable planet.

Like, maybe you could have some sort of bucket-like contraption that collects water from the shores of the planet that you'd attach somewhere on your lander so your Kerbals don't have to keep relying on the now dwindling water supply of their lander.

Idk what you'd use to get food, but I'd assume it would have something to do with wildlife on the planet.

8 minutes ago, electricpants said:

Just a suggestion,

Earlier you said there was a habitable planet orbiting Haven, and that DD-EB is going to have Life Support systems.

So you should make parts for collecting food, water, etc so your Kerbals don't starve when they get to said habitable planet.

Like, maybe you could have some sort of bucket-like contraption that collects water from the shores of the planet that you'd attach somewhere on your lander so your Kerbals don't have to keep relying on the now dwindling water supply of their lander.

Idk what you'd use to get food, but I'd assume it would have something to do with wildlife on the planet.

That's a great idea! :) I'll have to find a co-developer to write a plugin for that seeing as I have no experience in C# (Or is it C++?) code.

2 minutes ago, daniel l. said:

I'll have to find a co-developer to write a plugin for that seeing as I have no experience in C# (Or is it C++?) code.

Maybe seanth?

Or is he busy doing stuff with TBG?

Or maybe Artyomka15?

Edited by electricpants

Just now, electricpants said:

Maybe seanth?

Or is he busy doing stuff with TBG?

Perhaps. I doubt it though, I asked him about making a plugin for TBG and he said he didn't really know C++ enough to do it. Though he is busy anyway, TBG no longer really needs me so I'm basically relegated to a consulting role, which is fine with me. DD-EB has been an idea of mine for a long time and now I have the free time and experience to do it. :)

4 minutes ago, daniel l. said:

TBG no longer really needs me

Oh, didn't know he basically took it over XD.

I edited my post, but now I'm starting to doubt Artyomka15 knows enough C++ (Not saying I do, I know absolutely nothing about it either, same with C#) to do it, if he/she knows C++ at all (I might be completely wrong about that, lol).

Edited by electricpants

Oh, didn't know he basically took it over XD.

I edited my post, but now I'm starting to doubt Artyomka15 knows enough C++ (Not saying I do, I know absolutely nothing about it either, same with C#) to do it, if he/she knows C++ at all (I might be completely wrong about that, lol).

Artyomka15 is a superb plugin writer as I think we've all seen. However he seems to be more of a loner in terms of work, not to mention he's Russian so the difference in timezone's would make cooperation nearly impossible.

2 hours ago, electricpants said:

Do you have a (potential) release date yet?

I'm super hyped to play KSP with this! :)

Perhaps in a week or two :) You will find the custom parts to be largely modifed stock parts' and the new tech tree will more resemble that of a 4x game, divided into ages with different technologies for each.

Do you mean a game that is 4x larger than stock?

If not, then idk what you're talking about. :wink:

4x games are games like Civilization or Endless Space 2, such games divide their tech trees into ages, in which the player has access to different kinds of tech.

Also, be aware that not every planet I have planned will be coming out for the first version, only the most essential or obvious worlds will be present, in time the universe will be stocked with others too though.

Just now, daniel l. said:

Also, be aware that not every planet I have planned will be coming out for the first version, only the most essential or obvious worlds will be present, in time the universe will be stocked with others too though.

I believe I would've known :P

I mean, it is the first version.

I believe I would've known :P

I mean, it is the first version.

Of course! :wink: But you will find that the gameplay itself will be largely complete. Also, the kerbals in DD-EB will have grey skin due to the long term lack of sunlight.

1 minute ago, electricpants said:

Ooh!

So they'll look like the greys!

(Now I can finally destroy those silly earthlings! :P)

Of course, now... what would you say to having a hidden planet or two? :P A world that is completely off all charts and thus can only be encountered by accidentally entering it's SOI?

That sounds like an interesting concept...

Maybe it could be a rogue planet like the starting one?

The starting world actually is not rogue, it orbits a dead star as it always did. It's called, Tenebris. It's largest moon is Hekim and it has several smaller ones, though you must cross their SOI's to find them :P

13 hours ago, daniel l. said:

The starting world actually is not rogue, it orbits a dead star as it always did. It's called, Tenebris. It's largest moon is Hekim and it has several smaller ones, though you must cross their SOI's to find them :P

This is... fun. I can imagine a collaborative effort by everyone that plays this mod to launch a probe on every orbit and SOI-map the entire universe...

Fun.

For bonus points, plaster a budgie onto the texture of one planet, a massive miles-long easter egg...

...that no one will ever see.

Edited by greenTurtle1134

On 03/04/2017 at 3:42 PM, Artyomka15 said:

Well... Just now we both started developing the mods which adds exactly the same thing into the game xD

(Actually I yesterday started developing the mod which places you into the future of Kerbol , but only now I noticed that another person is already doing the same thing...)

I believe you are referring to me?

Edit: maybe not... Massive coincidence that we're setting stuff in the future. Though mine is only 20,000 years

By no means feel limited - go for it!

Edited by Gameslinx

On 9/4/2017 at 11:15 PM, daniel l. said:

I ot the reference too!

Spoilers of the book ahead!:sealed:

But it's called Electron Pump in the Solar system, so we are playing as the aliens.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.