How to remove quotes etc. On mobile?

Numerlor

It's very difficult to simply remove a quote or spoiler. Sometimes if you long-press the little arrow box that appears in the upper left of the box just right an option will appear to delete it, but it will also inevitably end up in your clipboard for some reason.

On 04/04/2017 at 9:27 AM, Frybert said:

What seemed to work for me was to select the quote box then hit the backspace in the keyboard.

Nope, this deletes text inside the quote for me.
To compound matters, once the cursor is inside the quote box I cannot escape from it.

This problem (and other IPS defects) was reported repeatedly after the forum "upgrade" and has been popping up periodically ever since.
Seems it's still falling on deaf ears, and the forum editor still almost completely non-functional on mobile.

Ctrl-rightclick options do not work on mobile. My phone has no ctrl key.
Who thought this convoluted access to basic editor functions was a good idea?

Can we please have a functional plain text + BBCode editor back? BBCode works in any browser, on any platform that can do ordinary ASCII input. This javascript monstrosity does not.

1 hour ago, steve_v said:

This problem (and other IPS defects) was reported repeatedly after the forum "upgrade" and has been popping up periodically ever since.
Seems it's still falling on deaf ears, and the forum editor still almost completely non-functional on mobile.

(...)

Can we please have a functional plain text + BBCode editor back? BBCode works in any browser, on any platform that can do ordinary ASCII input. This javascript monstrosity does not.

I'm not sure “it's falling on deaf ears.”

It’s more that it's an IPS problem that, from where Squad is sitting, is not solveable. Same for BB code, IPS does not support it (at least not when I researched it).

Going back to the original forum software was not an option, unless you like the idea of the KSP forum being an attack vector for virusses and bots.

Could Squad change the forum software? It being a game that is predominately played on PC's and laptops, the mobile environment represents a small group (and yes, I am typing this from an iPad, so I am not a biased PC snob who is bagatelizing your problem). Surely Squad could dedicate resources to implement a new forum. At the cost of KSP development. And apparently (and I am not against that) that was not something that the powers that be wanted.

5 hours ago, Kerbart said:

It’s more that it's an IPS problem that, from where Squad is sitting, is not solveable.

Of course it's an IPS problem. It's perfectly fixable by ditching IPS.
Squad decided to go with this proprietary solution, and was given feedback on these issues on day one. 
Choosing IPS, then saying "it's not our code, we can't fix it", when there are perfectly good alternatives (open-source and/or free, with real editors) available, is a right copout. Made bed -> lie in it.

2 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Of course it's an IPS problem. It's perfectly fixable by ditching IPS.

Except that the forum is not KSP's main product. It's working, maybe not as easy as we want it, for the vast majority of the users.

yes, it's perfectly fixable by ditching IPS. At the cost of KPS development. Is it that important? "If you care about your user community..." Again, most of the user community are fine with the way it is, but all will suffer from fixing the problems that only a minority encounters (and it's not like they don't have access to a PC either, or they would not be playing the game).

"just fix it"

"nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself"—my dad.

34 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

yes, it's perfectly fixable by ditching IPS. At the cost of KPS development. Is it that important?

So choose wisely in the first place, this is the only forum software I have ever encountered that is broken by the lack of a ctrl key.
And I sure do rate fixing it a higher priority than the current localisation effort.

32 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

"If you care about your user community..."

... don't rip out standard features that people are using. BBCode has been intrinsic to forums nearly as long as such things have existed, and replacing something as generic as a text editor is downright stupid.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.