KSP Challenge: Space Station Week!

Darth Badie

CZIZM6v2SNWLifMRh5yjZO3gI-BzK9eUN5xbaDN7

Check out the amazing and creative entries of last week's challenge!  

This week we have another theme for you: “Space Station Week”

Share the Space Stations you’ve built, the ones you are most proud of or your best attempts. It doesn’t matter if you post screenshots, videos, images or anything you’d like to show off, as long as it goes with the theme of the challenge. We want you to have fun and see all the amazing things you can create! 

@Toastie_Buns I get the feeling these are less about winning and more about "here's a cool thing to do in KSP." We're used to having to "win" at challenges because that's how it's often done in the subforum, but there's nothing really in the word "challenge" that implies a competition with winners and losers.

Here are two of mine from my current carreer:

IhEv4DF.jpg?1

Station Immutability orbits Kerbin...

IZL42XG.jpg?1

...while the similar station Permanence orbits Duna. They use Nebula Decals and UbioZur part welding on the toruses to keep them from getting too laggy, but are otherwise stock. 

2 hours ago, Toastie_Buns said:

But wait, who won the previous challenge and the coveted prize of a 'pat on the back'?

This are only challenges, so you can share what you´ve done and have fun. NO prices but we will continue making contest :wink:

2 minutes ago, MaxPrime said:

So this week's the challenge is to share a space station you've built at some point? That's pretty weak

Yea, not such a tough "challenge". I guess they are trying to make it something most players could do or have done at some point. 

To make it a tad more interesting I'd have probably set something like: "Build a space station in Kerbin orbit that includes at least X, Y and Z. Once assembled, fly it to Eeloo orbit". 

Back in 0.90 I had this station that I was pretty proud of in orbit of Duna. It was partly a station and partly a transfer ship. The lander would land on Duna to do science and then return to the station. Refuelling was performed by a miner on Ike that would fuel up on the surface then come meet the station in orbit. After the transfer window opened the whole station would return to Kerbin, though I never got that far. The lander ended up having too low of fuel margins and getting stuck on the surface after the second landing and I stopped playing the save before I sent the crew home.

This was my station in the orbit on the Mun, built in KSP 1.0 some time ago. It was built in career mode on hard settings and weighed 40 tons, so I was proud of it. It even survived a crash with some careless kerbals who decided to accelerate right through the station (no kerbals were harmed in the incident).

lXx3HSM.jpg

9 hours ago, Foxster said:

Yea, not such a tough "challenge". I guess they are trying to make it something most players could do or have done at some point. 

To make it a tad more interesting I'd have probably set something like: "Build a space station in Kerbin orbit that includes at least X, Y and Z. Once assembled, fly it to Eeloo orbit". 

Having suggested it, thought I'd better try it...

fhtIk0b.png?1

From left to right we have: An ore-miner lander, fuel store, a fuel making facility, crew housing/science, docking ports and a big refuelling shuttle. 

It will be my emergency re-fuel facility for when poorly planned missions go pear-shaped at the outer planets. 

Edited by Foxster

These stations are 100% stock but due to their incredible mass, part count and size I had to teleport them into space.

Next, the Yllions.

After receiving a distress signal over radio, captain Kirk steers the Enterprise-A towards a green small gas giant and makes first contact with the Yllions, its outpost is found in orbit. A debris field is found nearby, analysis learns it was from a small spacecraft using archaic engines running on chemical propellant. The signal was sent to the third planet in the system, a tiny M-class with a few lifeforms ignored by the UFP.

Not sure if I'll ever make this into a story. It's about Star Trek (again), there's no link to KSP.

And here's my orbital city. Almost two years old.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.