Controllers

kennyboy

Does anyone have a recommendation for a better if not the best type of controller to use for flight? The WSAD keys are killing me and they seem to either be full on/deflection or nothing, I know it's an old topic but some help would be appreciated 

I've been using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro ($39USD at big box store) with KSP for about two years. All the analog axes and switches can be assigned in KSP settings. Great base, so-so gimbals, but it's held up over many hours. It makes flying aircraft much easier for me.

Just now, MachTurtle said:

I've been using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro ($39USD at big box store) with KSP for about two years. All the analog axes and switches can be assigned in KSP settings. Great base, so-so gimbals, but it's held up over many hours. It makes flying aircraft much easier for me.

Same joystick I have!

37 minutes ago, kennyboy said:

The WSAD keys are killing me and they seem to either be full on/deflection or nothing

you could tap, you know

Edited by Guest

I use a Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS.  It's only about $10 more than the previous mentioned Logitech stick for a full HOTAS, but it is of course a lot bigger and takes more desk space etc.  If you are interested, try to get the old PS3/PC one if you can (unless you have a PS4), the new one for PS4/PC has Sony icons instead of button numbers, but otherwise is the same.  That makes it harder to use on a PC where those symbols are meaningless.

I only use it for in-atmosphere flight though, I find the keyboard better in space.  Really even with rockets I just use the keyboard.

Edited by Alshain

3 hours ago, Aperture Science said:

you could tap, you know

Yes, you can tap (I don't use a controller FWIW, but I plan on getting one eventually), but it's just not the same as being able to ease into something with the stick.

On the flip side, try driving your car someday like you would if you only had a keyboard to control it.  Sharp, jerky motions on the wheel.  It's interesting, then sickening, then somebody yells at you. 

Some things are just better controlled not by a keyboard. 

I'm building a custom controller/instrument panel, so I can't really say too much for commercial options, but to me the ideal retail controller would be a three axis joystick of any decent quality paired with the Saitek Farming Simulator side controller 

farm-sim-side-panel-01.jpg
This thing is almost laid out perfectly for KSP... Action groups up top, a 3 axis stick for RCS, and enough controls to do most major functions. I find it amazing that a farm ing controller is so well suited for a space exploration game! I guess there's a reason a new tractor or harvester costs as much as a house! Complicated machines!

Edited by richfiles

On 4/7/2017 at 10:06 AM, Tyko said:

some have had success with 3D Space Mouse. Takes a bit of work to get the drivers working...there are some threads about it

http://www.3dconnexion.com/products/spacemouse.html?gclid=CjwKEAjw8ZzHBRCUwrrV59XinXUSJADSTE5kfBEWlwmuex9BJa30DBjx7FWs4AUaR0L-BftyjhRYKhoCXnzw_wcB

I'll have to look into this.  Love my space mouse, never thought to use it in KSP.

10 hours ago, richfiles said:

I'm building a custom controller/instrument panel, so I can't really say too much for commercial options, but to me the ideal retail controller would be a three axis joystick of any decent quality paired with the Saitek Farming Simulator side controller 

farm-sim-side-panel-01.jpg
This thing is almost laid out perfectly for KSP... Action groups up top, a 3 axis stick for RCS, and enough controls to do most major functions. I find it amazing that a farm ing controller is so well suited for a space exploration game! I guess there's a reason a new tractor or harvester costs as much as a house! Complicated machines!

Saitek is pretty good about their peripherals.  Especially if it comes with programming software that lets you customize each control.

I have a few arduinos sitting on my bench here that I have been eyeballing for a KSP controller for some time. One of these days.....

I tried a Logitech extreme 3d pro, I found it way over sprung as my wrist would start hurting after a just a few minutes (I tried fixing this but no luck).  I have a Saitek X52 I use for flight sims, it's much better, though sometimes the connection between the stick and the thrust controller comes loose--but the main problem is it just takes up too much space so it ends up collecting dust on a shelf and I just learned to use the keyboard and accept that my flights tend to be a bit jerky :) .  Though periodically I swear I'm going to get it out again.

4 hours ago, kBob said:

I have a Saitek X52 I use for flight sims, it's much better, though sometimes the connection between the stick and the thrust controller comes loose--but the main problem is it just takes up too much space so it ends up collecting dust on a shelf

Same here (even if it's an old X36/35-USB) and shelved for the same reason.

So I stick (hep!) to an XBox-360 controller for flight/driving stuff instead.

Another for the logitech extreme line of sticks.. Im a flier from way back..the original microsoft sidewinder 3D was my  goto stick..then precission pro 2 

Beautiful joysticks... Microsoft partly died when they stopped making them

Tried saitek but always seemed to be bad quality or just not feel.right

The logitech does well

Xbox360 controller works ok

As does a xbox360 madcatz MC2 steering wheel and pedals for land trains

Some people at work..seem to think its keyboard or nothing

A keyboard is  for typing

Joystick is for flying

Wheel is for driving

You made a good call moving from keyboard and KSP will be more enjoyable for it

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.