[1.3.x] Lionhead ESA Launchers Continued [WIP]

MacLuky

ESA Launchers

bx4L1oy.png

@Yogui87 ESA Pack is just to nice to leave lying by the road. So here is the continuation and expansion of a great set of parts.

No pics no clicks

Download from GitHub: https://github.com/macluky/ESA-Launchers
or SpaceDock: <soon>

Current release consists of:

• Diamant A small early solid rocket that launches the first european satelite
  • Europa Early ESA rocket based on French and British rockets
  • VEGA Light launcher for ESA
  • Ariane Family Consists of 3, 4, 5, and 6

Credits

All modelling and texturing by Lionhead.

Ariane 3 parts made by MacLuky based on the the Ariane 4.

Original Forum Post

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/12078-025-lionhead-aerospace-inc-icarus-v04-updated/

License

CC-BY-NC-SA

Known Issues

- Though I can get all rockets in orbit there are several issues. The parts feel unbalanced. Especially the Ariane 5,6 and Vega seem extremely overpowered. Please help me create proper values for thrust, fuel and ISP. Once balanced properly we can release it to the general population.

Edited by MacLuky
tested on 1.3.1

Do you have plans to completly rework the Launchers? Or only the basics to make them work in 1.2.2+? Because the Ariane 6 isn`t the actual Model which will build by Arianespace. The one in this Pack is an old concept.

I did already change the second stage to liquid fuel, but had no time to rework the model. I guess it's wider at the bottom, and more like a Ariane 6 now. Hope to see some help with the cfg first, since I can do all I want with the soyuz, proton and the ariane 3/4

I found some issues:

- Some parts has no textures for some reasons. which parts is different on each load of KSP. Sometimes the textures of the Ariane 5 Fairings didn`t load, sometimes the Ariane 5 upper stage...

- Diamant is not showing up ingame. There are no parts in the VAB because the path is wrong "model = MacLuky_Dev/Launchers/Diamant/Decoupler/model". This directory didn't exist.

- The Node for the Payload of Ariane 5 isn`t corrected. You must attach the Payload headlong and then turn it manually with the rotate tool.

- The Model-Path of Ariane 3 3rd-Stage is "model = MacLuky_Dev/Launchers/Ariane 4/Stage3/model". This directory didn't exist too.

Edited by Cheesecake

Thanks for the feedback:

22 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

I found some issues:

- Some parts has no textures for some reasons. which parts is different on each load of KSP. Sometimes the textures of the Ariane 5 Fairings didn`t load, sometimes the Ariane 5 upper stage...

- Diamant is not showing up ingame. There are no parts in the VAB because the path is wrong "model = MacLuky_Dev/Launchers/Diamant/Decoupler/model". This directory didn't exist.

- The Node for the Payload of Ariane 5 isn`t corrected. You must attach the Payload headlong and then turn it manually with the rotate tool.

- The Model-Path of Ariane 3 3rd-Stage is "model = MacLuky_Dev/Launchers/Ariane 4/Stage3/model". This directory didn't exist too.

The first issue is very strange, I'd be interested in a KSP.log of that occurrence.

Diamant and Ariane 3-3: I feel silly, apparently I had both the development folder and the release folder in my test setup. Will fix asap! thanks for not only spotting it, but also providing the fix!

Will rotate payload node of Ariane 5 asap and run some more tests.

On 4/10/2017 at 11:01 PM, Brainpop14 said:

Ariane-6_four-booster_configuration_A64_This is what the Ariane 6 should look like

Nice! do you have dimensions, schematics etc? I think I can give this a go and make a more kerbal like version of it.

fix is on GitHub master: https://github.com/macluky/ESA-Launchers 

Thanks

I don't know if there are schematics of the Ariane 6 yet, but feel free to use one of my renders for reference. It's a 4K image, so you should be able to make out the important details.

As for dimensions, the core tank, interstage, upper stage and fairing are all 5.4 meters in diameter. Dunno what that is in "kerbal meters". The fairings are 20.019 meters tall, the core tank is 25.942 meters tall, the interstage is 7.797 meters tall and the upper stage tank is 6,248 meters tall (note some of the upper stage sticks out from the bottom of the tank making it approx 7.95 meters).

As for the solid rocket motors, they are 3.4 metes wide and 13.018 meters tall from the top of the booster to the bottom of the nozzle. The booster nosecone is 9.268 meters tall.

Anyway. here is the image

Edited by liquidhype

For Kerbal size start by making the diameter of the core stack 3.75 meters in diameter, just like Ariane 5, and you should be able to infer the rest.

And also please try to add RealPlume support. I started using it last year and now I can't play without it.

Here's the forum page for that if you need help with it.

Edited by Brainpop14

On 4/12/2017 at 10:29 PM, liquidhype said:

I don't know if there are schematics of the Ariane 6 yet, but feel free to use one of my renders for reference. It's a 4K image, so you should be able to make out the important details.

Nice! can you share the model? it will save me quite a bit of work

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, MacLuky said:

Most models are severely broken. Learning KSP wheel is on my list but I can't figure out the unity setup (yet)

The models are not broken the landers work just fine the rovers on the other hand are yes the wheels need fixed but just landers work fine with just alittle work.

Ah well, I tried fixing the arm on the Thor lander and take a look at the solar panels but have a hard time importing them in blender/unity. But other parts just need config tweaks indeed.

The patch file that I posted in lion heads original thread has some fixes for probe attachments points and a bit of center of mass gets shifted around. I recall getting stuck at the wheels and stopped there ;-) If we can figure out the names of the colliders we can use KSPwheel to fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

Home is awesome, but also on a restrictive license. You can't even post a link to it I think. So we would need Bobcats permission. The probes we can do, the wheels won't work I think since the way ksp handles wheels has changed. Learning how to make wheels is on my list however :-)

@bjornadri help is always welcome! (unintentional bold, weird forum editor ;-)

Looked at MEM this morning, but think we can do better on the pod at least. The lander is really cute

Here is the updated Thor lander: https://ufile.io/pxbwc

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.