JPL published a new video about the mission ending of Cassini

NeoFatalis

10 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

Cassini is really cool. We have also gotten mounds of info from it. Can't forget the Huygens lander too. Sad it's close to fair well.

Although if we need to retire it, I can't think of a more awesome way (within the fuel budget) than plunging it into Saturn.

Why am I crying for a robot? Damn you pretty pictures and useful data that made me unreasonably attached to a lump of metal.

So far Cassini had given us a huge amount of data, but it's not done yet! Even on its way to inevitable destruction it will give us more.

September 15 added to calendar.

• 3 weeks later...

TMRO had a great interview with Lisa Tatge, a subsystems engineer and spacecraft operator on the Cassini mission. They go over the mission's past achievements, as well as (in great detail) the grand finale. Among other things, they explain how Cassini goes through multiple periapsis altitude changes over the course of its last 22 orbits through interactions with Titan, despite already being completely ballistic. The final maneuver was just completed on Saturday morning, now there's no propulsion left whatsoever. Only attitude control remains. No matter what happens now... it'll just have to happen.

Interview begins at 24:30.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.