Mission Idea: Emulating Real Life in Kerbal Space Program [WIP] [Submit a Payload] [Become a Launch or Payload Provider]

Can payloads have engines and fuel? I think they should, as it simplifies adding stats to launcher; you will only really need stats for LKO, and maybe keostationary transfer orbit, and then the launchers don't have to perform anything like rendezvous/docking. 

46 minutes ago, Skylon said:

Can payloads have engines and fuel? I think they should, as it simplifies adding stats to launcher; you will only really need stats for LKO, and maybe keostationary transfer orbit, and then the launchers don't have to perform anything like rendezvous/docking. 

Payloads are permitted to have a propulsion system and/or other accessories. 

40 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

Can I be a launch provider and a payload provider? I specialize both in launch vehicles and deep space exploration vehicles, so I think both roles sound interesting (though if I have to pick one it will be launch vehicles).

Yes you can be both a LP and a PP. I'm probably going to be both later on. 

1 minute ago, nascarlaser1 said:

Do launcher have to be recoverable? I currently only know how to build expendable launchers that either orbit forever or get sent back into the atmosphere uncontrolled.

They do not have to be recoverable, however you will save money if it is.

16 minutes ago, nascarlaser1 said:

oh ok thxs. tonight or tomorrow I'll post my first launcher and payload. Is there a separate thread for that yet or do we just post them here?

I'm going to be making a thread for that about now, I will link it here and @TheEpicSquared will be linking it on the OP.

Just now, nascarlaser1 said:

Hi guys! sadly I wont be joining this after all... I reread the instructions and realized that none of the rockets I am able to build count toward realism :P. Sorry :(.

Why don't you post a download link for your most realistic rocket and I can give you a few tips. :wink: 

6 minutes ago, CairoJack said:

Can I become a launch provider as U.K.L.A.(United Kerbin Launch Alliance)?

Indeed! As long as you have a brief backstory and a Launch Vehicle that fits the criteria, you are good to go. :) 

Stupidandy's and Lower Stage Tests

Lower Stage Test

Spoiler

sKpYDhu.png

oPwO0g6.png

ZT72kMU.png

RV7ZLis.png

BhI0dif.png

kdN6mwv.png

ZpU3xPy.png

lD8SLZd.png

cyZvfeH.png

From this test we can conclude we don't need monoprop on the upper stage, which I forgot to take off of the upper stage

Upper Stage Test

Spoiler

okT866D.png

nlymsph.png

Ph6eoMv.png

sv87ojD.png

we now don't need monoprop on our upper stage

Spoiler

Before:

GRmNDLc.png

After:

T4ZyY0S.png

I've saved 0.6 Meters! I can now have an extra .8 meters of payload on my rocket!

Edited by StupidAndy
.2 minutes ahead of me! wow!

UPDATE: As a result of article 2.2j, and a moderator review, we had to revise on thing. Unfortunately from now on company names are not permitted as it may result in "roleplay". Instead everyone will be only a launch provider under their username. Sorry for the inconvenience but we need to press on from this technicality. 

11 minutes ago, Oliverm001x said:

UPDATE: As a result of article 2.2j, and a moderator review, we had to revise on thing. Unfortunately from now on company names are not permitted as it may result in "roleplay". Instead everyone will be only a launch provider under their username. Sorry for the inconvenience but we need to press on from this technicality. 

^ What he said.

1 hour ago, CairoJack said:

Can I become a launch provider as U.K.L.A.(United Kerbin Launch Alliance)?

Well, you can't have a company name, so you can't be UKLA any more, but you can still become an LP under your forum name. I'll add you when you provide a launch vehicle. :) 

I'm having a hard time figuring out how mechjeb does things.  It seems to want to waste my fuel doing weird things and making orbits that pass through the atmosphere again before they circularize.  I have no idea if my designs will be any good for this challenge because of this, and I don't like releasing sub-optimal designs.

Just now, Thor Wotansen said:

I'm having a hard time figuring out how mechjeb does things.  It seems to want to waste my fuel doing weird things and making orbits that pass through the atmosphere again before they circularize.  I have no idea if my designs will be any good for this challenge because of this, and I don't like releasing sub-optimal designs.

If you want, I could fly your rocket manually to orbit and beyond. I'm using MechJeb to make sure everything's equal, but if MechJeb is screwing with a rocket, I can fly it manually. :)

Would you prefer that?

5 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

If you want, I could fly your rocket manually to orbit and beyond. I'm using MechJeb to make sure everything's equal, but if MechJeb is screwing with a rocket, I can fly it manually. :)

Would you prefer that?

Honestly, I'd rather you try it with your mechjeb settings first to see if it does any weirdness., I'll post a link to the .craft shortly.

EDIT:

KerbalX link

Edited by Thor Wotansen

@TheEpicSquared Great idea!! I would like to become a Payload Provider in the near future :)

Since it's WIP, may I suggest adding BoxSat and Orbital Science mods? They both make really great payloads!

Note: BoxSat official is for KSP 1.0.4, but there are unoffical patches for KSP 1.2.2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.