Mission Idea: Emulating Real Life in Kerbal Space Program [WIP] [Submit a Payload] [Become a Launch or Payload Provider]

31 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Thanks! I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

I already have something that might do something but I have trouble launching it with mechjeb
don't know what is happening had lifter that could launch 2,25t to 100/100 orbit and now it can't launch 2t to stable one

Edited by Numerlor

ICMM areospace needs to borrow someone's 2.5m first stage to test Steve's ability to land sans parachutes (in case of dangit failure). Any takers? Don't worry, we're only taking it a few km up, I can recover it by parachute.

Edited by icantmakemodels

7 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Sorry, different-purpose rockets (even if they are just minor changes) are second iteration. 

Then can I update the first iteration by just putting a few fins on the rocket?

EDIT: Also I have some errors on balance calculation, I thought it costs 3000 per launch but the better calculation gives 3909.

Can I raise customer cost to 6000:funds:?

Edited by Reusables

Right, after cancelling the Mun-1 flight, I've decided to stage a Kerballed flight instead. This will utilise an Alpha rocket, and a specially made Rho Capsule.I'm up to sending your kerbals to orbit, for a fee which is TBC. The onboard supplies are enough for 4 days on orbit.

To reiterate, one launch of this, ASAP.

4 hours ago, Seabo14 said:

Right, after cancelling the Mun-1 flight, I've decided to stage a Kerballed flight instead. This will utilise an Alpha rocket, and a specially made Rho Capsule.I'm up to sending your kerbals to orbit, for a fee which is TBC. The onboard supplies are enough for 4 days on orbit.

To reiterate, one launch of this, ASAP.

Ok, @Seabo14 so you want this launched instead of the Mod_Alpha.1? 

16 hours ago, Abastro said:

Then can I update the first iteration by just putting a few fins on the rocket?

EDIT: Also I have some errors on balance calculation, I thought it costs 3000 per launch but the better calculation gives 3909.

Can I raise customer cost to 6000:funds:?

You can update the first iteration. The development time is as follows:

10 * [KCT construction time after changes - KCT construction time before changes]

Edited by TheEpicSquared

15 hours ago, icantmakemodels said:

ICMM areospace needs to borrow someone's 2.5m first stage to test Steve's ability to land sans parachutes (in case of dangit failure). Any takers? Don't worry, we're only taking it a few km up, I can recover it by parachute.

How much does the capsule weigh? If it is less than 5/6 tons I can take that on the Arthur-1 first stage

1 minute ago, TheEpicSquared said:

You can update the first iteration. The development time is as follows:

10 * [KCT construction time after changes - KCT construction time before changes]

I've uploaded the craft file on dropbox, which can be downloaded through the same link.

I want to update the first iteration. (It also has abort mechanism)

2 hours ago, Skylon said:

How much does the capsule weigh? If it is less than 5/6 tons I can take that on the Arthur-1 first stage

Should work. I haven't finalized the design or anything yet, but you can have the contract when I do. If all else fails we can always strap it to the top of a SRB.

ICMM space industries presents:

The Leviathan.

A soon-to-be Kerbal-rated rocket for taking Crew to LKO. Not related to a similarly-named rocket from Human Space Program.

Current development stage: Actual design of rocket

Spoiler
  1. Actual design of rocket [~250,000 KB]
  2. CSV (AKA "Steve") pad abort tests [~3000 KB]
  3. Steve Parachute-failure test -- Airdrop contract awarded to @Skylon, assuming Steve fits on Arthur I[~5000 KB]
  4. Steve in-flight abort test (R/C) [~5000 KB]
  5. Leviathan Full launch to LKO and back (R/C) [? KB]
  6. Leviathan Crewed flight to LKO and back [? KB]

Geusstimated total development costs: 500,000 Kerbucks (?)

Est. cost of actual rocket: 50,000 KB (?)

Can I get government funding for this?

@TheEpicSquared & @Oliverm001x, some development questions:

Spoiler
  • Is the life support in the Mk1-2 pod enough?
  • Do I even need to test the landing-sans-parachute capability (there will be more than one parachute anyways)
  • How much DV does you The Government want in-orbit?
  • Can I clip tanks into structural parts (i.e., clip radial monoprop tanks into a Rocromax brand adapter)
  • How many redundant systems do you want for Launch abort and Oh-no-we-ran-out-of-fuel-in-orbit?
  • Acceptable Killed-Kerbals probability?

Later development:

• First stage recovery
  • Second stage recovery
  • Steve service module recovery (???)

This is a request for funding; when I finish it, I'll post it in the craft thread, OK?

So just a few questions... guess they are answered somewhere and I am just too dumb to find 'em.

Providing payloads, do I have sort of a budget, or am I kind of generating money for the launch providers ? If I am limited by a budget, who's paying me? The government?

Also, is there a link to the savefile, so that I could have a look at this, or is this challenge sort of a text based browser game at this time?

Is there an overview in a google doc or whatever? It's just that I find it difficult to obtain game related data in the OP...

Generally, I could think of designing a few satellites and stuff, but before doing so, it'd be nice to have some overview on the intended gameplay.

1. Yes, you have a budget. The government pays you for use of your sattellites.

2. No. @TheEpicSquared is keeping the savefile.

3. No. Look in the 'LAUNCH MANIFEST' and 'COMPLETED MISSIONS' spoilers in the OP

4. Build a satellite. Hire a LP to launch it. Pay the LP. Get paid by the government for your satellite.

1 minute ago, something said:

So just a few questions... guess they are answered somewhere and I am just too dumb to find 'em.

Providing payloads, do I have sort of a budget, or am I kind of generating money for the launch providers ? If I am limited by a budget, who's paying me? The government?

Also, is there a link to the savefile, so that I could have a look at this, or is this challenge sort of a text based browser game at this time?

Is there an overview in a google doc or whatever? It's just that I find it difficult to obtain game related data in the OP...

Generally, I could think of designing a few satellites and stuff, but before doing so, it'd be nice to have some overview on the intended gameplay.

There is a save file owned by TheEpicSquared, but just for launched/under construction rockets. You build rockets and payloads in a separate save file and provide a craft file. We did have rules for payload providers, but it was decided that they made things too complicated, so for now payload providers have an unlimited budget, but still try to choose the cheapest/optimal rocket for you; this is designed to simulate real life, where launch agencies compete for launch contracts.

3 hours ago, icantmakemodels said:

Hide contents
  • Is the life support in the Mk1-2 pod enough?
  • Do I even need to test the landing-sans-parachute capability (there will be more than one parachute anyways)
  • How much DV does you The Government want in-orbit?
  • Can I clip tanks into structural parts (i.e., clip radial monoprop tanks into a Rocromax brand adapter)
  • How many redundant systems do you want for Launch abort and Oh-no-we-ran-out-of-fuel-in-orbit?
  • Acceptable Killed-Kerbals probability?

1. Yes

2. Testing is always a preferred thing to do. :wink: 

3. Enough to conduct each specific mission + 20% (This is what I would say)

4. Yes, however approximately only 30% lengthwise, for the purpose of bending realism without going into the realm of complete structural integration.

5. & 6. Up to @TheEpicSquared

We look forwards to your mission!

21 hours ago, icantmakemodels said:

Sure thing buddy :D

I will add to KerbalX and put a link in a pm to you :D 

Don't want to unveil it yet that's all :wink: 

24 minutes ago, Oliverm001x said:

1. Yes

2. Testing is always a preferred thing to do. :wink: 

3. Enough to conduct each specific mission + 20% (This is what I would say)

4. Yes, however approximately only 30% lengthwise, for the purpose of bending realism without going into the realm of complete structural integration.

5. & 6. Up to @TheEpicSquared

We look forwards to your mission!

5. One redundant system, so for the launch escape system, there should be the primary LES, and a secondary function that can be used as a LES (for example the vacuum propulsion module, idk).

6. Killing KerbalX will lead to an as-of-yet undecided penalty (which will be huge).

@Oliverm001x, are you close to done with your Titanium One lifter? I need a craft file.

3 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

5. One redundant system, so for the launch escape system, there should be the primary LES, and a secondary function that can be used as a LES (for example the vacuum propulsion module, idk).

6. Killing KerbalX will lead to an as-of-yet undecided penalty (which will be huge).

@Oliverm001x, are you close to done with your Titanium One lifter? I need a craft file.

Slightly difficult whilst on holiday... :D 

5 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

I'm just uploading my (new) rocket, since my unflown one was, TBH, terrible. The Alpha will remain a paper project, to be replaced by the Sigma. I'll post the craft when it finishes.

@TheEpicSquared I'm not sure whether this should be in the submission thread since it is a mission ensemble, rather than a lone rocket. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bzr683cBbGPTN3pPcXY3UkdSbFE

The Sigma-Rho project, using a Sigma lifter to carry the Rho manned capsule to LKO. First launch scheduled as soon as you can construct it. I'd like to hire a kerbonaut for SeabCo operations.

PS. All previous progress scrapped.

PPS. @Skylon I can launch that mun satellite if you still need it, for around 15,000 funds.

35 minutes ago, Seabo14 said:

@TheEpicSquared I'm not sure whether this should be in the submission thread since it is a mission ensemble, rather than a lone rocket. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bzr683cBbGPTN3pPcXY3UkdSbFE

The Sigma-Rho project, using a Sigma lifter to carry the Rho manned capsule to LKO. First launch scheduled as soon as you can construct it. I'd like to hire a kerbonaut for SeabCo operations.

PS. All previous progress scrapped.

PPS. @Skylon I can launch that mun satellite if you still need it, for around 15,000 funds.

Yup I will take that launch

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.