Mission Idea: Emulating Real Life in Kerbal Space Program [WIP] [Submit a Payload] [Become a Launch or Payload Provider]

4 hours ago, StupidAndy said:

lets see which ones I have left...

I still have two satellites I need a-launching

Zevober GRM

70x70 90* orbit

https://kerbalx.com/Stupidandy/Zevober-GRM

Quaento GWS

70x70 90* orbit

https://kerbalx.com/Stupidandy/Quaento-GWS

I just tested that my Retrance ll2 can launch 1.6t to polar orbit, so I can launch both at once with large margin. Separator cost will be added, so that's 6500. If you want it to be launched separately, it'll be 12000. Isn't it fine deal?

17 hours ago, Abastro said:

I just tested that my Retrance ll2 can launch 1.6t to polar orbit, so I can launch both at once with large margin. Separator cost will be added, so that's 6500. If you want it to be launched separately, it'll be 12000. Isn't it fine deal?

okay. you may launch Zevober for now, if you do it well (IE no explosions) then you can launch Quaento

LAUNCH REPORT

@Skylon

Arthur-1 Demo Flight, Skysat-0 x12 and Skysat-1B x1

Launch Summary

Spoiler

Liftoff of the Arthur-1 occurred at Y1 D34 0-06-44, Universal Time. Initial liftoff was successful and MechJeb took control of the rocket shortly after launch. However, MechJeb first started to spin the rocket out of control, then pointed it straight upwards, resulting in large D-v losses. I took manual control following the incident and attempted to put it back on the proper trajectory.

However, because the rocket was already so high up, getting it back on course proved very difficult and so the trajectory was abnormally steep. The first stage separated at 30 kilometers ASL and the second stage ignited.

The fairings were separated at the correct time and the second stage placed itself into a 150x152km parking orbit successfully. However, due to the lack of D-v, the second, orbit raising burn, only raised the orbit to a 387.8x150km orbit, instead of the 500x150km orbit as planned.

At this point it was decided that the monopropellant thrusters on the Skysat-1B should be used to raise the orbit to the planned altitude. The second stage was separated from the payload assembly, and was left in a 387x150km orbit. The payload assembly managed to raise the apoapsis to the planned 500km after a few minutes of burning.

At apoapsis, the monopropellant thrusters were again employed to circularize the orbit. This maneuver was successful and then deployment began. First the 12 Skysat-0s were deployed, a quarter-orbit apart. This went as planned. Finally Skysat-1B was deployed, completing the mission.

Pictures

Spoiler

Payload attached to rocket in VAB:qBkdsaY.png

Liftoff:ycUrsn8.png

MechJeb straightens out the rocket after a loss of control but does not proceed with gravity turn:6tsSYO6.png

Switch to manual control, starting gravity turn:4G0IATs.png

Pitching down as far as possible:o0jOJNx.png

Stage separation:PsKkrKF.png

Fairing separation:KYbODgt.png

Burning for orbit:z8pTaDk.png

Parking orbit achieved:OIknwlI.png

Second stage runs out of propellant in the middle of orbit-raising burn:NxzYaiB.png

Payload assembly separated from second stage:97dWjVE.png

Burning to raise orbit:2EgpfGn.png

Good apoapsis:StuAPy3.png

Final orbit achieved:vmullxi.png

First satellite deployed:3WGtbIQ.png

More deployments:bx2cBwU.png

8D5qjoE.png

All satellites successfully deployed:eCcwxnH.png

Mission status: PREDOMINANTLY SUCCESSFUL

- All satellites deployed in correct orbit
- Physical rocket systems functioned properly

- Software issue caused loss of control and delta-v losses, leading to lower-than-planned orbit

Arthur-1 is approved for further flights.

Edited by TheEpicSquared

@TheEpicSquared maybe it was because you were limiting the AoA. Unless you do this for realism, could you not for the next launch? Also engage the RCS if the rocket is trying to pitch hard. I use a 45% gravity turn because my rockets have a low TWR

My ArthR-1 lifter will be ready soon, lifting 2.5t for 10,000 funds; 4 funds a kilogram.

Edited by Skylon

On 4/11/2017 at 0:30 PM, icantmakemodels said:

FYI @TheEpicSquared, The Helium design has been finalized. 

https://kerbalx.com/Blacksilver/Helium-Xsat1

https://kerbalx.com/Blacksilver/Helium

Stats (without payload)

Reveal hidden contents

Height: 20m (Incl. average-sized fairing)

Mass: 17T

Parts: 27

DV: 5179m/s

MTO: 2t (untested, can do 1)

1st stage: splashdown in ocean by parachute

2nd stage: Splashdown in ocean by parachute if re-entry goes well.

Pricing

Reveal hidden contents

Price: 20,344 Kerbucks

1st stage recovery: ~10,000 -10% = ~9,000

2nd stage recovery: ~2,000 -10% = ~1800

Total refund from recovered stages: ~ 10,800 Kerbucks

Total: Approx. 9200 Kerbucks

+10% markup

Total customer cost: 10,150 Kerbucks

@TheEpicSquared, Ping!

I have decided that I will be doing something big why not

what it is? I don't know, where it will be going I don't know, what it will do I don't know, why I also don't know

but what I do know is that it will be awesome

stay tuned for details I think

On 19/04/2017 at 10:46 PM, HobbitJack said:

You know how reaction wheels are frowned upon? I found a mod called Mandatory RCS and it nerfs larger (1.25m, 2.5m) Reaction wheels so you have to use RCS to stay streight.

Link: v

I might add that.

On 19/04/2017 at 10:51 PM, icantmakemodels said:

Did I miss something?

On 19/04/2017 at 11:34 PM, Abastro said:

@TheEpicSquared, would you please update my Retrance ll2? It is on the craft link(I updated the file). Also I want to raise its cost to 6000.

Sure.

12 hours ago, StupidAndy said:

I have decided that I will be doing something big why not

what it is? I don't know, where it will be going I don't know, what it will do I don't know, why I also don't know

but what I do know is that it will be awesome

stay tuned for details I think

Awesome!

5 hours ago, Wildcat111 said:

@TheEpicSquared I'm a LV designer for @Uace24's ICEA, so can I be a LV designer for this too?

Yes. Just make sure you read the LP rules. :) 

Edited by TheEpicSquared

I am about to start development of some station modules. I will keep them under 4/4.5 tons and i will probably choose @TheEpicSquared and/or @quasarrgames to launch them, but if someone can lift more for under 5 funds per kilo I may reconsider. 

The stations assembled will be called StarGate-(Number). Here are the planned modules and vehicles:

• SG-L1: Logistics module. Provides power, control (remote), main communications, fuel and propulsion
  • SG-C1: Cargo module. Provides food, water, nitrogen/oxygen and other supplies and storage
  • SG-H1: Habitation module. Can hold up to 5 kerbals (designed for 2) and life support systems
  • Pixie Cargo: Cargo transport. Takes supplies to space stations
  • Pixie Crew: Crew transport. Takes 2 crew/tourists to space stations. Can operate autonomously. Testing pending.

The stations may be visited by tourist craft for a fee or the government may have research done there for a fee. I may also sell stations to the government or add modules to their own stations. 

I am still unsure of whether the payload provider rules still stand.

Edited by Skylon

I present:

MunDust-1:

This probe comes in two parts, an orbiter and a lander. They will be taken to LKO, where the orbiter's engines will transfer and circularise at the Mun. It has highly expensive sophisticated science equipment on board, so it will be launched on a high reliability version of the Arthur-1. However, because it is lighter than the rocket's max payload, an upper stage recovery will be attempted using parachutes.

V7LcC0P.jpg

Launch Instructions:

Spoiler
  1. Launch to 80km at a 45% gravity turn when the Mun transfer window opens
  2. Transfer the lander and orbiter to the Mun under its own power
  3. Deorbit the second stage opposite the peninsula past KSC so that the trajectories mod says it will land just before that peninsula in the sea.
  4. On entry, burn remaining fuel so that 75m/s is left
  5. Hold radial out with RCS on
  6. If it starts to get very, VERY hot (it will get very hot anyway), burn off any remaining fuel.
  7. Arm the parachutes.

Here is the entire launch configuration: https://kerbalx.com/Skylon/MunDust-1

Oops,, wrong thread

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.