SpaceY R∃B00T - It's back! (again)

Kerbiter

SPACEY RB00T

PROLOGUE

From Elon Kerman's feed:

Hello, I'm Elon Kerman, multi-millionaire and entrepreneur. Space isn't cheap. Let's change that.

How are we going to change that? I have started a new company, SpaceY, and have managed to bring together a team.

SpaceY is not your traditional space company. To keep the cost down, we will be making everything ourselves, from the engines and tanks to the cameras on the rocket. Currently we are developing 2 engines, the "Beagle" and "Kiwi" engines, for our "Raptor 1" rocket which is coming very soon, so stay tuned for that.

Anyone interested in funding or joining the SpaceY team may see our new page @ kerb/spacey:corp. We would like to see enough funds for 3 launch attempts of our "Raptor 1" rocket. Also updates will be posted there because I don't think this would be the place for them. Thank you all very much. o7

Edited by Kerbiter
new title lol

3 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Yay, it's back! Do you still have the payload I submitted oh so long ago?

No, I have a new computer.

SPACEY RB00T

While it's been a couple weeks since we finished the design of the Raptor 1, we took some time to create a 1:1 model of it and formally reveal it at the KSC. Elon himself went out and showed the new rocket off.

EgqMCuO.png
Elon Kerman unveiling the Raptor 1 rocket. (SpaceY)

As for what the whole rocket will look like:

kpFZe20.png
An artist's render of the Raptor 1 rocket. (SpaceY)

The Raptor 1 is a very basic rocket, and it is meant to lift very small payloads to low Kerbin orbit. We are now offering launches for small payloads such as KubeSats, and small observation satellites. WE WILL NOT LAUNCH SPY SATELLITES.

A test launch with a boilerplate satellite named RaptorSat is scheduled in approximately a few months, and we will post updates as well as a live webcast of the launch. Thank you.

- the SpaceY team o7

Tasty 4K Wallpaper

Edited by Kerbiter

3 hours ago, kerbinorbiter said:

i will back you up,

whats the max payload capacity as i may be a client (thats what spaceXY calls em' right?)

Dear inquirer,

The maximum lift capacity of the Raptor 1 is 800-1000 kg.

-- Carl, SpaceY Team

I may require a Raptor launch sometime in the future. I have an experimental weather satellite that needs to be launched into a keostationary orbit over the KSC. How much payload can the Raptor 1 launch to keostationary orbit?

Nevertheless, consider me a very intrigued sponsor.

OOC question: is Ven's Stock Revamp installed? Because this Raptor 1 looks a LOT better than the original.

1 hour ago, TotallyNotHuman_ said:

I may require a Raptor launch sometime in the future. I have an experimental weather satellite that needs to be launched into a keostationary orbit over the KSC. How much payload can the Raptor 1 launch to keostationary orbit?

Nevertheless, consider me a very intrigued sponsor.

We have made calculations and it turns out that if pigs can fly through Jupiter, then the Raptor 1 can launch a payload to even keostationary transfer orbit.

Answer to your OOC question: YES.

EDIT: Doing some test launches, and I think this thing needs a redesign because I don't think I can get it into orbit :(

Edited by Kerbiter

1 minute ago, Kerbiter said:

We have made calculations and it turns out that if pigs can fly through Jupiter, then the Raptor 1 can launch a payload to even keostationary transfer orbit.

Answer to your OOC question: YES.

Ah, so the Raptor 1 is unable to launch to KSO or even KTO. However, that is of little consequence; weather satellites function just as well in LKO.

OOC: As soon as I have access to a computer with KSP, I will design the payload and send it to you for approval.

sOyGTQV.png

Today we launched the Raptor 1 for the very first time. The payload on board was a satellite built in house called "satJR", which weighs 136kg.

The rocket's strongback detached after fuel was loaded into the rocket.

RTl0RDK.png
The strongback of the Raptor 1 detaches for the first time. (SpaceY)

The strongback detached successfully, but it flew through our pad, and we haven't found it yet.

Otherwise, the Raptor 1 launched successfully off Space Launch Complex 2, located just off the Kerbal Space Center.

gKAsVqb.png
The Raptor 1 lifts off of SLC-2 carrying satJR. (SpaceY)

The rocket flew through the sky at nominal speeds and we caught it all for the Kerbals of the world to see.

IkyDx0Z.png
The Raptor 1 launching satJR, high above the launch pad. (SpaceY)

Our live webcast reached viewership of 6,305 at its height, just at the launch of the Raptor 1.

wpyf2uC.png
The Raptor 1 launch viewed from an onboard camera. (SpaceY)

As our rocket went up and up and the "Kiwi" engine kept sucking up fuel, our chase camera showed good footage of it from the ground.

jFizK73.pngcTSjJ54.png
Two images of the Raptor 1, taken by a chase camera. (SpaceY)

The fuel on the first stage eventually ran out, and the stages separated nominally. We had implanted a camera into the first stage to show the separation, and while we didn't get the best footage, we got good footage.

WTdVPAU.png
The stage separation of the Raptor 1, viewed via onboard camera. (SpaceY)

The "Beagle" engine on the second stage was nominal, and we only had minor complications with the second stage.

MozpY2I.png
The Raptor 1's "Beagle" engine powering the second stage. (SpaceY)

The fairing separated nominally right when it needed to. We didn't capture a single frame showing the separation, but we made this composite.

s0rVIEz.png
A composite of two frames, used to create a visualization of Raptor 1's first fairing separation. (SpaceY)

The second stage successfully brought satJR to orbit, and we decided to wait a bit to deploy it. That way, we got some beautiful views.

ni5KH31.png
Sunset viewed from the Raptor 1 second stage. (SpaceY)

Eventually, we deployed the satJR satellite, and our team confirmed it was working. Mission complete!

BVUxmdx.png
The Raptor 1 deploying satJR. (SpaceY)

Here we also took live feed from the second stage cam and managed to grab an image of the satellite doing its thing.

YrH1nZG.png
satJR transmitting data. (SpaceY)

That is all we have to share today. Thanks!

-- The SpaceY team o7

PS we forgot something:

Raptor 1 is now available for purchase @ 22,500 funds. Mail us for more info and if you would like to order a launch.

Edited by Kerbiter

\o/

What forms of payment does SpaceY Inc. accept? I would like to book a launch.

OOC: I can't see the pics now, but I know it'll be awesome. I still don't have a craft file, but I'm going home today. \o/

Also, by 'mail' do you mean PM or posting in this thread?

3 minutes ago, TotallyNotHuman_ said:

What forms of payment does SpaceY Inc. accept? I would like to book a launch.

Alright! Please mail us and we can get your payload up.

OOC: Posting, although PM will work fine for bigger things.

Payload Name: MeteoSat 1

Company: Kerbin Meteorology Inc.

Mass: 285 kilograms

Desired destination: Low Kerbin Orbit

Notes: No decoupler/separator required, as the satellite's bottom node is a Junior port (to facilitate future on-orbit maintenance if necessary). Enclose in fairing - solar arrays are very fragile. MechJeb case not included.

OOC: I haven't designed the payload, because I don't have access to my computer yet. I'll update this post with the KerbalX link once I build and upload it. The payload will be mostly stock with only parts from Ven's Stock Revamp.

Edit (still OOC): Oh, and Procedural Parts.

Edited by TotallyNotHuman_

14 hours ago, TotallyNotHuman_ said:

Payload Name: MeteoSat 1

Company: Kerbin Meteorology Inc.

Mass: 285 kilograms

Desired destination: Low Kerbin Orbit

Notes: No decoupler/separator required, as the satellite's bottom node is a Junior port (to facilitate future on-orbit maintenance if necessary). Enclose in fairing - solar arrays are very fragile. MechJeb case not included.

We have processed your payload into the launch manifest as 2nd quarter of next year. Please deliver as soon as possible.

• 4 weeks later...

VuDpB0I.png

Our first customer arrived, Blue Lagoon Aerospace. They were recently bought by Larry and Sergey Kerman, the Chief Executives of Goose1, for the use of their hi-res satellite imagery in Goose Ball2. They approached us to have a prototype of their next gen satellite, MagmaSAT, launch on our Raptor 1.

TSZevzT.png
The Raptor 1 on the launch pad, before launching MagmaSAT. [SpaceY]

Thanks to some money that came from investors due to our last launch, we have upgraded our camera equipment. Footage now looks much better, although because of a small mishap footage doesn't look as good from our launch pad camera this time.

Tox09fu.jpg
The Raptor 1 lifting off with MagmaSAT. [SpaceY]

This time, viewership doubled on the webcast compared to the previous launch, 14,746 viewers at its peak just after liftoff. Our chase cameras again got some great footage of the rocket going up.

06OvLQW.png
The Raptor 9 carrying MagmaSAT, viewed by a chase camera. [SpaceY]

MagmaSAT will test a new concept of livestreaming Kerbin for all to see. It is equipped with a wide-angle camera to capture a great image in orbit, while also equipped with a more traditional camera for higher resolution images of Kerbin from above.

nkDZWro.png
Raptor 9 ascent viewed from onboard camera, from MagmaSAT launch. [SpaceY]

Stage separation occured nominally, and the "Beagle" engine ignited nominally.

g1HO118.png
The "Beagle" engine ignites on the Raptor 1 after stage separation (from the MagmaSAT launch). [SpaceY]

While the second stage did reach orbit, the orbit was not very good, so this was a great opportunity to test the reignition of the "Beagle" engine. It worked.

utkSiDY.png
The "Beagle" engine reigniting in orbit for a circularization burn. [SpaceY]

Finally, we were able to release the MagmaSAT.

c211M2i.png
The Raptor 1 deploys MagmaSAT. [SpaceY]

With a 1080p camera on the second stage, we decided to take some footage of the MagmaSAT preparing itself. The video can be seen here.

Anyways, that is all from the launch. Thanks!

-- The SpaceY team o7

For readers:

1 The Kerbal Google 2 The Kerbal Google Earth

Edited by Kerbiter
Removed empty space

2 hours ago, TotallyNotHuman_ said:

:blush:

Sorry, @Kerbiter. I completely forgot about my payload submission.

Is there still a spot for me? If so, I can get that to you soon-ish.

Elon still has you on the manifest. Send me the craft file pronto and I'll launch it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.