Turning graphics settings down all the way and uninstalling any visual mods you may have will probably help. The problem here is, that craft has 405 parts, which means it's inevitably going to cause framerate drops on a less powerful computer.

To tell you anything else, we'd need to know the specifics of your computer. Sorry.

23 hours ago, IncongruousGoat said:

To tell you anything else, we'd need to know the specifics of your computer. Sorry.

I have a Intel i5-4460 core with a CPU at 3.20 GHz, with 8 GB of ram, and a 64 bit computer.

Just now, Quarkz said:

I have a Intel i5-4460 core with a CPU at 3.20 GHz, with 8 GB of ram, and a 64 bit computer.

Hm. Honestly, at a certain part count the game will inevitably slow down. Heck, in the bad old days I had some launches running at 1/15 speed. Of course, things aren't quite that bad what with the update to Unity 5 and all the optimization, but still, it's unrealistic to expect perfect performance unless you have one heck of a machine.

In general advice, some people claim that forcing opengl can help improve performance, but how much that helps varies from person to person. Another thing that might help is figuring out what, exactly, is bottle-necking your performance(processing power, memory, etc.), and then closing anything you have in the background that may be consuming a lot of that particular resource.

1 minute ago, IncongruousGoat said:

In general advice, some people claim that forcing opengl can help improve performance, but how much that helps varies from person to person. Another thing that might help is figuring out what, exactly, is bottle-necking your performance(processing power, memory, etc.), and then closing anything you have in the background that may be consuming a lot of that particular resource.

I know what opengl is, but what exactly does it do?

Also, the only thing in the background I normally have running is GameData of KSP, Steam, Google Chrome, Notepad, and Task Manager. Would that take up a lot of data?

10 minutes ago, Quarkz said:

I know what opengl is, but what exactly does it do?

Also, the only thing in the background I normally have running is GameData of KSP, Steam, Google Chrome, Notepad, and Task Manager. Would that take up a lot of data?

Chrome is a memory monster. The other things should be relatively harmless. Although with 8 GB of RAM you shouldn't be having too much in the way of memory issues on a stock install, which makes me think you're running into processing power or rendering issues.

Forcing opengl makes KSP use the opengl graphics library for its rendering, which can sometimes increase performance by decreasing memory usage. I don't know the specifics, graphics not being my area of expertise. Searching the forums for force opengl should lead you to instructions on how to do it, if you feel it's necessary.

Edited by IncongruousGoat

47 minutes ago, IncongruousGoat said:

Although with 8 GB of RAM you shouldn't be having too much in the way of memory issues on a stock install, which makes me think you're running into processing power or rendering issues.

I do have mods installed, but they're not graphically intense mods. They're mainly part mods. I'll try out a big ship tommorow with chrome closed. 

Edited by Quarkz

11 hours ago, Quarkz said:

I do have mods installed, but they're not graphically intense mods. They're mainly part mods. I'll try out a big ship tommorow with chrome closed. 

Beware, all parts have their own mesh and textures (plus normals, colliders, some even have animations). All things taking a large chunk of memory (and unfortunately KSP needs to have that all loaded to work), in fact even a medium-sized texture sheet is larger as memory used than most plugins. If your systems is already choking because of RAM shortage (meaning: it has to keep swapping memory pages from RAM to disk and back, while other apps require to have their ones in RAM to perform their own duties) the extra memory required by those KSP parts is likely to be the real problem you're facing, instead of CPU (or GPU for physics) being unable to update calcs each frame. On the other hand, FX effects also take a lot power to render (your GPU may not be up to do in real time); or it's due to all physics interactions between parts (done by GPU using PhysX library, or by CPU). Freeing all PC resources from other (background?) apps while running KSP can be a lifesaver in your case, but still best to avoid overloading KSP itself with add-ons.

If you have tools showing the amount of memory/CPU/GPU used by KSP (what OS you use? can't suggest any lacking that) you'd be able to see which is the true bottleneck in your case. I have 16GB RAM and, even without large parts add-ons, have KSP slowly fill all of that in a few hours: wouldn't be a surprise 8GB aren't really enough with all parts your KSP install has to manage; but still, in my case it's the GPU to always being working too heavily while KSP runs and causing lag with large ships.

On 4/8/2017 at 8:51 AM, sal_vager said:

KSP is CPU bound, meaning you should close other programs to free up CPU resources for KSP.

Should I run at 60 FPS if I close ALL other programs except task manager?

If that won't happen, I might just replace my CPU and graphics card.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.