Scam?

munlander1

I got a text saying "Dear *not my name* based on your professional profile, we invite you to apply for the relevant vacancy at suspiouscompany.com" it's from a "verified American logistics company" and I would be able to "work at home". The reason why I it's suspicious is 1. Work at home 2. They got my name SO wrong 3.a bot texted back. 

Edited by munlander1

The only 'work at home' business you'll ever truly profit from is one you create yourself. Period.

You could try texting back "STOP", as sometimes this removes you from whatever auto-list they have you on. Although, I think the best bet it to not reply at all; Ignore it, block the number and be done with it.

Definitely not a serious job offer, whether it is a "scam" requires more input. Could just be an overly aggressive marketing campaign that a recruiter is doing, or more likely they are just fishing for active telephone numbers that they will then sell on to another company that will call you to ask about that car accident you had 6 months ago and if you have sought any compensation.

The fact that its a text is the first and only red flag you need.

Thanks for all of your guys input! :D

I think what the scam is that they wanted you to register your number. They would then know your address, name, and a hole pile of personal info. They would then call you and try to scam you. I think it would be an irs or a loan scam.

If i may be a little salti this "communicative art" have for me the meaning like the "if... then..." E-Mails.

Spam and phishing for personal informations. Mostly targeted on older peoples who think "if it is on internet it must be true".

Realy interested People send you a letter and make a Call beforehand. All other goes in Spamfilter and autodelete.

Funny Kabooms 

Urses 

You could have a little fun with these scammers.

You know, by wasting their time and stuff.

Tell them you currently work for Skammer Ishuz Inc.

Do not reply to spam and don't click unsibscribe links on iffy emails (the legit mailing lists you actually subscribed to yourself are fine)*.

It only confirms that your email is a valid one, making it more valuable and leads to more spam.

If you do want to have some fun, reply from a burner email account.

:3 having like 20 or more email account here since the 90's, depending where and what i register i use one or the other + anyway i almost never check my e-mail whatever the account, this way i m not bothered that much with various spam, phising or whatever wich nowdays is really a pain ... per amount ... // usefull mails

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

On 4/6/2017 at 6:52 PM, munlander1 said:

I got a text saying "Dear *not my name* based on your professional profile, we invite you to apply for the relevant vacancy at suspiouscompany.com" it's from a "verified American logistics company" and I would be able to "work at home". The reason why I it's suspicious is 1. Work at home 2. They got my name SO wrong 3.a bot texted back. 

Yeah, definitely a scam. I was out of work for ages and spent a lot of time job hunting and I got TONS of these.

In my country you can get these and they are paid service Texts. So when you reply they hit you with a $5 charge and then for each follow up SMS that They send you. It's outrageous. Happened to me once but this so called 'paid service' can be switched off by your carrier and you never get them again.

5 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

In my country you can get these and they are paid service Texts. So when you reply they hit you with a $5 charge and then for each follow up SMS that They send you. It's outrageous. Happened to me once but this so called 'paid service' can be switched off by your carrier and you never get them again.

Holy crap! That's crazy. How much did they get?

For a while, unscrupulous persons were setting up these little paid service text schemes (like, $0.99 for your daily horoscope, sports tips, whatever) and going around to cellular telephone outlets and signing up all the sample phones for the service.

Eventually the carrier stores caught on and shut that down.

Both my parents fell for it.

It took them a few months before one of them said:

"Hey Shpaget, could you have a look at all these SMS I'm getting. They're annoying."

So, I unsubscribe the phone and explain how expensive it is. That's when the other parent quitly gives over the phone.

Hard to tell how much they lost, but the service was around $0,80 per message, one or two messages per day.

I think they fell for it by doing some online IQ test. Oh the irony.

Well, I guess the test itself is valid, as long as it deduces 20 points for providing your phone number.

You would have to be susceptible in being the naive blindman and act in a form of mindless self indulgence to take such e-mails seriously.
If a complete stranger offers you drinks, sex with his wife and perhaps the world itself he actually wants something that you have.

What I find the most annoying about this is that similar scams are often carried out by youngsters. Atleast things like internet fraud and other service scams have been reported in my home country to be carried out by 16 year olds and some even younger.
The transparant leaks in software are vast. And everyone these days carries some form of "internet of things" on their wrist, neck or in their pocket. So your in danger, pretty much everywhere you go.
Also I never click e-mail links with titles of similar nature. I know it's not meant for me and all e-mails that are meant for me seem transparantly obvious based on the title and who send it.

Edited by Razorforce7

35 minutes ago, Razorforce7 said:

If a complete stranger offers you drinks, sex with his wife and perhaps the world itself he actually wants something that you have.

As someone who offers strangers drinks (but no wife) almost every (infrequent) time I go to a bar, with no expectation besides an entertaining reaction to a first taste of chartreuse, I resent resemble that remark.

35 minutes ago, Razorforce7 said:

So your in danger, pretty much everywhere you go.

krakens. <this profanity filter is ridiculous, use your imagination> Paranoia solves nothing.
There have always been scammers, they used to use physical mail, now they use email and SMS - it's cheaper.
Just use your brain, if it's too good to be true, it 'aint. If it's too easy, there's a sting in the tail.

Also I never click e-mail links with titles of similar nature. I know it's not meant for me and all e-mails that are meant for me seem transparantly obvious based on the title and who send it.

Procmail + bogofilter + spamassassin + clamav works for me. I never even see 'em.

If "youngsters" are scamming you, perhaps you should out-skill them. Alternatively, just ignore them.

Edited by steve_v
This editor is APALLING, Kill it. Kill it with fire. Why the **** can't I add a quote to an edit. What a turd. Proper BBCode support please.

1 hour ago, steve_v said:

As someone who offers strangers drinks (but no wife) almost every (infrequent) time I go to a bar, with no expectation besides an entertaining reaction to a first taste of chartreuse, I resent resemble that remark.

Hah!

The first bar where I bartended had a "pain train" for new employees -- the first time you came in to drink off the clock, the bartender bought you a shot of chartreuse, a shot of fireball, and a shot of Jaeger, and you were supposed to pound them in that order.

Chartreuse is disgusting, but I know that swallowing something means you taste it less than if you spit it back out, so I had no trouble.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.