How do I change the Tech Tree?

daniel l.

On 4/6/2017 at 8:27 PM, daniel l. said:

I'm working on a mod that will need a custom Tech Tree. I would like to know how to do that without changing the file within the SQUAD folder.

For my Historical Progression Tech Tree, I created all of the CFG files by hand using Module Manager patches.

The Yonge Tech Tree Editor allows the player to use different Tech Trees without having to delete and install others. There is an interface that lets you choose at the beginning of the game. I know the Engineering Tech Tree and Cold War Progression Tech Tree use that. I am planning on using that for my next project that I am working on.

4 minutes ago, pap1723 said:

For my Historical Progression Tech Tree, I created all of the CFG files by hand using Module Manager patches.

The Yonge Tech Tree Editor allows the player to use different Tech Trees without having to delete and install others. There is an interface that lets you choose at the beginning of the game. I know the Engineering Tech Tree and Cold War Progression Tech Tree use that. I am planning on using that for my next project that I am working on.

I looked at the source code for your tech tree. But I could not make heads or tails of it. I've modified the stock Tech Tree file before, it was quite easy in fact. But all this ModuleManager stuff befuddles me.

19 minutes ago, daniel l. said:

But all this ModuleManager stuff befuddles me.

If you're planning on modifying any Squad (or other mod) configs, MM is the only way to fly. Otherwise your mod will be incompatible with any other mod that uses those files, and a right pain to install.
ModuleManager documentation is here, it mostly references part configs, but the same syntax applies to the tech tree.
One can always ask Sarbian about anything not found in the docs.

Edited by steve_v

• 2 weeks later...

The reason I switched to Yonge tech tree editor is because of the graphical interface that :

1. shows you what is not in a tech tree node.

2. lets you move node placement and links with the mouse.

3. lets you move parts from one node to another with the mouse, usually just a few clicks.

It  made things a lot easier for me personally, than editing the cfg file by hand.

The main drawback of using Yonge is when KSP updates to a new version (1.2.X to 1.3.X), you have to wait for Yonge or myself to recompile the mod.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.