How do I sink a Kerbal ?

Triop

If you have KAS, you can have your Kerbal grab a boat anchor. It works as designed.

If you're playing stock, you might need to stick a seat on an oar tank, fuel tank, or set of steel plates and ride that to the bottom.

Or you could make a submarine and EVA at the bottom.

22 minutes ago, Iamsodarncool said:

Attach them to something dense

14 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

If you have KAS, you can have your Kerbal grab a boat anchor. It works as designed.

If you're playing stock, you might need to stick a seat on an oar tank, fuel tank, or set of steel plates and ride that to the bottom.

Or you could make a submarine and EVA at the bottom.

You are both right, but somehow I got a Kerbal to walk on the ocean floor before without attachments.

I need a Kerbal to sink to the bottom to attach a KAS pipeline.

Thanks for the help guys.

I've had the same thing happen before and I'm pretty sure it came about from timewarp and reverting other crafts around it. Another way you may be able to achieve the results you're looking for is editing the kerbals buoyancy. I'm not sure how you would get around to doing this but it could work. :)

14 minutes ago, AccidentsHappen said:

I've had the same thing happen before and I'm pretty sure it came about from timewarp and reverting other crafts around it. Another way you may be able to achieve the results you're looking for is editing the kerbals buoyancy. I'm not sure how you would get around to doing this but it could work. :)

I've edited part files before, but never thought about editing kerbal files before, where do I find these files ?

Thanks for your help.

EDIT :

This is how it happened:

eNyZD6J.png

Edited by Triop

Install KIS and throw some stuff into inventory. I crushed an engineer to death trying to recover parts from a floating capsule - he sank and died. Be aware - you can only get rid of parts in KIS by setting them on the ground or attaching to another part. so if you're doing work on your drill head and fall off the ladder in deep water, you're hosed. 

I recommend picking up a winch cable to use as a safety line. They work wonders for that sort of thing.

Also.. one could do the reverse. Pick up a winch cable.. and knock the winch into the water. I hear the Kerbal Mafia makes extensive use of concrete bases with winch attachments.

I Miss Your Crazy Crazy Kerbal...

@ Topic i use some Water Installations to Farm Karbonite, Water and so on and for underwater Konstruction i use mostly a Groundpilon in inventar from KAS. The kerbal is able to jump on ground with help of RCS, only 1/2m but it helps in Konstruction 

I recall when editing KIS\KAS to make it permissable to carry around spare locomotive wheels in thier inventory at 1.2 ton per wheel.. They had trouble jumping

How about modding kerbal backpacks to accept fully loaded ore tanks or indeed edit something like the cubic boxy thing to weigh several solar masses.. And use it as a diving weight?

No liability for kerbals falling 1cm and exploding btw :)

19 minutes ago, Urses said:

I Miss Your Crazy Crazy Kerbal...

@ Topic i use some Water Installations to Farm Karbonite, Water and so on and for underwater Konstruction i use mostly a Groundpilon in inventar from KAS. The kerbal is able to jump on ground with help of RCS, only 1/2m but it helps in Konstruction 

Sorry, I see you had the same idea and we posted 12m apart..you must have posted while I was typing and de-trainifying an explaination of the same idea

8 minutes ago, Overland said:

Sorry, I see you had the same idea and we posted 12m apart..you must have posted while I was typing and de-trainifying an explaination of the same idea

If 2 People Think the Same here may be something right in there.:wink:

For your Prime suggestion. It would be interesting to Edit Kerbal Backpack to accept the inflatable Floats and leadwights... this way you have a controlable float and buoncy. (Both parts are in USI constelation. Survivabilty + Subpack) hmm a new part with this ability maybe like "Diveharness"?

Edited by Urses

I found out a while ago making a resource negative density also stops it in mid air.. 

Makes good for things you want to..plant... In the sky (or water?)

Using an engine alternator feature to pump said resource into a tank.. Itll then spin on its axis in the sky but never go up or down..until resource jettisoned

Like a spotlight laden artificial sun can be parked in the sky this way

(Learnt from failed antigravity train experiments)

6 hours ago, fourfa said:

Install KIS and throw some stuff into inventory. I crushed an engineer to death trying to recover parts from a floating capsule - he sank and died. Be aware - you can only get rid of parts in KIS by setting them on the ground or attaching to another part. so if you're doing work on your drill head and fall off the ladder in deep water, you're hosed. 

Errr... how did he die from that? Couldn't you just drop parts once you got to the sea floor? I also could have sworn there was a key that let you drop stuff... like... L or something

Short answer.

One word: "Cheat"

VlYhToC.png

Spoiler
xkN4f1L.png

Spoiler

I edited the quicksave file.

Found Jeb then scrolled to his resources.

Replaced the "EVA Propellant" with "Ore" (Spelt those ways).

Made the quantity 20 (8 made Jeb sink but very slowly)(20 was a good sink speed and he walks and run quite normally. Jumps a bit low me think).

On the subsequent reload the game added the Eva Propellant back.

EDIT:

I have been playing with the Ore while on the bottom.

With 7.3 Jeb as a slight sink. When he jumps he can swim and eventually touches bottom. Or swim to an upslope and makes contact.

The RCS fails and is stowed on it's own.

Edited by Martian Emigrant

4 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Errr... how did he die from that? Couldn't you just drop parts once you got to the sea floor? I also could have sworn there was a key that let you drop stuff... like... L or something

Can't you just place things against the side of your helmet and then let them drift away?

I used to do that all the time in space.

Crush depth (if you have it turned on in settings) of

Spoiler

396m

for kerbals is much less than the depth of most of the ocean, that's how kerbals die from sinking.

If there's a way to drop things in water, no one on the KIS thread seems to know about it

4 hours ago, Martian Emigrant said:

Short answer.

One word: "Cheat"

Reveal hidden contents
xkN4f1L.png

Reveal hidden contents

I edited the quicksave file.

Found Jeb then scrolled to his resources.

Replace the "EVA Propellant" with "Ore" (Spelt those ways).

Made the quantity 20 (8 made Jeb sink but very slowly)(20 was a good sink speed and he walks and run quite normally. Jumps a bit low me think).

On the subsequent reload the game added the Eva Propellant back.

EDIT:

I have been playing with the Ore while on the bottom.

With 7.3 Jeb as a slight sink. When he jumps he can swim and eventually touches bottom. Or swim to an upslope and makes contact.

The RCS fails and is stowed on it's own.

Thank you, that did the trick !

jgY6Peb.png

I've got myself a diver !

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.