A mod that adds toggleable input lag?

Ryu Gemini

This is just a funny idea I had, but what if you had a mod that you could toggle on and off while on a mission.  When toggled on, it would purposely add a user-defined number of seconds of input lag.  It does take time for signals to move the sorts of distances involved in space after all (from Earth to the Moon is what, about a second?) 

If you wanted to make it a more automated "challenge" mod, rather than a just-for-fun thing you toggle, you could have it add some amount of time for any vessel in a sphere of influence without a manned vessel it can connect to.  Naturally, to avoid the problems that would occur with signals taking multiple hours to get around the Kerbol system, you could act like the signals still do travel much faster than the speed of light in our universe, or just do something like add one second each time the signal has to change sphere-of-influence on its way from a manned ship to the unmanned vessel you are controlling.  Or, you could input some controls, then hit a button to carry out what you input to simulate having to wait a while for the signals to reach the target. 

I mean, yeah, the assumption is that most unmanned KSP vessels have an onboard AI that operates them to a partial extent, but sending of actual commands should realistically take time and add to the challenge, right? 

Speaking of challenges, I could totally see there being challenges to launch a rocket to the mun and back with something like 2-3 seconds of input lag or something the whole way.  Much crashing I imagine. 

RemoteTech offers this as a configurable feature for controlling unmanned spacecraft. However, I don't believe it's toggleable ingame at will - you might have to change it in a config file. I don't know, it's been a while since I had it installed last. You should definitely give it a try though. :)

Edited by Streetwind

20 hours ago, Streetwind said:

RemoteTech offers this as a configurable feature for controlling unmanned spacecraft. However, I don't believe it's toggleable ingame at will - you might have to change it in a config file. I don't know, it's been a while since I had it installed last. You should definitely give it a try though. :)

Yes, currently the best option is RemoteTech and signal delay can be toggled on/off in Space Center view. Here's the wiki link. But it also provides a whole new communication network mechanic.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.