Mission Idea: Emulating Real Life in Kerbal Space Program [WIP] [Submit a Payload] [Become a Launch Provider] Craft Submission Thread!

Emulating Real Life in KSP- Craft Submission Thread

This is the official thread for craft submission under the Emulating Real Life in KSP project created by myself @Oliverm001x and @TheEpicSquared.

Here is where the LP's and PP's post their respective craft. (Note: read specific rules before posting!)

General Rules, Consult Before Submitting:

Spoiler

Save file rules

1. I will keep hold of the save file, and do the launches (LVs and payloads will be given to be via KerbalX, Dropbox, etc). I will use MechJeb for everything, so there is no possibility of tampering or bias. Only design of rockets will affect launches.

Launch Provider (LP) rules: rockets, funds & time, and LP information

Rockets

2. Lifters developed by the LPs are required to be realistic. To ensure this, every rocket should be put on KerbalX, Dropbox, etc, with a link given to me, so I can validate the craft’s realism. If a rocket is deemed unrealistic, it will not be allowed, and the LP will have to make another, more realistic, rocket.

3. Rocket development will take place under several controlled stages, to emulate real life. First, the launch providers will develop a first iteration rocket, which cannot not exceed 20 meters in height (including a fairing) and 1.25m in width (excluding fins, fairings, legs, etc). This rocket will be your base rocket. The first iteration cannot be propulsively landed, however, recovery using parachutes is permitted. Again, realism. The rocket can be developed into several iterations, but a completely new rocket cannot be unveiled until a certain time limit (3 kerbal months) is passed. As time goes on, this time will decrease as LPs get more experience. This is to ensure natural progression.

4. Rockets cannot be SSTOs, spaceplane or rocket.

5. Launch vehicles cannot have any active reaction wheels. Use RCS instead (remember, realism).

Funds & times

6. Each LP gets a set budget. This is increased by launching missions for payload providers. Obviously, a launch will only generate a profit if the satellite launch sells for more than the cost of the fully fueled rocket + launch expenses (0.1x cost of rocket, subject to change, times the cost of the fully fueled rocket.

7. Each LP must list a selling price for each of its rockets. Obviously, it helps if the selling price is more than the cost of a rocket, since that’s the only way to make money and prevent bankruptcy.  

8. The profit from a satellite launch is added to the LP’s budget. (For example, if the budget before launch is 100,000; the cost of one rocket is 40,000; and the cost of one launch is 60,000; the profit is 20,000. This gets added onto the LP’s budget before the launch, which was 100,000 in this case. That means that the new budget is 120,000. Pretty basic maths.)

9. If rockets are reusable, the cost of the reused part can be subtracted from the rocket cost when calculating profit per launch. However, LPs will have to add back on the cost of fuel for the reused part, plus 0.2 (subject to change) times the cost of the reusable part, to simulate recovery and refurbishment operations. If an attempted recovery fails (for example a first stage that explodes upon landing), the cost of the reusable part cannot be subtracted from the rocket’s cost when calculating profit.

10. Development costs of a rocket is 5x the cost of the rocket. This means that the cost of the first launch will 6x the cost of the rocket.

11. Should an LP run out of funds, it can either declare itself bankrupt, and withdraw from launch services for a set amount of time, or request a funds injection from another LP. If the request is granted, the specified amount of funds will be given to the bankrupt LP, and the LP giving the money will have the specified amount deducted from their total funds.

12. Launch failures will have consequences. If the rocket and the payload are destroyed (due to a DangIt failure, etc) then the LP will lose twice the cost of the rocket, along with 1.5x that of the satellite. If the rocket is destroyed but the satellite is recovered intact, the LP will lose 1.5x the cost of the rocket, along with 1.2x the payload cost (for repairing costs).

13. If a launch failure occurs, that rocket cannot be launched for a set amount of time (10x the KCT build time of the rocket.).

14. Should a Payload Provider (PP) decide to change to a different LP for whatever reason (for example if a launch failure results in the grounding of a rocket), then the original LP loses 0.3x the cost of the rocket, for refitting the rocket for a new payload.

15. Each kerbal month, money will be deducted from an LP’s budget (2% of the company's budget). This is to simulate taxes, operating costs, etc.

LP information

16. LPs are required to calculate success percentages for each of their lifters. This, along with launch cost and other details, will be displayed in the OP, so payload providers can choose who they want to launch with. I will give you the info, and you work it out and give the numbers back to me, for me to display in the OP.

Payload Provider (PP) rules

17. The PP must answer the following questions to submit a payload:

a) Payload name?

b) Payload provider?

c) Type of payload?

d) Payload price?

e) Payload mass, part count and dimensions?

f) Intended orbit (apoapsis, periapsis, inclination, any other orbital info)?

g) Short description of the payload?

h) Launch provider chosen?

i) Which rocket of the launch provider?

j) [OPTIONAL] Deadline - is there a specific date the payload needs to be launched by? Specify this using the kerbal Universal Time.

k) Any other info you think is worth knowing?

18. If a payload needs to be launched during a certain period (eg. a transfer window), the PP must specify the dates of the beginning and end of the launch period (using KSP Universal Time).

19. Payloads can have reaction wheels for orientation.

20. The PP must provide a KerbalX, Dropbox, etc link for the payload.

Miscellaneous rules

18. Launch vehicles and payloads can only use mods specified in the mod list. If you think that a mod should be added, PM me.

19. In the OP, I will keep a launch manifest of every single launch (much like the SpaceflightNow launch schedule). I will follow this schedule, unless unforeseen occurrences happen. For example, if there is a launch failure, that rocket will obviously be grounded for some time (see rule 13) before it can launch again. In that case, PPs can either switch to another LP (resulting in the LP with the grounded rocket losing 1.3x the cost of the rocket)

Launch Provider Information:

Spoiler

Development related info

1. Launch vehicles must be realistic. This means:

a) No SSTOs

b) No 8-core-monstrosities-held-together-by-girders-with-the-payload-in-the-middle type of rockets

c) No futuristic components (especially engines) like FTL drives, warp drives, antimatter fusion engines, etc.

Failure to comply (wow, that sounds formal) will result in your lifter not "making the cut", so to speak. Post a KerbalX, Dropbox, etc link on this thread for me to make sure that your lifter is realistic.     

2. The first iteration of your lifter cannot exceed 20m in height (including a reasonably-sized fairing) and 1.25m in width/length (excluding things like fins, wide fairings, landing legs, etc). This is because in real life, space companies didn't start out with massive Delta IV Heavy type boosters, they started small.

3. Rockets cannot be SSTOs, spaceplane or otherwise.

4. Launch vehicles cannot have any active reaction wheels. Use RCS instead (remember, realism).

5. For the first iteration, propulsive landing recovery is not permitted. Parachutes are, though. Propulsive landing can start from the second iteration onwards.

6. Development costs of a rocket is 5x the cost of the rocket.

Funds management related info

7. Your company gets a set budget at the beginning. This is given out case-by-case.

8. Your budget increases only if you make a profit on your launch (remember, each rocket must have a selling price, preferably higher than the rocket cost).

9. The cost of a launch to the LP is the cost of the fully-fueled rocket + 0.1x the cost of the rocket (launch expenses). As stated above, it helpsif your selling price is higher than this.

10. The cost of a reused part of a rocket (a first stage, for instance) can be subtracted from the rocket cost when calculating profit per launch. However, LPs will have to add back on the cost of fuel for the reused part, plus 0.2x the cost of the reusable part, to simulate recovery and refurbishment operations. If an attempted recovery fails (for example a first stage that explodes upon landing), the cost of the reusable part cannot be subtracted from the rocket’s cost when calculating profit (obviously). However, the 0.2x multiplier will still have to be added on, to simulate recovery operations and potential repairs to recovery equipment.

11. If an LP runs out of funds, it can either declare itself bankrupt, and withdraw from launch services for a set amount of time (assigned case-by-case), or request a funds injection from another LP. If the request is granted, the specified amount of funds will be given to the bankrupt LP, and the LP giving the money will have the specified amount deducted from their total funds.

12. The consequences of a launch failure are tough. If the rocket and the payload are destroyed (due to a DangIt failure, etc) then the LP will lose twice the cost of the rocket, along with 1.5x that of the satellite. If the rocket is destroyed but the satellite is recovered intact, the LP will lose 2x the cost of the rocket as usual, along with 1.2x the payload cost (for repairing costs). 

13. If a PP decides to change to a different LP for whatever reason, then the original LP loses 0.3x the cost of the rocket, for having to refit the rocket for a new payload.

14. Each kerbal month, 2% of an LP's budget will be deducted from the total budget. This is to simulate taxes, operating costs, etc.

Miscellaneous info

15. LPs will calculate success percentages for each of their lifters. This, along with launch cost and other details, will be displayed in the OP, so payload providers can choose who they want to launch with. I will give you the info, and you work it out and give the numbers back to me, for me to display in the OP.

16. Launch vehicles can only use mods specified in the mod list. If you think that a mod should be added, PM @Oliverm001x or @theepicsquared.

Payload Provider Information:

Spoiler

Payload related info

1. The PP must answer the following questions to submit a payload:
    a) Payload name?
    b) Payload provider?
    c) Type of payload?
    d) Payload price?
    e) Payload mass, part count and dimensions?
    f) Intended orbit (apoapsis, periapsis, inclination, any other orbital info)?
    g) Short description of the payload?
    h) Launch provider chosen?
    i) Which rocket of the launch provider? 
    j) [OPTIONAL] Deadline - is there a specific date the payload needs to be launched by? Specify this using the kerbal Universal Time.
    k) Any other info you think is worth knowing?
These questions are also listed further down in the OP.

2. If a payload needs to be launched during a certain period (eg. a transfer window), the PP has to specify the dates of the beginning and end of the launch period (using KSP Universal Time), or risk missing their window.

MIscellaneous info

3. The PP must provide a KerbalX, Dropbox, etc link for the payload.

4. Only the mods specified in the mod list can be used for the payload. If you think a mod should be added, PM @TheEpicSquared or @Oliverm001x.

We look forward to receiving and flying your craft!

Edited by Oliverm001x

Here is my Aquila 1. It launches one ton to LKO. It's totally reusable. Aquila 1 (Sorry, no pictures, I forgot to take screenshots of final version, will get tomorrow.)

Works in stock with Mechjeb, any mod that changes aerodynamics or stock parts may cause issues. 

Cost to customer: :funds:25,000

Success rate to date: 100%

Log:

Spoiler

Test Flight 1: Payload delivered to orbit. First stage not recovered. Second stage not recovered.

(Chutes added to first stage.)

Test Flight 2: Payload delivered to orbit. First stage not recovered. Second stage not recovered.

(More chutes added to first stage.)

Test Flight 3: Payload delivered to orbit. First stage recovered. Second stage not recovered.

(Add chutes to second stage, change reentry attitude to retrograde.)

Test Flight 4: Payload delivered to orbit. First stage recovered. Second stage recovered.

(No changes)

Manual:

Spoiler

0. Do not put more than one ton on this rocket.

1. Make sure lower stage engines are limited to 80%

2. Set Mechjeb to 80 km orbit.(For polar orbit 80 km ).

3. Launch. (From Equator)

4. Just before first stage burnout, turn on RCS. Let it on.

4.1 First stage lands with parachutes.

5. Watch Mechjeb at final circulization. if rocket starts to cartwheel, shut off Mechjeb and engine.(Mechjeb bug.)

6. Separate Payload

6.1 Point second stage retrograde and deorbit. (Not over a city!)

6.2 RETROGRADE HOLD FOR REENTRY!!! (I cannot stress this enough.)

6.3 During reentry, burn off any remaining fuel.

6.4 Second stage lands with parachutes. Turn off RCS before deploying chutes.

If you failed to read this, warranty is voided.

Edited by Brent Kerman
Fixed Manual.

Here is my super low cost launcher

Stats:

:funds: 15,720! so cheap (p.s i am not Elon Kerman :))

launcher cost for Payload provider :funds: 20,000 ( :funds: 19,000 for booster re-flight i will have 5 boosters at any one time)

Deltav: 5536m/s

WORKING (Im shure this time) https://kerbalx.com/KerbinOrbiter/Pimenova-FULLY-REUSABLE

Oops i made a mistake the rocket doesnt have a TWR of 1 at MECO! (am i alowed to change it since i didnt test it)

also i would like to mention keep a mostly VERTICAL gravity turn or it will flip out and do what usualy happens

reusablilty All but fairings and fairing base yup, thats right im going a whole lot further here with both stages being reusable!

@TheEpicSquared i have now changed it for you, enjoy!

p.s the first stage (and the Second stage) defeinetly is reusable just make sure you fly it with a mostly vertical flight path (still same with the Pimenova)

Edited by kerbinorbiter
adding updated cost info and Dv info

Artemis I

Dimensions 19.9x1.4x1.4

The fuel tanks and engines do not extend past 1.25 meters

https://kerbalx.com/Fraus/Artemis-I

:funds:25,000

Test flights with 2 ton payloads for first stage recovery as well as lunar payload capacity have been completed.

LKO : 3 Tons

Polar : 2 Tons

GTO : 2 Tons

TLI : 1 Ton

First stage recovery not including refurbishment costs is : :funds:6,542

Description : First generation launcher of the Artemis rocket family, experimenting with engines with gimbal for steering and a high efficiency aerospike upper stage engine

1 hour ago, Brent Kerman said:

@Fraus I'm pretty sure no reaction wheels are allowed.

Active reaction wheels aren't, check the kerbalX file and you'll see its disabled, originally had it for aesthetic purposes with batteries and I didn't want to rewrite all my prices and the such so I left it

Also I am aware that it is a waste of money but I'm not the best at economical decisions

Edited by Fraus
Economics

Skylon Aerospace Technologies: Arthur-1

Non-technical description and testing:

Spoiler

The Arthur-1 is built by SAT and is designed to test their avionics units and to lift their first sattelites into space. After just weeks of development they had designed their first engine, the Reliant-G2. This is an innovative three-bell design like that of the Soyuz and it allows for lighter gimballing systems as it does not have to move around the largest central bell. (This is a 1.25m Reliant and two twitch engines). The upper stage uses a vacuum Ter-1 Vacuum engine. Stats and testing coming soon.

Upper stage test: n7wDthO.jpgLower stage test: 3OqTODe.jpgTest launch with 2.660t payload: ByQmekl.jpgAll tests successful. Arthur-1 is go for commercial launch.

Stats:

Spoiler
  • Customer Price: 18,000:funds:
  • LKO Payload: 2.75t (to 100km)
  • LKO Cost/Kilo: 6.55:funds:
  • 500km Payload: 1.7t (tested)
  • KTO Payload: 1.5t (payload will require at least 450m/s of Delta V
  • TMI (Trans-Munar Injection): 1t (to Mun flyby)
  • Use mechjeb settings used in test launch.
  • Cross-Section: 1.25m
  • Height during demo launch: 19m
  • Can be deorbited from all of the above circumstances

Note: The craft can carry more payload than the ones given, but if the payload is greater than the suggested value, warranty is void (we don't pay you if we fail the mission).

DECOUPLER NOT INCLUDED

Craft: https://kerbalx.com/Skylon/Arthur-1

Image: Z7s0ZR9.jpg

WARRANTY VOID IF:

• The above conditions are not met
  • Lost communication (payload should provide communication)
  • Run out of E/C (payload should generate this

Edited by Skylon

13 hours ago, KenjiKrafts said:

@TheEpicSquared Can the craft have SRB's on the side of it making it wider than 1.25m wide?

Discussion on the other thread, please. We are trying to keep this one clear so everyone's craft are easier to see. And no I assume. Save SRBs for later variants.

Edited by Skylon

Skylon Aerospace Technologies: Skysat Series

SkySat-1A:

Spoiler
  • This is a commsat
  • It weighs 0.29t
  • It costs 4,840 fundsgDn3R6E.jpg

Craft file: https://kerbalx.com/Skylon/SkySat-1A

Launch configuration 1: https://kerbalx.com/Skylon/SkySat-1A-LC1

Skysat-1B: 

Spoiler
  • This is a commsat.
  • It weighs 0.64t
  • It costs 5,000:funds:
  • I want one three in a 500km orbit, equally spaced.
  •  
  •  

CxnqcxK.jpg

Craft file: https://kerbalx.com/Skylon/SkySat-1B

SkySat-0:

Spoiler
  • I would like this to be launched on my own Arthur-1 rocket
  • Weighs 1.698t
  • Made up of 12 cubesats (which can't relay) and 1 SkySat-1B
  • Costs 25,151 (!?)
  • Satellites should be released
  • https://kerbalx.com/Skylon/Skysat-0

5JcZIBC.jpg

I assume this will be first to launch.

Edited by Skylon

13 hours ago, KenjiKrafts said:

@TheEpicSquared Can the craft have SRB's on the side of it making it wider than 1.25m wide?

Not on the first iteration, they are allowed from the second iteration onwards.

11 hours ago, Fraus said:

Artemis I

Dimensions 19.9x1.4x1.4

The fuel tanks and engines do not extend past 1.25 meters

https://kerbalx.com/Fraus/Artemis-I

:funds:25,000

Test flights with 2 ton payloads for first stage recovery as well as lunar payload capacity have been completed.

LKO : 3 Tons

Polar : 2 Tons

GTO : 2 Tons

TLI : 1 Ton

First stage recovery not including refurbishment costs is : :funds:6,542

Description : First generation launcher of the Artemis rocket family, experimenting with engines with gimbal for steering and a high efficiency aerospike upper stage engine

Your rocket will be added to the launch manifest.

9 hours ago, icantmakemodels said:

ICMM aerospace presents...

Athena I.

http://kerbalx.com/Blacksilver/Athena-I

Fully expendable; 34,100 funds without payload or fairing. Est. selling price: 40,000 funds.

Pics:

Reveal hidden contents

lCvChxL.jpg

v1XxRcO.jpg

4 hours ago, CairoJack said:

Cobra I

Payload to LKO: 2.5 tons

In the image the rocket had a payload, so real cost is 11,773 founds

3 hours ago, Skylon said:

I am going to be posting all of my Arthur-Series launchers here.

Skylon Aerospace Technologies: Arthur Series

Arthur-1: 

Reveal hidden contents

The Arthur-1 is built by SAT and is designed to test their avionics units and to lift their first sattelites into space. After just weeks of development they had designed their first engine, the Rel-1G. This is an innovative three-bell design like that of the Soyuz and it allows for lighter gimballing systems as it does not have to move around the largest central bell. (This is a 1.25m Reliant and two twitch engines). The upper stage uses a vacuum Ter-1 Vacuum engine. Stats and testing coming soon.

Upper stage test: n7wDthO.jpgLower stage test: n7wDthO.jpgTest launch with 2.660t payload: ByQmekl.jpgAll tests successful. Arthur-1 is go for commercial launch.

Stats:

Reveal hidden contents
  • Customer Price: 20,000:funds:
  • LKO Payload: 2.5t
  • LKO Cost/Ton:
  • KTO Payload: 1.5t (payload will require at least 450m/s of Delta V
  • TMI (Trans-Munar Injection): 1t (to Mun flyby)
  • Use mechjeb settings used in test launch.
  • Cross-Section: 1.25m
  • Height during demo launch: 19m
  • Can be deorbited from all of the above circumstances

Note: The craft can carry more payload than the ones given, but if the payload is greater than the suggested value, warranty is void (we don't pay you if we fail the mission).

DECOUPLER NOT INCLUDED

Craft: https://kerbalx.com/Skylon/Arthur-1

Image: Z7s0ZR9.jpg

WARRANTY VOID IF:

• The above conditions are not met
  • Lost communication (payload should provide communication)
  • Run out of E/C (payload should generate this

Arthur-2:

Reveal hidden contents

As kerbals rallied outside the Skylon Space Centre demanding 'Moar Payload', the CEO of Skylon Aerospace Technologies asked his engineers how to increase the payload capacity of the Arthur-1. One bright young soul suggested that they add 'Moar Boosters!'. And so the Arthur-2 development program began, under the slogan 'Moar Payload? Moar Boosters!'ReOITu6.jpg0.625m 'Matchstick' Booster test successful.

The Arthur-1 will be added to the launch manifest. The Arthur-2 will be launched at a later date.

3 hours ago, qzgy said:

This looks cool. I may become both a pp and lp if I have time

Awesome!

1 hour ago, Skylon said:

Discussion on the other thread, please. We are trying to keep this one clear so everyone's craft are easier to see. And no I assume. Save SRBs for later variants.

Indeed.

1 hour ago, Skylon said:

Skylon Aerospace Technologies: Skysat Series

Skysat-1B: 

Reveal hidden contents
  • This is a commsat.
  • It weighs 0.64t
  • It costs 5,000:funds:
  • I want one of them launched as a test, anywhere in orbit
  •  
  • I am waiting on a larger launch to piggyback on, to reduce price, as none of the current launchers satisfy my price needs (not even my own, as it is designed for much larger payloads) OR:
  • I am willing to pay up to 10,000:funds:for the Aquila 1 by @Brent Kerman (25,000 is too much for 1 ton. If you are using a vector, don't until you really need it like for a 2.5m craft)
  •  
  • I will also pay for @Fraus's Artemis I to take one of these to any Mun orbit (this thing should be able to circularise itself).

CxnqcxK.jpg

Craft file: https://kerbalx.com/Skylon/SkySat-1B

•  

You will be added to the payload provider list.

Oohhh your rocket has the same stats as mine Cairo :confused:. I guess I will have to increase my payload rating since I can, my demo payload weighed 2.660t :cool:

Also I  now have a record of planned Arthur Launch Vehicles.

Edited by Skylon