Mission Idea: Emulating Real Life in Kerbal Space Program [WIP] [Submit a Payload] [Become a Launch Provider] Craft Submission Thread!

20 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Not yet, however I think (@Andiron please confirm via our PM) that I have a launch contract for three (might be expanded in the future) Vincin launches on the Iridium I, to validate the systems in the Vincin.

Once those tests are complete, @Andiron can figure something out. :) 

I updated my craft to be compatible with Kerbalism, I called him the Vincin I+. It has approximately 10 days of survability (limited by food and water) and has more solar panels to comply with Kerbalism needs. It is of course heavier, rising to 2.9t and higher, rising to 4.36m. @TheEpicSquared, you can replace the Vincin I by the Vincin I+ in the launch manifest, and maybe merge the static fire and the abort test.

File on KerbalX: https://kerbalx.com/Andiron/Vincin-I+

liArRlm.jpg

Spoiler

Vincin I+ 

a) Payload name? Vincin I+
    b) Payload provider? @Andiron
    c) Type of payload? Manned spacecraft
    d) Payload price? 6446 kb
    e) Payload mass, part count and dimensions? 2.9t / 38 parts / 4.36x1.36x1.36
    f) Intended orbit (apoapsis, periapsis, inclination, any other orbital info)? Pad test(static fire and abort), suborbital flight then LKO
    g) Short description of the payload? One-man capsule with an abort system and a service module

Edited by Andiron

1 hour ago, Andiron said:

I updated my craft to be compatible with Kerbalism, I called him the Vincin I+. It has approximately 10 days of survability (limited by food and water) and has more solar panels to comply with Kerbalism needs. It is of course heavier, rising to 2.9t and higher, rising to 4.36m. @TheEpicSquared, you can replace the Vincin I by the Vincin I+ in the launch manifest, and maybe merge the static fire and the abort test.

File on KerbalX: https://kerbalx.com/Andiron/Vincin-I+

liArRlm.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

Vincin I+ 

a) Payload name? Vincin I+
    c) Type of payload? Manned spacecraft
    d) Payload price? 6446 kb
    e) Payload mass, part count and dimensions? 2.9t / 38 parts / 4.36x1.36x1.36
    f) Intended orbit (apoapsis, periapsis, inclination, any other orbital info)? Pad test(static fire and abort), suborbital flight then LKO
    g) Short description of the payload? One-man capsule with an abort system and a service module

I'll download it when I can. Anyway, do we have an agreement for 3 launches of the Vincin on my LV? :wink: 

1 hour ago, TheEpicSquared said:

I'll download it when I can. Anyway, do we have an agreement for 3 launches of the Vincin on my LV? :wink: 

Ok, sounds good for LKO flights. Might need 4, though. I still need a less powerful rocket for a suborbital flight first, if someone is interested.

18 minutes ago, Andiron said:

Ok, sounds good for LKO flights. Might need 4, though. I still need a less powerful rocket for a suborbital flight first, if someone is interested.

Its heavy, I need to run some calculations, but initial math says I should be able to get it suborbital for :funds:25,000. (Definitely not orbital)

@TheEpicSquared

Update: All Arthur Series rockets should have RCS turned on from launch. Mechjeb settings should start the gravity turn ASAP also with roll enabled. Q should be limited to 20,000, and the turn shape should be 45%. Roll control on upper stages doesn't seem to work very well, so turn RCS off after separation, but back on if any problems occur (or turn off mechjeb) or if mechjeb is coasting to circularisation.

Edited by Skylon

7 hours ago, Andiron said:

6 hours ago, Brent Kerman said:

Its heavy, I need to run some calculations, but initial math says I should be able to get it suborbital for :funds:25,000. (Definitely not orbital)

I should be able to take one to sub-orbital on an Iridium I first stage (I'll have to check) for the bargain price of :funds:10,000. And I'll add the three Vincin flights to the manifest. PM me if you want the contract expanded. :wink: 

16 minutes ago, Skylon said:

@TheEpicSquared

Update: All Arthur Series rockets should have RCS turned on from launch. Mechjeb settings should start the gravity turn ASAP also with roll enabled. Q should be limited to 20,000, and the turn shape should be 45%. Roll control on upper stages doesn't seem to work very well, so turn RCS off after separation, but back on if any problems occur (or turn off mechjeb) or if mechjeb is coasting to circularisation.

Gotcha. Instructions have been copied over to my phone. :) 

SkyTech Aerospace: Arthur-2
Non-technical description and testing:

Spoiler

As kerbals rallied outside the Skylon Space Centre demanding 'Moar Payload', the CEO of Skylon Aerospace Technologies asked his engineers how to increase the payload capacity of the Arthur-1. One bright young soul suggested that they add 'Moar Boosters!'. And so the Arthur-2 development program began, under the slogan 'Moar Payload? Moar Boosters!'.

The number of boosters was decided at four, though a two-booster version would not be hard to develop.

ReOITu6.jpg0.625m 'Matchstick' Booster test successful.

Stats and technical description:

Spoiler

4 'Matchstick' solid rocket boosters added on to the original Arthur-1 rocket.
Reusable except for SRBs
Cost: 15,000
LKO Payload: 3.4 tons
LKO Cost/kilo: 4.41:funds:per kilo
KTO: Unknown
KEO: Unknown
TMI: Unknown

https://kerbalx.com/Skylon/Arthur-2

EDIT: KerbalX link added

Edited by Skylon

To have goals for manned spacecrafts, I created this docking target equipped with two docking ports (one normal and one Jr.). It was build in the intent of using it with my craft, the Vincin, but everybody can use it! I decided to put it on a 100x100km orbit with an inclination of 120° to make it reachable by rockets from Baikerbanur.

KerbalX file: https://kerbalx.com/Andiron/VDT

Zenk7pG.jpg

Spoiler

VDT

a) Payload name? VDT (Vincin Docking Target)
    c) Type of payload? Docking target
    d) Payload price? 3942 kb
    e) Payload mass, part count and dimensions? 1.485t / 34 parts / 1.78x1.25x1.25
    f) Intended orbit (apoapsis, periapsis, inclination, any other orbital info)? 100 km circular LKO, 120° inclination
    g) Short description of the payload? Docking target for manned spacecraft

Edited by Andiron

3 hours ago, Andiron said:

To have goals for manned spacecrafts, I created this docking target equipped with two docking ports (one normal and one Jr.). It was build in the intent of using it with my craft, the Vincin, but everybody can use it! I decided to put it on a 100x100km orbit with an inclination of 120° to make it reachable by rockets from Baikerbanur.

Zenk7pG.jpg

Hide contents

VDT

f) Intended orbit (apoapsis, periapsis, inclination, any other orbital info)? 100 km circular LKO, 120° inclination

I would like to provide the launch for this payload on the Theta 1 launcher from the Baikerbanur launch site assuming you havent picked a Launch Provider yet. 

3 hours ago, Andiron said:

Zenk7pG.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

VDT

22 minutes ago, Uace24 said:

I would like to provide the launch for this payload on the Theta 1 launcher from the Baikerbanur launch site assuming you havent picked a Launch Provider yet. 

My Iridium I can lift two at once. Also, that would give you a launch price of 19,500. This is 500 funds cheaper than Uace's Theta 1, and I can take two at once. 

19 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

My Iridium I can lift two at once. Also, that would give you a launch price of 19,500. This is 500 funds cheaper than Uace's Theta 1, and I can take two at once. 

I will slash prices and give you a price of 18,500 even with the 10% markup that would be cheaper than the Iridum Lifter. And it is able to carry 2 payloads also and the 18,500 is for a dual launch. 

14 minutes ago, Uace24 said:

I will slash prices and give you a price of 18,500 even with the 10% markup that would be cheaper than the Iridum Lifter. And it is able to carry 2 payloads also and the 18,500 is for a dual launch. 

How can the Theta 1 take two at once? Together, 2 of the VDT weigh 2.8 tons, and your launcher can only take 1.5 tons.

@Andiron I think my offer is better. :wink: 

Just now, TheEpicSquared said:

How can the Theta 1 take two at once? Together, 2 of the VDT weigh 2.8 tons, and your launcher can only take 1.5 tons.

@Andiron I think my offer is better. :wink: 

It is posibble if theta flies with 4 boosters instead of 2 

SkyTech Aerospace: StarGate Station Modules

SG-L1 Logistics Module:

Spoiler

MvQx2WW.jpgThis module is designed to provide power, propulsion and control to a station. It has:

• A fuel tank and engines
  • A small and medium docking port
  • Two extendable solar panels
  • RCS fuel and thrusters
  • A high gain and low gain antenna
  • A probe core and batteries

It weighs 4.608 tons.
It costs 16,260 funds

I have chosen @TheEpicSquared to launch this to a 100km orbit (will be moved later) with an inclination of 25 degrees. It may use its own propulsion. When positioned in orbit, it shall be named to StarGate 1, and will be the start of a new station

@Andiron would you like to have your Vincin dock to this instead? It would cost 1,000 unmanned, 1,500 manned and 50% of a tourist mission profit. This would be much cheaper than having your own VDT launched Or we could do some kind of collaboration in making the whole station.

@TheEpicSquared it would be cool to have a manifest/list of ongoing/in construction missions, like maybe a probe going to the Mun or space station orbiting. And we could have a list and/or map of the satellites and their orbits.

Edited by Skylon

I'm building a station resupply module for Copper 1, so could I launch 5 of them to dock with the station before it boosts to a higher orbit? It will just need one free docking port for all of them.

Here is a link to it mounted on an unmodified Copper 1: https://kerbalx.com/53miner53/Copper-1-Launch

Edited by 53miner53

8 hours ago, Skylon said:

5 of what?

5 of my station resupply modules. I could send them up to add to the station's life support capabilities. And use extra monoprop from Copper 1's second stage to refuel monoprop on the station if necessary.

SkyTech Aerospace: STP-1 'Vogon' Spaceplane

STP-1A:

Spoiler

P1pRANi.jpgArtist's impression of the 'Vogon' spaceplane underneath a 'Whitewing' carrier

This craft is designed to open up new possibilities in suborbital tourism which weren't there before. It can carry 5 kerbals, including 4 passengers, to space and back again. It consists of a dual-engine supersonic carrier aircraft capable of reaching speeds of up to 1,600m/s, as well as a rocket powered glider, which converts horizontal velocity to vertical velocity, after separation. Future designs of the craft may carry kerbals to space, or satellites.

https://kerbalx.com/Skylon/STP-1A-Vogon

NOTE: No non-existing technology will be used. It can be fitted with more RCS thrusters and then it will not use reaction wheels.

@TheEpicSquared I would like a glide test to be performed using this craft. The carrier and spaceplane will ascend slowly, circling around KSC or close by, to 5,000 metres. The spaceplane will then separate, perform a short engine test, and attempt to land back on the runway while the carrier continues to circle around. When the spaceplane is landed and out of the way, the carrier will land. Both can operate autonomously.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone! Back with an exciting new craft:

The Aeolus

odasfG2.png

A unique but realistic staged spaceplane with incredible capabilities.

The high-performance j58 (whiplash) engine gets the craft up to about mach 3, then the aerospike upper stage detaches and carries the payload the rest of the way. So it's all present-day technology.

Also, it obeys all the rules. It's 20m long and 1.25m in diameter (excluding its fins and landing gear).

Pictures for publicity:

Spoiler

88oNRvX.png

7egAq58.png

Features

Payload Capacity: 8 TONS (yup. That's as much as the next two heaviest lifters COMBINED) to equatorial 75km LKO, or 5 tons to equatorial GTO

The jet stage can be landed in the water, or flown to the next continent and landed there (if necessary), in about 8 minutes' time after separation

Has a light so you can display your favourite color on your payload while you launch! (if you don't specify the color you wish on your launch, it shal be kept as fabulous purple)

Tested in simulators for any payload that fits in a 2.5 by 5.5m fairing

Flight instructions:

Spoiler

1-Stay level until you reach 600m/s, then pull up into a 20 degree climb

2-At 20km, once your speed starts to drop, engage RCS and stage

3-Try to keep the pitch at the point where the time to apoapsis is just increasing. Should reach cutoff velocity about 45km up

4-Remove fairing once in space and circularise normally

Since this is vastly superior to my trinity rocket, i wish to replace it with the Aeolus in the upcoming test launch and in the craft manifest

Cost of the lifter: :funds:18,830

Recovery cost: :funds:7,360

Customer cost: :funds:31,000

Edited by quasarrgames

2 hours ago, quasarrgames said:

The Aeolus

odasfG2.png

The high-performance j58 (whiplash) engine gets the craft up to about mach 3, then the aerospike upper stage detaches and carries the payload the rest of the way. So it's all present-day technology.

Also, it obeys all the rules. It's 20m long and 1.25m in diameter (excluding its fins and landing gear).

Pictures for publicity:

Reveal hidden contents

88oNRvX.png

7egAq58.png

Features

Payload Capacity: 8 TONS (yup. That's as much as the next two heaviest lifters COMBINED) to equatorial 75km LKO, or 5 tons to equatorial GTO

The jet stage can be landed in the water, or flown to the next continent and landed there (if necessary), in about 8 minutes' time after separation

Has a light so you can display your favourite color on your payload while you launch! (if you don't specify the color you wish on your launch, it shal be kept as fabulous purple)

Tested in simulators for any payload that fits in a 2.5 by 5.5m fairing

Flight instructions:

Reveal hidden contents

1-Stay level until you reach 600m/s, then pull up into a 20 degree climb

2-At 20km, once your speed starts to drop, engage RCS and stage

3-Try to keep the pitch at the point where the time to apoapsis is just increasing. Should reach cutoff velocity about 45km up

4-Remove fairing once in space and circularise normally

Since this is vastly superior to my trinity rocket, i wish to replace it with the Aeolus in the upcoming test launch and in the craft manifest

Cost of the lifter: :funds:18,830

Recovery cost: :funds:7,360

Customer cost: :funds:31,000

I'm kinda butting in here, but those wings seem like they could be a bit unrealistic.  Attached by a single strut?

2 hours ago, quasarrgames said:

The Aeolus

I don't think a craft like that would exist in real life. They would either use a separate carrier aircraft or use vertical launch with rockets. If there is a real world example or concept, then I'd like to be shown it :). Remember not even Rapiers are allowed, and they are in development.

On 2017-5-15 at 2:02 AM, Rath said:

I'm kinda butting in here, but those wings seem like they could be a bit unrealistic.  Attached by a single strut?

On 2017-5-15 at 2:22 AM, Skylon said:

I don't think a craft like that would exist in real life. They would either use a separate carrier aircraft or use vertical launch with rockets. If there is a real world example or concept, then I'd like to be shown it :). Remember not even Rapiers are allowed, and they are in development.

Darn. Didn't expect to get this much negative feedback from this craft. Though i guess there is no real life analogue, the closest thing i'd say is the Xb70 supersonic bomber, which could reach similar speeds and carry many tons of cargo, just like this craft. It was very large, but that's mostly because it needed a lot of fuel for its huge range. This little thing only needs to go two hundred kilometres or so, so it needs significantly less fuel. Replace its payload with any generic plane-launched rocket, like Orbital ATK's Pegasus, and you have the craft i made. 

As for the wings, I'm currently trying to make a version that looks a bit better. 

Spoiler

bKCPMLf.png

Is this realistic enough?

Until then, take my Trinity Full Thrust. For 23,000 funds, it carries up to 5.7 tons to equatorial LKO. Costs 16,000 on its own, and parachute recovery of the lower stage takes 6,900 off that.

Spoiler

6rrVc7l.png

Yes it's a bit wide at the bottom, but not by much, and it is the second iteration, so i hope it's acceptable @TheEpicSquared

On 18/05/2017 at 3:53 AM, quasarrgames said:

Darn. Didn't expect to get this much negative feedback from this craft. Though i guess there is no real life analogue, the closest thing i'd say is the Xb70 supersonic bomber, which could reach similar speeds and carry many tons of cargo, just like this craft. It was very large, but that's mostly because it needed a lot of fuel for its huge range. This little thing only needs to go two hundred kilometres or so, so it needs significantly less fuel. Replace its payload with any generic plane-launched rocket, like Orbital ATK's Pegasus, and you have the craft i made. 

As for the wings, I'm currently trying to make a version that looks a bit better. 

Reveal hidden contents

bKCPMLf.png

Is this realistic enough?

Until then, take my Trinity Full Thrust. For 23,000 funds, it carries up to 5.7 tons to equatorial LKO. Costs 16,000 on its own, and parachute recovery of the lower stage takes 6,900 off that.

Reveal hidden contents

6rrVc7l.png

Yes it's a bit wide at the bottom, but not by much, and it is the second iteration, so i hope it's acceptable @TheEpicSquared

Sorry if I sounded a bit negative, it does look very nice, it is just the concept that bothers me

In the end it is up to TheEpicSquared

Edit: You are right, it looks fine. It was mostly the idea of the nose of an aircraft coming off leaving a blunt nose for the rest of the aircraft.

Edited by Skylon