Mission Idea: Emulating Real Life in Kerbal Space Program [WIP] [Submit a Payload] [Become a Launch Provider] Craft Submission Thread!

On 5/3/2017 at 1:47 PM, Brent Kerman said:

Its heavy, I need to run some calculations, but initial math says I should be able to get it suborbital for :funds:25,000. (Definitely not orbital)

On 5/4/2017 at 0:58 PM, Andiron said:

To have goals for manned spacecrafts, I created this docking target equipped with two docking ports (one normal and one Jr.). It was build in the intent of using it with my craft, the Vincin, but everybody can use it! I decided to put it on a 100x100km orbit with an inclination of 120° to make it reachable by rockets from Baikerbanur.

KerbalX file: https://kerbalx.com/Andiron/VDT

Zenk7pG.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

VDT

a) Payload name? VDT (Vincin Docking Target)
    b) Payload provider? @Andiron
    c) Type of payload? Docking target
    d) Payload price? 3942 kb
    e) Payload mass, part count and dimensions? 1.485t / 34 parts / 1.78x1.25x1.25
    f) Intended orbit (apoapsis, periapsis, inclination, any other orbital info)? 100 km circular LKO, 120° inclination
    g) Short description of the payload? Docking target for manned spacecraft

@Andiron, are we still on for a suborbital launch of a Vincin I+ capsule on an Iridium I first stage for 10,000 funds, and a launch of 2 docking targets on the Iridium I for 19,500 funds? I'll add our confirmed 3 orbital Vincin I+ launches we already decided on. :) 

On 5/15/2017 at 5:57 AM, quasarrgames said:

Hello Everyone! Back with an exciting new craft:

The Aeolus

odasfG2.png

A unique but realistic staged spaceplane with incredible capabilities.

The high-performance j58 (whiplash) engine gets the craft up to about mach 3, then the aerospike upper stage detaches and carries the payload the rest of the way. So it's all present-day technology.

Also, it obeys all the rules. It's 20m long and 1.25m in diameter (excluding its fins and landing gear).

Pictures for publicity:

Reveal hidden contents

88oNRvX.png

7egAq58.png

Features

Payload Capacity: 8 TONS (yup. That's as much as the next two heaviest lifters COMBINED) to equatorial 75km LKO, or 5 tons to equatorial GTO

The jet stage can be landed in the water, or flown to the next continent and landed there (if necessary), in about 8 minutes' time after separation

Has a light so you can display your favourite color on your payload while you launch! (if you don't specify the color you wish on your launch, it shal be kept as fabulous purple)

Tested in simulators for any payload that fits in a 2.5 by 5.5m fairing

Flight instructions:

Reveal hidden contents

1-Stay level until you reach 600m/s, then pull up into a 20 degree climb

2-At 20km, once your speed starts to drop, engage RCS and stage

3-Try to keep the pitch at the point where the time to apoapsis is just increasing. Should reach cutoff velocity about 45km up

4-Remove fairing once in space and circularise normally

Since this is vastly superior to my trinity rocket, i wish to replace it with the Aeolus in the upcoming test launch and in the craft manifest

Cost of the lifter: :funds:18,830

Recovery cost: :funds:7,360

Customer cost: :funds:31,000

On 5/15/2017 at 8:02 AM, Rath said:

I'm kinda butting in here, but those wings seem like they could be a bit unrealistic.  Attached by a single strut?

They are unrealistic.. :/ 

On 5/15/2017 at 8:22 AM, Skylon said:

I don't think a craft like that would exist in real life. They would either use a separate carrier aircraft or use vertical launch with rockets. If there is a real world example or concept, then I'd like to be shown it :). Remember not even Rapiers are allowed, and they are in development.

Yup, no Rapiers allowed at the moment,

On 5/18/2017 at 4:53 AM, quasarrgames said:

Darn. Didn't expect to get this much negative feedback from this craft. Though i guess there is no real life analogue, the closest thing i'd say is the Xb70 supersonic bomber, which could reach similar speeds and carry many tons of cargo, just like this craft. It was very large, but that's mostly because it needed a lot of fuel for its huge range. This little thing only needs to go two hundred kilometres or so, so it needs significantly less fuel. Replace its payload with any generic plane-launched rocket, like Orbital ATK's Pegasus, and you have the craft i made. 

As for the wings, I'm currently trying to make a version that looks a bit better. 

Reveal hidden contents

bKCPMLf.png

Is this realistic enough?

Until then, take my Trinity Full Thrust. For 23,000 funds, it carries up to 5.7 tons to equatorial LKO. Costs 16,000 on its own, and parachute recovery of the lower stage takes 6,900 off that.

Reveal hidden contents

6rrVc7l.png

Yes it's a bit wide at the bottom, but not by much, and it is the second iteration, so i hope it's acceptable @TheEpicSquared

Post the updated Aeoleus when you're done with it, and hopefully it gets the approval. 

The Trinity FT is fine for a second iteration. It'll launch when 1.875m rockets are allowed (does anyone remember when that was? @Oliverm001x, anyone?).

18 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

@Andiron, are we still on for a suborbital launch of a Vincin I+ capsule on an Iridium I first stage for 10,000 funds, and a launch of 2 docking targets on the Iridium I for 19,500 funds? I'll add our confirmed 3 orbital Vincin I+ launches we already decided on. :)

Ok, you can have the suborbital launch !

@Abastro will launch 2 of my VDT docking targets with his Retrance ll2

Edited by Andiron

Just now, TheEpicSquared said:

One launch or two?

Two separate launches in different orbits. It also might be a good idea to make the Vincin capsule 3rd launch a docking test mission

Thanks !

i´m joining the payload providing business!

my 1. satelite is the Cubesat 180 bs (180=180kg, bs=basic science) by TSG aerospace payload division

tipe: science cubesat

costing 3960:funds: to make 

0.5m wide, 0.5m long and 1.2m tall

intended orbit: 200kmx300km

https://kerbalx.com/TSGaerospace/cubesat-180-bs

Edited by tsgaerospace

20 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

The Trinity FT is fine for a second iteration. It'll launch when 1.875m rockets are allowed (does anyone remember when that was? @Oliverm001x, anyone?).

I do not recall a concrete and definitive date, however I propose a minuscule overhaul, being that the LPs can start designing their 1.875 rockets now and post them, securing contracts post-launch and prior to the official "unveiling".

now i´m joining the launch providing business

i present to you:

the TSG Telesto by TSG Aerospace launcher division!

1.25m in diameter, don´t let the fairing fool you, it´s 15.7m tall (4.3 m of efective payload size (including the fairing))

1.6 t to LKO (biggest tested) 

cost to build: 9340:funds: , launch cost: 10274 :funds:, for the buyer: 12500:funds:, clean profit: 2226:funds:

expendable

fueled mass: 19.890 t

https://kerbalx.com/TSGaerospace/TSG-Telesto

So, i've tried many different realistic designs for the Aeolus, ranging from the XB-70 (landing gear were finnicky, craft was too expensive) to the D21 (control surfaces were too far back to pitch properly) to ADELINE (same problem, plus it was too long) to the XS-1 (was too tall to fit the requirements). All designs were inadequate. I made one last push today, but i've run out of inspiration, so sadly the Aeolus project has now officially been abandoned. At least the Trinity is still a good backup.

On 2017-5-22 at 3:08 PM, TheEpicSquared said:

The Trinity FT is fine for a second iteration. It'll launch when 1.875m rockets are allowed...

That's too long to wait. Designed a better version that can still take 5.5 tons to orbit and is significantly thinner. Would it be clear to launch now?

Spoiler

yRatdSA.png

Also, I have a challenge for all you payload providers, to get the public focussed on potential kerbal colonization, I'd like to start the Greenhouse Challenge!

Your goal is to make a greeenhouse station module that can support 1 kerbal for 200 (24 hour) days, or 2 kerbals for 100 days, without any resupply missions. In addition, the module must weigh less 6000 kilograms. The builder of the best module will get a launch-related prize, to be decided later.

I've been trying to mess with greenhouses myself, but there's always some important resource like nitrogen, ammonia, or oxygen that drains within a few days, making them useless. It'll be interesting to see if you guys can make them work any better :)

Edited by quasarrgames

Titanium One Orbital Launch Vehicle

Spoiler

9RJTpA1.png

BshZCl8.png

jR45uhY.png

d4RKpco.png 

Total Cost:

CIwbBnk.png

First Stage Cost:

QSBiU20.png

The TOOLV is a relatively large rocket capable of carrying a variety of satellites ranging from low-high gain payloads. 

Payload Capacity: 2.2 Tonnes (LKO)

Dimensions:

Height: 19.1m

Width: 2.2m (1.25m diameter fuselage)

Length 2.2 meters.

Cost to build: 12,090

Reusability: First stage is fully reusable costing 6,940.

Cost to use: 15,717

We look forward to launching your payload, if  you wish to utilize this launch vehicle please specify so in wither this thread, or the other one!

KerbalX link: https://kerbalx.com/Oliverm001x/Titanium-One-Rocket_2

Edited by Oliverm001x

20 hours ago, quasarrgames said:

Also, I have a challenge for all you payload providers, to get the public focussed on potential kerbal colonization, I'd like to start the Greenhouse Challenge!

Your goal is to make a greeenhouse station module that can support 1 kerbal for 200 (24 hour) days, or 2 kerbals for 100 days, without any resupply missions. In addition, the module must weigh less 6000 kilograms. The builder of the best module will get a launch-related prize, to be decided later.

I've been trying to mess with greenhouses myself, but there's always some important resource like nitrogen, ammonia, or oxygen that drains within a few days, making them useless. It'll be interesting to see if you guys can make them work any better :)

Question:

does it have to have a greenhouse?

another question:

is there a mass/part limit?

Arthur-1R Lifter:

Spoiler

Bv4vsSC.jpgThis is a reusable variant of the Arthur-1 rocket. The upper stage is expendable, but the lower stage can land with the parachutes mounted at the top. Other changes have also been made to lower costs.

• Total rocket cost with average fairing: Under 13,000
  • Lower stage cost fully fuelled: just over 7,300
  • Lower stage cost empty: 6,500
  • Lower stage refurbishment cost: 1,300
  • Fuel cost: 1,000
  • Upper stage cost with  average fairing: 5,500
  • Added launch costs: 1,300
  • Total Launch Cost: 9,100

Customer Cost: 11,250 funds

LKO Payload*: 2.5t
Cost/kg: 4.5 funds

This is version 1, and later versions will have a reusable second stage (I thought it was a bit unrealistic the way I was doing it before)

*200x200km

Edited by Skylon

i would like to join the payload providing business

my 1. satelite is the Cubesat 180 bs (180=180kg, bs=basic science) by TSG aerospace payload division

costing 3960:funds: to make 

Edited by tsgaerospace

9 minutes ago, tsgaerospace said:

i would like to join the payload providing business

my 1. satelite is the Cubesat 180 bs (180=180kg, bs=basic science) by TSG aerospace payload division

costing 3960:funds: to make 

I would like to offer my launch vehicle the TOOLV to deliver your satellite to your intended orbit. The details are visible above, at my vehicle unveiling.

20 minutes ago, Oliverm001x said:

I would like to offer my launch vehicle the TOOLV to deliver your satellite to your intended orbit. The details are visible above, at my vehicle unveiling.

that sounds reasonable, but i see that your launch vehicle has a lot higher capcity, therefore i would like to launch the following satelite onboard as well: 

Cubestat 220 mg- 220=220kg, mg= mystery goo

cost: 2980:funds:

size: 1.2x0.7x0.5m

https://kerbalx.com/TSGaerospace/cubesat-220-mg

the result would look like this

one note: the sats don´t have reaction wheels, so be sure to point the sats in normal/antinormal orientation or they will not charge 1/2 of the time.

Edited by tsgaerospace

@tsgaerospace I'm planning on reducing prices to 15,000 for my Iridium-1 lifter, since I can. Also, I can take 4.5 tons to orbit for that price, so I can take several tens of 180bs cubesats and several 220mg cubesats as well. 

And this would be cheaper than @Oliverm001x's services as well.

I think mine is the better deal :wink: 

Edited by TheEpicSquared

1 minute ago, TheEpicSquared said:

@tsgaerospace I'm planning on reducing prices to 15,000 for my Iridium-1 lifter, since I can. Also, I can take 4.5 tons to orbit for that price, so I can take several tens of 180bs cubesats and several 220mg cubesats as well. 

And this would be cheaper than @Oliverm001x's services as well.

I think mine is the better deal :wink: 

but my requirements are only 1 180bs and 2 220mg sats only for now...

and the mission should be idealy like this: 1. 1 220mg to lko, than the 180bs to periaps under and apoaps above 250km and the second 220 in a >250 at-all-times orbit

so, sorry

17 minutes ago, tsgaerospace said:

but my requirements are only 1 180bs and 2 220mg sats only for now...

and the mission should be idealy like this: 1. 1 220mg to lko, than the 180bs to periaps under and apoaps above 250km and the second 220 in a >250 at-all-times orbit

so, sorry

Hmmm. I could take the one 180bs and one 220mg as secondary payloads. I'm pretty sure I can offer a reduced price if you want to launch secondary, how about 13,500 funds. 

This way, I can meet your current requirements, and you get a vastly reduced launch price compared to @Oliverm001x

Edited by TheEpicSquared

3 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Hmmm. I could take the one 180bs and one 220mg as secondary payloads. I'm prettt sure I can offer a reduced price if you want to launch secondary, how about 13,500 funds. 

This way, I can meet your current requirements, and you get a vastly reduced launch price compared to @Oliverm001x

this seems just fair, i agree!

34 minutes ago, tsgaerospace said:

that sounds reasonable, but i see that your launch vehicle has a lot higher capcity, therefore i would like to launch the following satelite onboard as well: 

Cubestat 220 mg- 220=220kg, mg= mystery goo

cost: 2980:funds:

size: 1.2x0.7x0.5m

https://kerbalx.com/TSGaerospace/cubesat-220-mg

the result would look like this

one note: the sats don´t have reaction wheels, so be sure to point the sats in normal/antinormal orientation or they will not charge 1/2 of the time.

I can make it do for 13,000, along with launching the bigger sat in the intended orbit, this is a significant reduction!

2 minutes ago, Oliverm001x said:

I can make it do for 13,000, along with launching the bigger sat in the intended orbit, this is a significant reduction!

sorry but i have already signed a deal with TheEpicSquared...

1 minute ago, tsgaerospace said:

sorry but i have already signed a deal with TheEpicSquared...

However does the deal stand for the smaller satellite then, as you signed the bigger one?

Just now, Oliverm001x said:

However does the deal stand for the smaller satellite then, as you signed the bigger one?

I would take the smaller one for the initial price