KSP loads very slow

Hey,

Yes i know, i should search for it in the forum, but i did it and found nothing helpful  after these topics. I want to keep this short, so:

• Disabled inactive Network Adapter? - YES http://prntscr.com/etm0nv
  • Deinstalled mods? - didn't had any
  • Verified game cache? - YES
  • Does this game runs via HDD or SSD? - SSD
  • Tried the 64 bit Version? - YES
  • Downgraded the game and tried it? - YES

These are my PC Specs: 

• Nvidia Geforce GTX 770
  • i7 4790K overclocked to 4,7ghZ (watercooled)
  • 16 GB RAM DDR3
  • 2x SSD (840 Evo, 850 Evo)
  • 1x 1 TBB HDD

Im thankful for every help!

Load on RAM and CPU? KSP loads into RAM if I understand it correctly so it could be somehow slow SSD and those two.

And what do you take as slow? Changing from HDD to SSD didn't speed up much for me 

Edited by Numerlor

5 minutes ago, Numerlor said:

Load on RAM on CPU? KSP loads into RAM if I understand it correctly so it could be somehow slow SSD and those two.

And what do you take as slow? Changing from HDD to SSD didn't speed up much for me 

It takes over 15-30 minutes to load thegame. I dont think my ssd either my ram is slow.. :/

Also getting this issue, which just started this morning. I have tested RAM, Disks, CPU, GPU - everything - and nothing has happened.

Also a stock install of the game, no mods, no saves (as if I just installed it)

Takes 15 minutes to load the stock game.

Here's the rig:

• Intel i7 4790k 4.0GHz
  • Asus 1080 strix (GTX 1080 reference card)
  • 16GB RAM
  • 2TB HDD, 350GB SSD (KSP is on the HDD, which is 500GB full)

And, I swear, I have done nothing since last night. KSP loaded dog slow for me this morning. So I uninstalled and reinstalled. Still dog slow. Replaced RAM, still slow. Unfortunately nobody has a solution to this problem.

Edited by Gameslinx

2 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

The symptoms are indicative of very slow io.  Check your Windows events to see if anything else is going on.

Though my HDD, 4 years old, has a below average IO when I tested it today, it has no bad sectors at all.

Though this doesn't mean it isn't failing, would it be worth me moving my KSP install to my ssd and see if loading improves?

4 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

Would it be worth me moving my KSP install to my ssd and see if loading improves?

Try it, if not it is maybe is problem with CPU chipset ang engine or something like that because you share CPU

Or maybe virus?

Edited by Numerlor

4 minutes ago, Numerlor said:

Try it, if not it is maybe is problem with CPU chipset ang engine or something like that because you share CPU

Or maybe virus?

Done a virus scan using Malwarebytes and got 1 'threat' which was a PUP .exe of Camtasia studio with no install directory.

It suddenly happened this morning (the slow loads) so that may point to damage to the drive when starting up for the first time this morning.

No strange noises or anything though, so I'll back the drive up externally and move my KSP install. I've also got a week's worth of mod development files that I need to keep.

I'll keep the OP informed on the situation tomorrow morning.

Edited by Gameslinx

Well I've found my problem. I moved KSP to my C drive (the SSD) and it's loading just like usual - it's not going slowly anymore. It appears that the drive I had it on before is the bad one, so I'm de-fragmenting it and seeing what happens from there. 

EDIT: After de-fragmenting the drive, the speeds have drastically increased

Edited by Gameslinx

Umm guys... what.. i just noticed something. When im loading KSP and im on the desktop, there is a high pitched sound happening. when im in the game, theres a low-pitched sound. Can someone guess whats that?!

i tried to record it, i hope you hear it: http://vocaroo.com/i/s1Xp0hWlMYhL

The sound isnt normally there. It's only there when im loading into ksp.

Oh, i noticed that when i load and the loading bar goes on, theres no sound of it. But if its stuck, it makes this sound. So i think it gets stuck anywhere?

Edited by smaxxx

8 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@smaxxx what are your system specs?

His specs:

• Nvidia Geforce GTX 770
  • i7 4790K overclocked to 4,7ghZ (watercooled)
  • 16 GB RAM DDR3
  • 2x SSD (840 Evo, 850 Evo)
  • 1x 1 TBB HDD
3 hours ago, smaxxx said:

Umm guys... what.. i just noticed something. When im loading KSP and im on the desktop, there is a high pitched sound happening. when im in the game, theres a low-pitched sound. Can someone guess whats that?!

Oh, i noticed that when i load and the loading bar goes on, theres no sound of it. But if its stuck, it makes this sound. So i think it gets stuck anywhere?

Sounds coming from your PC like that are bad - it could be that one of your HDD platters (inside the drive) is scraping against something metallic. Could just be the sound you hear when electricity is flowing (I can't describe it well, but my friend's house has a sound like that because of his electrics)

If your loading bar gets completely stuck, just reinstall the game.

That sound is either coming from your graphics card or your PSU and is called 'coil whine', had exactly the same when 'loading the game and in space when turning the view towards the big black sky.

When KSP is loading it lets your graphicscard render uncapped, it's basicly rendering 1000+ frames per second, the powerdraw will cause the coilwhine. In my case it was the PSU. If the sound annoys you, you could underclock your graphicscard to take less power at the cost of a bit of graphical performance. Personally i've changed out the PSU (because the rest of the build was dead quiet).

It's also good to set the max. frames in the ingame settings to 120 or 60, to prevent it from going full throtle (unnecessary) all the time, won't help when loading the game though.

It howeever isn't to harmfull to just let it whine, youre grpahicscard is running within spec when doing the 1000+ fps, it's just performing whitin max performance.

The issue you have is unrelated to the slow loading, although if the rest of the game isn't stable, then I would check the voltages and ripple with a tool like HWinfo.

4 hours ago, smaxxx said:

AMD graphics? I ask because AMD is well known for graphics card coil whine.

While KSP loads v-sync is disabled, this makes loading faster (it's a Unity engine thing) but when playing v-sync is enabled by default, meaning the graphics card is not updating any faster than the refresh rate of the monitor, and the whine is reduced.

21 minutes ago, smaxxx said:

"I'm gonna deactivate V-Sync tomorrow. lets hope it will fix it, finally :D "

Now that could give the exact opposite effect from what you're trying to accomplish :wink: 

Best to leave the V-sync on.

On 09/04/2017 at 3:03 AM, sal_vager said:

While KSP loads v-sync is disabled, this makes loading faster (it's a Unity engine thing)

Unity thing or no, uncapped framerates during loading screens are just sloppy. Please implement a framerate cap or update the loading screen only when it changes, like a sane person.
"Makes loading faster" is, frankly, BS. Loading is disk and/or CPU bound. Rendering a mostly-static image at 9000 FPS is going to make loading slower if anything... Unless your game engine is complete a turd and disk IO is somehow tied to framerate.
If that's the case: Fix it, your game engine's broken behavior is upsetting peoples hardware.
If it's not, fix it anyway: rendering at uncapped framerates during loading screens is... sloppy.

This doesn't answer the question anyway - if KSP is loading slow (er than the standard "load everything into RAM" crawl), V-Sync has is unlikely to have anything to do with it.

Edited by steve_v
Please kill this editor, kill it with fire.

2 hours ago, steve_v said:

Unity thing or no, uncapped framerates during loading screens are just sloppy. Please implement a framerate cap or update the loading screen only when it changes, like a sane person.
"Makes loading faster" is, frankly, BS. Loading is disk and/or CPU bound. Rendering a mostly-static image at 9000 FPS is going to make loading slower if anything... Unless your game engine is complete a turd and disk IO is somehow tied to framerate.
If that's the case: Fix it, your game engine's broken behavior is upsetting peoples hardware.
If it's not, fix it anyway: rendering at uncapped framerates during loading screens is... sloppy.

This doesn't answer the question anyway - if KSP is loading slow (er than the standard "load everything into RAM" crawl), V-Sync has is unlikely to have anything to do with it.

Rather disrespectful to the community as this was found by players, included in a mod you might have heard of, then made stock at players request.

Also, not my game any more ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@smaxxx should try @Gameslinx's fix and defrag the drive, if that doesn't help, he should try disabling the single network adapter as it can cause this in rare cases.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.