On 4/8/2017 at 5:18 AM, Scotskerb said:

The Kerbol system alone is a bit boring. It's also relatively easy to get as far as Moho or Eeloo. We need a new challenge.

If the Kerbol System is boring we should add a few more planets and moons to the current system and/or make the current planets/moons more interesting. 

Personally I think a second star system doesn't have a place in the stock game. The game mimics current/near future space exploration in the real world and our plans to send probes to them in the real world are borderline science fiction. Plus the addition of another star system would necessitate a re-work of the time warp system, otherwise you'd be spending centuries at your computer.

Have you tried using mods? I have on occasion installed other star systems (and better time warp) and I have found getting to them easier than getting to Eeloo and Moho, but it took 700,000 years in game time to get there.

On 4/7/2017 at 6:02 PM, Hay said:

Use mods.

I do. However, these mods tend to take a while to update. In fact, some of them aren't even supposed compatible with the latest KSP version; they will run, but there are quite a few glitches (for example, spacecraft spontaneously terminating).

16 hours ago, RatchetinSpace said:

If the Kerbol System is boring we should add a few more planets and moons to the current system and/or make the current planets/moons more interesting. 

Personally I think a second star system doesn't have a place in the stock game. The game mimics current/near future space exploration in the real world and our plans to send probes to them in the real world are borderline science fiction. Plus the addition of another star system would necessitate a re-work of the time warp system, otherwise you'd be spending centuries at your computer.

Have you tried using mods? I have on occasion installed other star systems (and better time warp) and I have found getting to them easier than getting to Eeloo and Moho, but it took 700,000 years in game time to get there.

Did you use only stock parts? Well, even if you did, it's not just about how easy it is. I've found that exploring another star system is substantially more satisfying than exploring modded planets within the Kerbol system (the exception being New Horizons).

2 hours ago, Scotskerb said:

I do. However, these mods tend to take a while to update. In fact, some of them aren't even supposed compatible with the latest KSP version; they will run, but there are quite a few glitches (for example, spacecraft spontaneously terminating).

Did you use only stock parts? Well, even if you did, it's not just about how easy it is. I've found that exploring another star system is substantially more satisfying than exploring modded planets within the Kerbol system (the exception being New Horizons).

That's fine, but I bet a substantial majority does not want or need a second star system.

3 hours ago, Hay said:

That's fine, but I bet a substantial majority does not want or need a second star system.

That is correct. A great majority of players actually never go past Minmus so a stock additional solar system would be a waste of CPU cycles for them. Such a thing would need a wide array of "OP" "stock" things (antennae, fuel, engines, related mechanics, mutually exclusive terms :wink: ) in order to make this second solar system viable from any realistic stance.

On 4/8/2017 at 3:40 PM, klesh said:

How do you know he doesn't play on one of the console versions?

The OP should know better than to ask for any huge feature like planets when the first thing to hope for if they're on console is for mods to work, or for a more enjoyable basic experience (bugfixes, intuitive control scheme etc)

6 hours ago, Scotskerb said:

Unfortunately you'll have to try to make do without those mods. I have confidence that there's always at least one exact alternative to any particular sort of mod...excepting a few huge ones like Kopernicus itself and Scatterer. All you need is Kopernicus (and granted the performance hit problems don't happen to you because it doesn't happen to everyone) and a good new high quality planet pack that, as you stated, adds a star and doesn't only add to the home system.

If you're really, really looking to get around in interstellar space I recommend this. It's current, finally becoming very stable and adds 5+ stars and 50+ planets (not stockalike).

Or this: the procedural galaxy mod (stockalike). It's also current and you can create as many stars as you like but there'll be a bit of compromise on the planets. Planet count is a little low because the sheer scale of this mod can be immensely taxing on any CPU.

There are a lot of planet mods out there but I can barely think of any that are mature enough, current (rated for KSP 1.2.x) and add separate solar systems.

10 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

The OP should know better than to ask for any huge feature like planets when the first thing to hope for if they're on console is for mods to work, or for a more enjoyable basic experience (bugfixes, intuitive control scheme etc)

Surely.  However the general playerbase should remember that "use this mod" isn't a viable answer for the entire KSP community anymore, especially when an OP doesn't reveal what system theyr're playing on.  There are so many great mods; obviously its the best solution for many questions or suggestions.  Now we have an entire cadre of folks to which that answer doesnt help, so I usually try to clarify what system theyre on before I present an answer they might not be able to utilize.  

18 hours ago, Scotskerb said:

Use CKAN to install your mods, and then use it to keep them updated.

Only use mods that are up-to-date. 

Use mods from well known authors, and authors who are active.

I running a 200+ modded game with no problems.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:32 AM, Scotskerb said:

Yes, all stock parts, its on YouTube if you want to take a look: 

All you have to do is burn out to roughly the direction of the star. Plotting a course to Eeloo I find is harder because you have to consider the large inclination change which can be difficult to pull off efficiently.

Ah. Yes. I've seen that video. Still, it is incredibly satisfying to land on extrasolar planets, even if it's not much harder than Eeloo.

On 4/8/2017 at 2:49 PM, GluttonyReaper said:

It's actually pretty difficult for a mere mortal like me. :( 

Once you get to Eve, you can get pretty much anywhere via gravity assists on very little delta v.

The thing is this idea crops up a lot and I still support it.  I think the best way to do it would be alternative  procedurally generated systems (that can be saved and shared).  Add a lot of fun, challanges and new exploration possibilities and no need for FTL travel.

Edited by kBob

What's wrong with warp drive as an end game goal? Realism? The game stopped being realistic the second it suggested public support to send manned missions anywhere but the Min. I play KSP to push the envelope, not recreate the same punishing limitations we experience in real life. Meh.

On 7-4-2017 at 9:18 PM, Scotskerb said:

The Kerbol system alone is a bit boring. It's also relatively easy to get as far as Moho or Eeloo. We need a new challenge.

Kerbol system boring? When did this happen? I still play stock regularly and I play this game since v0.23. Getting to places may be easy for you, but not for everyone. I also don't think you went to moho, eelo and back in a single stage, or recover everything for such a mission. Or did it with srb's only. Or build a fuel station around moho, or took 100 Kerbals there and back.

I don't get it why people suggest something for the stock game when there are already mods out there that do this. Why ask a team of a few dozen to develop something that takes months to program if it is already available for download?
Interstellar travel also doesn't belong in ksp. For that you need exotic propulsion methods. All the arguments about making it a binary star system to shorten the distances or add a warp drive to the game is just a excuse to validate this idea. Which is futile, because the thing is, interstellar travel requires technologies from a whole different era. It would be like adding sub machines guns to a medieval fighting game. Nobody will go for this, trust me, like I said, it is futile.

And the thing with warp drive is that it is without challenge. It is basically a space/timewarp device, and it would be a form of near instant transport. It would only involve childish point in the right direction maneuvring. This would completely render the difficulty challenges of building and piloting utterly useless. It surprised me that you even have the nerve to suggest this knowing full well that this will never get approved for the stock game. I'd be shocked if you say you don't
And I only say this with my current tone because this foolish idea has been going around for alot longer. And everytime theres a new one who doens't realize that interstellar travel and warp drives are not part of KSP.
It's the same way why you buy lego bricks and not duplo ones to finish your lego project. One doesn't fit the other.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/19/2017 at 7:42 AM, Razorforce7 said:

Kerbol system boring? When did this happen? I still play stock regularly and I play this game since v0.23. Getting to places may be easy for you, but not for everyone. I also don't think you went to moho, eelo and back in a single stage, or recover everything for such a mission. Or did it with srb's only. Or build a fuel station around moho, or took 100 Kerbals there and back.

I don't get it why people suggest something for the stock game when there are already mods out there that do this. Why ask a team of a few dozen to develop something that takes months to program if it is already available for download?
Interstellar travel also doesn't belong in ksp. For that you need exotic propulsion methods. All the arguments about making it a binary star system to shorten the distances or add a warp drive to the game is just a excuse to validate this idea. Which is futile, because the thing is, interstellar travel requires technologies from a whole different era. It would be like adding sub machines guns to a medieval fighting game. Nobody will go for this, trust me, like I said, it is futile.

And the thing with warp drive is that it is without challenge. It is basically a space/timewarp device, and it would be a form of near instant transport. It would only involve childish point in the right direction maneuvring. This would completely render the difficulty challenges of building and piloting utterly useless. It surprised me that you even have the nerve to suggest this knowing full well that this will never get approved for the stock game. I'd be shocked if you say you don't
And I only say this with my current tone because this foolish idea has been going around for alot longer. And everytime theres a new one who doens't realize that interstellar travel and warp drives are not part of KSP.
It's the same way why you buy lego bricks and not duplo ones to finish your lego project. One doesn't fit the other.

I'm actually not entirely talking about challenges. I'm pretty much only interested in the challenges that involve exploring new worlds. Also, I really don't think the warp drive should be added regardless of whether we have a new star system. You'd be surprised at how far you can go with just stock parts and a computer that isn't built for gaming.

Speaking of my computer not being built for gaming, I will note that when I use mods I get constant lag. Also, with star mods, the sun-tracking solar panels tend to just clip into the spacecraft and stop working, so I'm limited to using RTGs.

I've been thinking about this more and more lately.

Interstellar travel is really the logical endgame for KSP. I know its thoroughly in the realms of sci-fi.

That said, I don't know exactly how it could work within the constraints of the game (huge crafts etc). It just makes sense to me as a narrative.

You work your way up the tech tree, research more and more advanced tech, eventually build a huge ship, escape Kerbol SOI with conventional engines, activate the "K-drive" or what ever and then *ZZZZAP* then credits roll .

Then maybe after credits are finished your ship *pops* in to a highly elliptical orbit around the new star. You then get to wake up your crew and play with all the toys you packed. yay!

It probably wont happen, but I still like imagining.

Edited by Capt Snuggler

All I'm going to say is there aren't many notable tycoon or sandbox games that don't have different sandboxes with different starting conditions as a standard feature. 

Yes understanding in KSP each level is many many worlds so not so trivial to make but to me would make a great addition given KSP has very good replay value anyway. Yes, I realise the contradiction in what I'm saying. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.