Procedural fairings

Hello, I have a simple question, who can help me figure out how to create your procedural fairing in the likeness of those that are present in the game, I do not get anything.
It would also be great if you helped with the cfg file, there is also a mess but I did not understand it ...

3 hours ago, Alcentar said:

Hello, I have a simple question, who can help me figure out how to create your procedural fairing in the likeness of those that are present in the game, I do not get anything.
It would also be great if you helped with the cfg file, there is also a mess but I did not understand it ...

Hi given how complicated the fairings are, I doubt it's a simple question in any way. It's certainly not something I'd recommend as a first attempt at KSP modding

The first step would be to get a copy of the blender .MU exporter and extract one of the squad fairings, then you can find out how the hierarchy is assembled, and what mesh components you need in order for it to work. Then get a copy of sarbians debug stuff which would allow you to see how all the transforms and meshes  are aligned in game ( the mu export can mess up the transform rotations) 

You could in theory at this point fix all the rotations to be the same as shown by debug stuff, pass the part through unity and it could possibly work. I've a suspicion that the fairings may also use procedural concave colliders, and that has some very strict rules on how meshes are assembled, in order for it to work at all,  any loose edges or verts will break the collider generation

It can sometimes help understanding if you use the squad example and try and get that to work, before starting on your own project.. Though having just looked at a cfg I can see it's a fairly complicated part, there are many cfg refs that are not used for anything else,  so I'd imagine very few people know what the values pertain to.  The large fairing itself consists of 12 meshes (individual models) and likely dozens of reference transforms  .So not a ten minute project

You really need somebody who has made procedural parts or knows intimately how the squad fairings are assembled , otherwise I suspect getting a similar part in game  will be a fairly painful and drawn out process

(if you don't understand any of the terms above perhaps an easier project should be considered, you'll need to be very familiar with  KSP mod making in order to make this happen)

3 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi given how complicated the fairings are, I doubt it's a simple question in any way. It's certainly not something I'd recommend as a first attempt at KSP modding

The first step would be to get a copy of the blender .MU exporter and extract one of the squad fairings, then you can find out how the hierarchy is assembled, and what mesh components you need in order for it to work. Then get a copy of sarbians debug stuff which would allow you to see how all the transforms and meshes  are aligned in game ( the mu export can mess up the transform rotations) 

You could in theory at this point fix all the rotations to be the same as shown by debug stuff, pass the part through unity and it could possibly work. I've a suspicion that the fairings may also use procedural concave colliders, and that has some very strict rules on how meshes are assembled, in order for it to work at all,  any loose edges or verts will break the collider generation

It can sometimes help understanding if you use the squad example and try and get that to work, before starting on your own project.. Though having just looked at a cfg I can see it's a fairly complicated part, there are many cfg refs that are not used for anything else,  so I'd imagine very few people know what the values pertain to.  The large fairing itself consists of 12 meshes (individual models) and likely dozens of reference transforms  .So not a ten minute project

You really need somebody who has made procedural parts or knows intimately how the squad fairings are assembled , otherwise I suspect getting a similar part in game  will be a fairly painful and drawn out process

(if you don't understand any of the terms above perhaps an easier project should be considered, you'll need to be very familiar with  KSP mod making in order to make this happen)

Thanks, all the same I will look for ways even if I do not get a more accurate answer.

47 minutes ago, Alcentar said:

Thanks, all the same I will look for ways even if I do not get a more accurate answer.

Certainly do that, it's how i've learned all the KSP stuff, try it and  see what happens,   and keep at it until it works. I'd imagine a lot of it will become clearer, like what the values refer to, as you do it

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.