What for? The concept is meant to deal with high traffic density and unless KSP becomes an MMO game focused on airflight there's no need for circular runways. And "because it's kerbal" is not a good argument.

2 minutes ago, Veeltch said:

What for? The concept is meant to deal with high traffic density and unless KSP becomes an MMO game focused on airflight there's no need for circular runways. And "because it's kerbal" is not a good argument.

Some people want many runways to be able to take off to many directions. This runway could be around entire base. One day KSP should have multi-player?

6 minutes ago, IllyrianTheGreat said:

Some people want many runways to be able to take off to many directions. This runway could be around entire base. One day KSP should have multi-player?

So something like Kerbin Side would do just fine. Many runways with many directions.

Unless the game becomes fully focused on airplane flight it won't have multiplayer because it would be pointless and dull. KSP is about spaceflight and believe me you need alcubierre drives if you want to play multiplayer in KSP. Otherwise it's just a warp/syncfest with chat and very rare encounters.

Edited by Veeltch

1. Only one craft takes off at a time in KSP, so traffic is not an issue. Traffic has nothing to do with it, since they all land and TO into the wind regardless. ATC would still have to tell them where to land, it would be more, not less confusing, even in RL.

2. There is no wind in KSP, so runway direction isn't an issue. 

3. You can land anything, anywhere in KSP, having a runway isn't an issue.

27 minutes ago, Veeltch said:

So something like Kerbin Side would do just fine. Many runways with many directions.

Unless the game becomes fully focused on airplane flight it won't have multiplayer because it would be pointless and dull. KSP is about spaceflight and believe me you need alcubierre drives if you want to play multiplayer in KSP. Otherwise it's just a warp/syncfest with chat and very rare encounters.

Multiplayer is great idea for career mode if we could get official servers. MP can have contracts like in eve online, I could put contract for resupply my space station while I am offline as reward you can get money or science points and reputation. Infinite warp can be limited by draining funds and supplies from your bases/stations, kerbal monthly fee also can prevent long warp jumps. Once your money are gone and you can't pay next bill it is game over and you have to start new game. Sorry for off topic.

1 hour ago, tater said:

1. Only one craft takes off at a time in KSP, so traffic is not an issue.

BDA has a great airplane autopilot that works for passenger flights as well as fighters, and handles multiple planes well. If physics distance is high enough, you can tell a airplane to fly to any location and enter holding pattern. Auto landing is a little risky.

Seems like an interesting idea, however I think the runway might need to have an inwards slope like a bowl so it might be easier to control? idk.

EDIT: ok I'm stupid enough to not watch the video but it looks practical...

Edited by Scientia1423

I saw that story, but was too dumb to think how nice it would fit in with KSP, good idea, usually I end up landing on the grass or ocean, but this would be a fun target...so long as my wheels aren't too slippery.  Be really extra neat if we should ever get winds/weather.

Edited by kBob

6 hours ago, The_Rocketeer said:

This argument applies to everything about KSP.

Not everything, just landing planes.  That's why the bumpy tier 1 runway gets so much hate.  A banked runway would be the same.

38 minutes ago, The_Rocketeer said:

@Alshain I'm not at all clear on what your point is. The tier 1 runway is hardly the standard benchmark for runways (or indeed plane landings) in KSP.

FWIW, even excluding plane landings, KSP remains rather unlike real life.

His point is pretty clear. Landing on a circular runway would be as infuriating as landing on the bumpy one (tier 1). It would be neither useful nor fun to deal with.

Clicked this thread thinking it was about making the runway not a true flat so idle planes wouldn't roll down the runway.

Anyway, I do think this would be interesting to see, however not for KSC, partly because we have more than enough runway there to smash as it is. 

About the runway:
-The amount of polygons would certainly be a challenge...fast CPU but bumpy ride, or smooth ride and lose a few FPS? (I am unsure how much performance KSP loses due to static buildings though)
-KSP wheels are better than ever, but they may not be ready for this yet. Slight continuous turning with keyboard controls is going to flip a few planes until they reach the critical speed required to follow the bank.
-Some spaceplanes really don't like turning sharply, but 3.5km diameter should still be enough though...unless this is done to scale following the rest of KSC.

Bonus: Free NASCAR track around the KSC!!!:D

Edited by monstah
off-topicness removed

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.