NASA to make announcement regarding extraterrestrial oceans

insert_name

NASA scientists plan to make an announcement regarding extraterrestrial water. Several members of the cassini team are going to be involved, so maybe something to do with encladeaus http://nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-to-reveal-new-discoveries-in-news-conference-on-oceans-beyond-earth

Edited by insert_name

Making no claims as to 'no' or 'yes'

But everything that Razark said.

Time will tell. I believe there is liquid water on every moon of Saturn.
Heck, I even believe every natural sattelite has atleast a pocket of liquid water present even in the grottos on Mercury (I'm serious 'assuming there are grottos on Mercury') forget Venus....... or the Sun.
But heck again, it's me believing. I hope Nasa promises to acknowlegde my beliefs to be true.
But then again, it's Never A Straight Anwer.
They could tell mickey mouse lives on Mars and somepeople will belief it.

7 hours ago, razark said:

Every announcement of a NASA press conference really needs to start off with "No, it's not aliens! We'll be talking about...".

Anyway, prep the media speculation.

Exactly my feelings. Last time (Trappist-1) it wasn't even their work ...

Edited by Green Baron

7 hours ago, Razorforce7 said:

They could tell mickey mouse lives on Mars and somepeople will belief it.

How dare you? Oo

1. This is NASA

2. This is on Internet it must be true!

3. Mickey must be on Mars because Minnie is on Moon (japanese call the man in moon the Moonmouse):D 

(no offense, only a joke. Oh my people + halfknowledge + ego... only chaos as result)

Nah you have right NASA has a presence as autorithy in space. I don't think it will be as popular if Roskosmos will make this Announcement.

And if im not missing something this will be something after the Io informations workaround. Will be realy interesting. Because there are some realy good pictures and sightings.

But i hope it will not drift away (mediacorporations) in the complex "is there life, we will see aliens"...

There may be life but if you will know it for sure, fly there all self and take a microscope with you...

Funny Kabooms 

Urses 

4 hours ago, Urses said:

Nah you have right NASA has a presence as autorithy in space. I don't think it will be as popular if Roskosmos will make this Announcement.

When was the last time Roscosmos released a scientifically significant announcement? :P Seriously - second biggest space agency on the planet, and they are satisfied with the position of taxi service? Get your act together Russia.

you mean this scotius ?

http://en.roscosmos.ru/174/

http://www.accuweather.com/ru/aq/vostok-station/2273742/weather-forecast/2273742

but true i would love to see more sciency publication on there but, but some peops gonna whine because dust and bones ? peops sometime ... assign and work repart  ... ... & ... and the who and why asked who to do what to do what to do when (&etc.) in the first place and who took the part to make it whatever the cost ... for part a littl' may be ...

side of topics and speaking of official communication, been a bit suprised per the isro page .... socio-psycho local sparse context ... 'sigh'

g e n e r a l p u b l i c c o m m u n i c a t i o n and the last 70 years ... aie  aie aie ...

Edited by WinkAllKerb''
obvious series 2017 ... interenet vs inquisition old reflex ?

4 hours ago, Scotius said:

When was the last time Roscosmos released a scientifically significant announcement? :P Seriously - second biggest space agency on the planet, and they are satisfied with the position of taxi service? Get your act together Russia.

People around here are more serious. :wink: BTW, who is Nasa?

Also they found a repeating plume on Europa on top of a thermal anomaly

18 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

A good pointer to life outside of Earth.

Also, if we do find life, would it be considered exotic, or Earthlike?

Depends on what we find

I have one seroous question: why have they never considered a Europa/Enceladus mission until recently? Is it because they didn't know about the oceans, no available rockets that could pull off such mission or insufficient funds?

I'm guessing it's the combo of some/all of them. But I still don't understand NASA's approach on the matter. Instead of sending tonnes of missions to Europa/Enceladus they go for Mars instead (and there are a lot of them that aren't successful). I guess it's the complexity (delta-v, radiation and the signal delay) but maybe they also think that finding life on some other body would cause serious trouble for the whole society and would prove that we aren't that special after all or something like that?

Funds, i would guess the same, is the reason. Smells like they played a role in the presentation today :-) And maybe technology / instrumentation of the craft. And maybe thoughts like "let's wait ten years then it will cost half of what it costs today or we get double precision". I mean, nobody should be in a hurry :-)

A hypothetical ocean and a hypothetical energy source for plumes and temperature anomalies are in discussion since the first cassini pictures, maybe earlier. Let's say 2006. I am not worried about cultural implications, i leave that to ones who feel entitled.

Of course i will chew my fingernails to the bones if a mission to detect the traces of metabolisms would be sent but i have no problem with positive discoveries in that direction, if i live up to see it happen.

Edited by Green Baron

3 hours ago, WinkAllKerb'' said:

may i a littl' no idea what your refering too uncle scrouge ^^ i m gonna rewatch fantasia ... once more ... 'sigh'

The reference is strong with you young padawan. This sentence is often used in east to describe the struggle of new ideas to be prowen.

This one with "halfknowlege" is more from Aleksej Tolstoi's "Peter I the Great". It is a free zitat of the Tzar as he planned Sankt Petersburg and has the Duma and the Boajaren as opposition for the Projekt. It was to westernisch for them...

@Veeltch

Like @Green Baron mentioned i think the problem will be finances. After the crunch with the Shuttle program they undergo many budget shortenings. The most people think NASA is a buisness but its more a stepchild that will be missused as Announcement Speaker... as example the microshuttle, development NASA and Boeing, finances AirForce, payload? You may send some materials probes up there in till today 4 (?) Starts?

They need now something spectacular to get a workable budget to start a scientific mission up there...

@topik

Interesting aspekt is that it looks like all iceplanets have fluid water. Before it was though all planets will be hardfrozen. And cryovulkanism enables new methodes for sience to extrapolate new data below the planitarian crusts.

Urses 

Edited by Urses

15 hours ago, Spaceception said:

A good pointer to life outside of Earth.

Hmm, just to add to the speculation, free hydrogen in the plumes could as well mean that it is produced - i don't mind if at hydrothermal vents - but not consumed. Apparently microbes do not react hydrogen(*) with CO2 to methane as is case on earth. Keep in mind that hydrogen is very reactive, and apparently set free without a speculative metabolism using it up.

So, yeah, do send a probe (hail !) but be prepared for frustration.

(*)Edit: it's discussed in the article and if you follow the links via the science front-page you get the full article without having to become a member. Though they have a special offer of 40/y ... ;-)

Edited by Green Baron

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.