Not enough fuel for Orbit

Im currently in a Career mode trying to do the contract "Orbit Kerbin" and I've tried many different variations of rockets but none of them have enough fuel to orbit. I can get to where I start to see the periapsis, but dont have enough fuel from there. Also then my apoapsis starts to rise uncontrollably so my periapsis is at 50,000 and my apoapsis is at 120,000. I've got Basic Rocketry, Engineering 101, General Rocketry, Survivablility, and Advanced Rocketry. Any help on a rocket that can get me into orbit would be appreciated. 

6 minutes ago, Rbenard108 said:

then my apoapsis starts to rise uncontrollably

If you're using liquid engine for your top stage, then you could just switch to map mode (press M), and cut off your engine (press X) when Apoapsis is about 80km. Then you circularize when you arrive at Apoapsis by throttling up the engine again (left-Shift or Z).

If you can achieve 120km-50km, then most likely the exact ship is sufficient to achieve orbit - you just need to change slightly how you pilot it.

Can you show pics?

EDIT: I quickly built a craft with the parts at your disposal - see spoiler

Spoiler

Pa1VLP4.png

VAB picture (I am playing in sandbox...)

X9V38qw.png

Launch. Craft is very simple - should be able to be launched on basic facilities.

qP0d22L.png

In orbit, no cheats.

nMO2SES.png

bAFS0KC.png

Enough delta-v for mun flyby. Return is a problem.

Also, when burning at apoapsis, try pointing your craft down below the prograde marker to prevent the apoapsis from going up too much.

Have you also been doing gravity turns to get to 70 km or so?

Edited by qzgy

If you're that close to reaching orbit you might be able to just tack on an additional tiny fuel tank to your payload and make orbit with fuel to spare. Assuming you can, of course - we'll need to know how much you've upgraded your launchpad/VAB for that. And like qzgy says, we need a picture of your craft to help.

1 hour ago, wadusher1 said:

If you're that close to reaching orbit you might be able to just tack on an additional tiny fuel tank to your payload and make orbit with fuel to spare. Assuming you can, of course - we'll need to know how much you've upgraded your launchpad/VAB for that. And like qzgy says, we need a picture of your craft to help.

Remember to talk to Mr Tsiolkovsky before doing that :wink:
(adding an 45fuel to the craft, doesn't mean getting 45fuel extra in space...but as you suggest, the remaining 5units might just be enough)

1 hour ago, qzgy said:

Can you show pics?

EDIT: I quickly built a craft with the parts at your disposal - see spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

Pa1VLP4.png

VAB picture (I am playing in sandbox...)

X9V38qw.png

Launch. Craft is very simple - should be able to be launched on basic facilities.

qP0d22L.png

In orbit, no cheats.

nMO2SES.png

bAFS0KC.png

Enough delta-v for mun flyby. Return is a problem.

Also, when burning at apoapsis, try pointing your craft down below the prograde marker to prevent the apoapsis from going up too much.

Have you also been doing gravity turns to get to 70 km or so?

This craft will defenitly get me into orbit thank you. But Im still have troubles circularizing it. (Im trying to add a photo but dont know how, sorry im very new to this) 

Edited by Rbenard108

Just now, Rbenard108 said:

This craft will defenitly get me into orbit thank you. But Im still have troubles circularizing it. (Im trying to add a photo but dont know how, sorry im very knew to this) 

As I said, try pointing down a bit while burning at apoapsis. Do you have the tracking station upgraded? Then you can create a maneuver node by clicking on the orbit.

12 minutes ago, Rbenard108 said:

This craft will defenitly get me into orbit thank you. But Im still have troubles circularizing it. (Im trying to add a photo but dont know how, sorry im very new to this) 

Oh, exciting- you're so close! The only easy place to raise your Periapsis (and circularize your orbit) is from your Apoapsis. If you happen to already be past your Apoapsis (and plummeting back towards Kebin) then burn a little up (blue direction) and prograde.

Let us know if it works!

edit: Picture's worth a thousand words.

Spoiler

image.jpg

^^ This way ^^ . You'll notice your apoapsis eventually shift forward to meet you, and at that point just burn pure horizontal prograde.

On the other hand if you're before your apoapsis and still on the climb, just time warp untill you hit apoapsis, or alternatively burn a bit down as @qzgy suggests.

Edited by Cunjo Carl

31 minutes ago, Cunjo Carl said:

Oh, exciting- you're so close! The only easy place to raise your Periapsis (and circularize your orbit) is from your Apoapsis. If you happen to already be past your Apoapsis (and plummeting back towards Kebin) then burn a little up (blue direction) and prograde.

Let us know if it works!

edit: Picture's worth a thousand words.

Reveal hidden contents

image.jpg

^^ This way ^^ . You'll notice your apoapsis eventually shift forward to meet you, and at that point just burn pure horizontal prograde.

On the other hand if you're before your apoapsis and still on the climb, just time warp untill you hit apoapsis, or alternatively burn a bit down as @qzgy suggests.

Just got a circular orbit! My problem was I was burning to early so I would be too far infront of my apoapsis

35 minutes ago, qzgy said:

As I said, try pointing down a bit while burning at apoapsis. Do you have the tracking station upgraded? Then you can create a maneuver node by clicking on the orbit.

Just got a circular orbit! Thank you so much! 

Sure way to get the prbit cicularised at this point. Wait till you have the apo between 70-80 km and look how steep is your trajektorie. Than you have a rule of tumb. For every 100 m/s to short for orbital velocity burn 5 sec earlier before apoapsis and and 1-2 deg below the apo marker. And if the apo runs away uncontalable you can cut the engines and wait a little. You must not insert in one step you can split the burns.

Funny Kabooms 

Urses 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.