KSP on PS4

Greetings,

Bought KSP on Playstation Network for $39, and really enjoy it

UNTIL... it crashes. Which it does 80% of the time I play more than an hour or so

Curiously, I've found when it crashes one of the following occurs:

70% of time - PS4 locks up, have to close application 

25% of time - PS4 crashes to error message, able to send crash report

5% of time - PS 4 crashes to error message and corrupts the save game file

The game is fun, no doubt. But I've never seen a game sold with this degree of crash bugs   8-(

Know you have a new developer working on console patches. All we can ask is 

- Please continue the priority to fix

- Please continue detailed updates for console progress

We want to play. But the game as sold is borderline unplayable

Thanks

This is what i've done to prevent some of the crashes. I hope it can help you experience less.

In general it seems the game has a graphical leak or something because after a couple hours in FPS start dropping. Try to reset application every so often.

In VAB, do not have more than 1 autosaved ship in your loads. Do not leave multiple parts placed as red (Not attached to anything) and do not spam the save button.

For nodes in map mode, dont ever use the circle button to highlights an AP or PE while you have a node edit open and don't close and reopen node for edits. If I have to reopen a node for an edit the third time, I will just kill the node and start a new. Also don't set targets while node editing.

The last crash (I hit the save button twice on a big ship) I had ate my save file, but I was able to restore from a usb backup. if you have PS Plus, go into settings and turn off auto-upload then backup daily. I will only backup once I made the initial save, quit the app and reload to menu to make sure it wasnt corrupted.

I really hope blitwork and SQUAD can fix this terrible mess flying tiger has caused. I like the game, bought it about a year ago; but I got away from it for a while. I started it back up and I started getting used to the game, though the complexities of doing things right (like docking, transfer orbits, etc.) go past my mind. But this crashing BS is getting on my nerves to no end, especially when its a crash that deletes my save.

Like recently, I've been playing on sandbox mode to try and get the "Look Ma, No Tractor Beams!" achievement (Gold Trophy) and every time I try getting two, differently launched ships close enough so I can start moving in to dock, I feel as if the game is taunting me, saying "Oh you're going for this achievement well guess what.... F. U", crashes and deletes the save. I even went as far as making an "Apollo" style rocket using stock parts in sandbox mode

(Mammoth engine + two S3-14400 Tanks + decoupler + one rhino engine + one S3-14400 Tank + AE-FF3 Protective Shell + terrier engine + adapter 02 + x200-8 Fuel Tank (with four lander legs attached to it) + mk. 2 lander can + clamp-o-tron + decoupler + vector engine + adapter 02 + Rockomax x200-32 Fuel Tank +Fl-R1 RCS Fuel Tank (place four RCS thrusters around the x200-32 fuel tank) + decoupler + heat shield 2.5m + Mk 1-2 Command Pod + Clamp-o-Tron)

Anyway, after getting the "Apollo" ship in a good orbit around Kerbin, I would separate the CSM from the rest of the ship (leaving the lander on the second ascent stage), as soon as I was about 1.5 meters away from the lander's Clamp-o-Tron, I'd set it as a target and do a 180 degree turn to face the lander. I'd move the CSM towards it and dock; but after docking, the trophy doesn't pop, even after doin two orbits around Kerbin, undocked and landed back on the planet, the trophy did not unlock. So idk at this point, the way the game wants ppl to do this achievement always crashes on me and the "Apollo" way doesn't seem to work, so if anyone wants to try to build the Saturn V rocket using stock parts, there's the plan, be my guest and try it out and if the trophy does unlock for you while using the Saturn V, please let me know what you guys did differently.

Also, there's one thing that irks me about building a ship in the VAB, why can't we scale the camera up or down? meaning moving the camera up towards the ceiling or down towards the floor? That's the one thing that drives me the most when building rockets. Often times I'd have to go to the launching pad and bring the rocket back just to get that extra zoom out so I can move the entire ship upwards so I can add the remaining stuff on the bottom.

Edited by Gunsnipe3795

2 hours ago, Gunsnipe3795 said:

Also, there's one thing that irks me about building a ship in the VAB, why can't we scale the camera up or down? meaning moving the camera up towards the ceiling or down towards the floor?

You can by holding IN R1 and moving the right stick right and left. It will also work moving parts up and down If Its selected.

I will try to get that trophy tomorrow and let you know tye outcome.

11 minutes ago, Kerbal-Willie said:

You can by holding IN R1 and moving the right stick right and left. It will also work moving parts up and down If Its selected.

I will try to get that trophy tomorrow and let you know tye outcome.

Could you please try with the Saturn V, cause I have NO idea what I'm doing wrong. You would think that docking the CSM to the lander (despite them being on the same rocket would still pop the trophy

5 minutes ago, Kerbal-Willie said:

@Gunsnipe3795 would you be able to provide a picture of your saturn v? Im trying to follow along with the specs you posted above. But I feel like I've gone astray.

You can send it to my psn Willie-Wall if thats easier.

I'll have to rebuild it myself (save file got destroyed) but yea give me a moment and I'll send you the picture

10 minutes ago, Kerbal-Willie said:

@Gunsnipe3795 would you be able to provide a picture of your saturn v? Im trying to follow along with the specs you posted above. But I feel like I've gone astray.

You can send it to my psn Willie-Wall if thats easier.

@Kerbal-Willie I've sent you a pic on PSN; but here's the instructions: From bottom up

Stage 1
1 - S3 KS-25x4 "Mammoth Liquid Fuel Engine
4 - AV-R8 Winglets (placed in a + pattern)
1 - Kerbodyne s3-3600 Tank
1 - Kerbodyne S3-14400 Tank
1 - TR-38-D decoupler

Stage 2
1 - Kerbodyne KR-2L+ "Rhino" Liquid Fuel Engine
1 - AE-FF3 Airstream Protective Shell (3.75m) (set sides slider to 2)
1 - TR-18A stack decoupler
8 - RV-105 RCS thruster Blocks (4 on the top and 4 on the bottom of the Fuel Tank, both placed in an X formation)

Lander
1- LV-909 "Terrier" Liquid Fuel Engine
1 - Rockomax Brand Adapter 02
8 - EAS-4 Strut Connectors (for stability)
1 - Rockomax x200-8 Fuel Tank
1 - FL-R1 RCS Tank (offset it into the fuel tank)
4 - LT-1 Landing Struts (place in a + formation retracted)
1 - Mk2 landing can (make sure no Kerbals are in the can)
4 - RV-105 RCS Thrusters (placed on the landing can in an X formation)
1 - Rockomax Brand Adapter 02 (flip 180 and place on top of the landing can)
1 - Clamp-o-Tron Docking Port
1 - TR-18A Stack Decoupler (flip 180 with the red arrow pointing down)

Command/Service Module
1 - TR-18A Stack Decoupler (red arrow pointing upward, place the stage component with the same decoupler component that's on the top of the lander)
1 - S3 KS-25 "Vector" Liquid Fuel Engine
1 - Rockomax Brand Adapter 02
1 - Z-4K Rechargeable Battery Pack (optional with solar panels)
1 - Rockomax x200-32 Fuel Tank
4 - RV-105 RCS Thrusters (centered on the fuel tank in + formation)
1 - FL-R1 RCS Fuel Tank (offset into the Rockomax Fuel Tank
16 - EAS-4 Strut Connector (eight will connect from the adapter to the adapter on the top of the landing can and eight more will connect from the adapter to the protective shell)
1- Rockmax Brand Decoupler
1- Heat shield (2.5m)
1 - Mk1-2 Command Pod
3 - MK2-R Radial-Mount Parachute
1 - TR-2V Stack Decoupler (flip 180 with the red arrow facing down, place the decoupler stage between the second ascent engine and the fairing)
1 - Launch Escape System (offset it to be flushed with the pod, place its staging with the TR-2V Stack Decoupler)

Add Kerbals to the command pod and that's your Apollo rocket with stock parts. You should have 10 stages when done.

10 - Stage 1 engine
9 - decouple
8 - Stage 2 engine
7 - stack decoupler with launch escape system
6 - fairing
5 - the two decouplers on the top of the landing can
4 - the decoupler on top of the fairing
3 - engine for the CSM
2 - engine for the lander
1- decoupler
0 - parachutes

I've froze halfway through the build four times in sandbox mode, which I haven't spent as much time in. I'm going to start an easy career and get everything needed unlocked and try this again. I did notice the clamp'o'tron is very finicky to actually get it to snap correctly on top of the command pod. I could place it as green deadcenter but wasnt aactually connected. I will update soon, sorry for the delay.

On 4/11/2017 at 7:23 PM, Gunsnipe3795 said:

Also, there's one thing that irks me about building a ship in the VAB, why can't we scale the camera up or down? meaning moving the camera up towards the ceiling or down towards the floor?

Apparently, (at least for me) there is, (if you are on the ps4) i was building a rocket, and i did R1/left motion on R3, and it scrolled up. That freaked me out. SO BAD!

33 minutes ago, DunaManiac said:

Apparently, (at least for me) there is, (if you are on the ps4) i was building a rocket, and i did R1/left motion on R3, and it scrolled up. That freaked me out. SO BAD!

Yeah I know, Kerbal-Willie gave me the heads up on that, still waiting word on the issue with the docking though

@Kerbal-Willie Hey, you can stop the Apollo Test, I can confirm that it won't unlock the trophy (which is stupid regardless). You can however do it in sandbox mode, I will take pics of the two separate ships I used to get it (they're basically identical with DS2 not having parachutes or a heat shield. I will put up the part list for both ships

Docking Ship 1 Parts from bottom to top:

1 - S3 KS-25x4 "Mammoth" Liquid Fuel Engine
4 - AV-R8 Winglets (placed in a + formation)
4 - TT18-A Launch Stability Enhancers (placed in an X formation between the winglets)
2 - Kerbodyne S3-14400 Tanks
1 - TR-38-D decoupler

Stage 2

1 - FL-R1 RCS Fuel Tank (Offset it into the S3-14400 Tank)
8 - RV-105 RCS Thruster Blocks (4 on top of the tank and 4 on the bottom, both placed in a + formation)
1 - AE-FF3 Airstream Protective Shell (3.75m) (set sides slider down to two
1 - Rockomax Brand Decoupler

CSM

1 - RE-L10 "Poodle" Liquid Fuel Engine
1 - Rockomax X200-16 Fuel Tank
1 - FL-R1 RCS Fuel Tank (Offset it into the X200-16 Tank)
4 - RV-105 RCS Thruster Blocks (placed near the top of the X200-16 Tank in a + formation)
2 - Gigantor XL Solar Array (placed on the decoupler
1 - Heat Shield (2.5m)
1 - Z-4k Rechargeable Battery Pack
1 - Mk1-2 Command Pod (put one Kerbal in it)
3 - Mk2-R Radial Mount Parachutes (lay them 90 degrees sideways, leave their sliders at default)
3 - illuminator Mk1 (placed near the top of the pod)

Docking Ship 2 part list from bottom to top (this ship won't have a heat shield and parachutes, think of this ship as a defect):

1 - S3 KS-25x4 "Mammoth" Liquid Fuel Engine
4 - AV-R8 Winglets (placed in a + formation)
4 - TT18-A Launch Stability Enhancers (placed in an X formation between the winglets)
2 - Kerbodyne S3-14400 Tanks
1 - TR-38-D decoupler

Stage 2

1 - FL-R1 RCS Fuel Tank (Offset it into the S3-14400 Tank)
8 - RV-105 RCS Thruster Blocks (4 on top of the tank and 4 on the bottom, both placed in a + formation)
1 - AE-FF3 Airstream Protective Shell (3.75m) (set sides slider down to two

CSM

1 - RE-L10 "Poodle" Liquid Fuel Engine
1 - Rockomax X200-16 Fuel Tank
1 - FL-R1 RCS Fuel Tank (Offset it into the X200-16 Tank)
4 - RV-105 RCS Thruster Blocks (placed near the top of the X200-16 Tank in a + formation)
2 - Gigantor XL Solar Array (placed on the decoupler
1 - Z-4k Rechargeable Battery Pack
1 - Mk1-2 Command Pod (put one Kerbal in it)
3 - illuminator Mk1 (placed near the top of the pod)

They should have continued to experiment with the game, develop it for the consoles before they released it. My guess is that they released it for a quick buck, knowing players can't refund, and are very slowly fixing it. 

RECALL THE GAME FROM CONSOLE AND FIX IT BEFORE  YOU RELEASE A BUG FILLED PIECE OF TURD.

2 hours ago, TheKorbinger said:

They should have continued to experiment with the game, develop it for the consoles before they released it. My guess is that they released it for a quick buck, knowing players can't refund, and are very slowly fixing it. 

RECALL THE GAME FROM CONSOLE AND FIX IT BEFORE  YOU RELEASE A BUG FILLED PIECE OF TURD.

yeah they should've tested this game out further before releasing it last year

12 hours ago, Gunsnipe3795 said:

@Kerbal-Willie Hey, you can stop the Apollo Test, I can confirm that it won't unlock the trophy (which is stupid regardless). You can however do it in sandbox mode, I will take pics of the two separate ships I used to get it (they're basically identical with DS2 not having parachutes or a heat shield. 

Thanks for the time and work you put into this, its good news that trophy is obtainable.

I just got the docking trophy 3 or 4 days ago, maddening learning curve. I used ridiculous amounts of fuel initially, but I'm getting a bit better at it.

The docking ships centre of mass is what you'll be rotating around, so having a large Mono-propellent tank hanging off the back of your ship can make the final few metres frustrating. I keep having to stop and figure out which way is 'U' or 'Down' when using the trigger translations, the game seems to pick the 'up' of the station when I get close to docking,  the camera swings around and I've got to try and re-orient myself.

I'm not thrilled about the fact that the' X' button on PS4 was chosen to do both the Staging operations and the selector for Linear and Rotational toggling, I've started to get closer under rocket power and if I forget I should be flipping to burn retro-grade and instead push 'X' to toggle linear to rotational, well I'm suddenly ditching a perfectly good rocket and fuel.

Frequently freezes during builds, like routinely. I have only been able to get a few missions into career mode before it "data corrupts" and all saves in all modes are lost. So I'm not doing the career at all.

But I'm loving this game!

I'm currently trying to fly my SR-71 replica all the way around Kerbal, I've got to figure out optimal altitude and speed, is there any kind of trim tab or non-cheat auto pilot?

13 hours ago, GrouchyDevotee said:

I just got the docking trophy 3 or 4 days ago, maddening learning curve. I used ridiculous amounts of fuel initially, but I'm getting a bit better at it.

The docking ships centre of mass is what you'll be rotating around, so having a large Mono-propellent tank hanging off the back of your ship can make the final few metres frustrating. I keep having to stop and figure out which way is 'U' or 'Down' when using the trigger translations, the game seems to pick the 'up' of the station when I get close to docking,  the camera swings around and I've got to try and re-orient myself.

I'm not thrilled about the fact that the' X' button on PS4 was chosen to do both the Staging operations and the selector for Linear and Rotational toggling, I've started to get closer under rocket power and if I forget I should be flipping to burn retro-grade and instead push 'X' to toggle linear to rotational, well I'm suddenly ditching a perfectly good rocket and fuel.

Frequently freezes during builds, like routinely. I have only been able to get a few missions into career mode before it "data corrupts" and all saves in all modes are lost. So I'm not doing the career at all.

But I'm loving this game!

I'm currently trying to fly my SR-71 replica all the way around Kerbal, I've got to figure out optimal altitude and speed, is there any kind of trim tab or non-cheat auto pilot?

If you're flying between 700-1,200 m/s, you'd need to use the beefy atmospheric engines, they are very good at high altitude and somewhat fuel efficient. Propper altitude would be between 15 km and 20 km. you can maintain high speed, while fuel usage is low.

I would know because I have my own 1:1 scale replica :D

Edited by TheKorbinger

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.