ATEC

Stock Payload Fraction Challenge RE-BOOT

37 posts in this topic

I'll just leave this here, even though it doesn't fit in the rule.

Here's my reusable lifter which can lift 13.42t. It weighs 71.78t with the payload, so the score would be 18.70

It didn't get into 100k X 100k orbit, but was certainly capable of reaching the orbit as it had plenty of dv on 70k X 120k orbit.

@Abastro I like the vehicle so if you send me the .craft file i will test her out to test if i can get her to full 100K orbit. If that works i will get you in the Full Rocket Recovery list

@Abastro
Are you interested in sharing the .craft file or not if you share it i will check if you are eglible for the leaderboards!

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, ATEC said:

@Abastro
Are you interested in sharing the .craft file or not if you share it i will check if you are eglible for the leaderboards!

Oh I missed this. Sorry.

I don't have the exact version of it now, but possible entries are here: 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/13b2rchjw8hioeh/AAC6VwTb2nF4ZC4MUb5P_Ioba?dl=0

EDIT: Welp, I didn't know that this one is hard to fly for an average pilots. I may try this challenge myself with these lifters.

Edited by Abastro

@Abastro I tested the lifter and i was able to get it to the allowed orbit! So i will be adding you to the leaderboards right now!

1 person likes this

A submission for the Rocket Only Recovery category: the D2, a single-stage recoverable rocket with a payload mass fraction of 20.23%:

Btw, if rocket builders manage to land the rocket at the runway, would we also benefit from the extra points:

On 4/12/2017 at 7:47 AM, ATEC said:

*just for SPH SSTO* You will get 10 points extra if you de-orbit and land ON the KSC runway (so maximum amount of points for the SSTO mission will be 110)

For that matter, I feel that if landing a plane on the runway gets 10 points extra, rockets landed on the launchpad should get 30 points... :D

Craft file: https://kerbalx.com/swjr-swis/MassFraction-Rocket-D2

Edited by swjr-swis
imgur/forum being weird

Currently I'm working on my personal project, so not today. I would try it tomorrow, with MAMMOTH POWER!

3 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

if rocket builders manage to land the rocket at the runway, would we also benefit from the extra points. 

A different idea for similar results: 1 bonus point for every 10% (rounded down) recovery. Ir something along this lines. However multiple recoverable stages can be tricky. 

1 hour ago, Spricigo said:

A different idea for similar results: 1 bonus point for every 10% (rounded down) recovery. Ir something along this lines. However multiple recoverable stages can be tricky.

Nothing a bit of trial & error can't help us perfect. I am managing to land the rocket on the KSC area now with pretty good accuracy.

So I was curious how well my D2 would fare compared to the top performer of the same category in the last iteration of this challenge, @Nefrums RLS Mk1. Since the old rules allowed a minimum orbit of 70x70km, I was able to shave off total launch mass by removing one tank and shortening the fairing, and at the same time topping up the payload ore tanks. The D2b was able to put 101.537t of payload into a 70x70km orbit with a 478.373t launch mass, which puts it at a 21.23% mass fraction. Not a bad result for a single-stage rocket vs a two-stage one... I was pleased. :D I'll have to find some time this weekend to remake it in 1.0.5 and see if it maintains that performance with the exact same physics too.

An entry for the Rocket category (non-recoverable), the D1b, a single-stage non-recoverable lifter reusing the D2 concept:

21.19% mass fraction, with some room for improvement (the fuel remaining probably means the X200-8 tank can be removed, which would shorten/lighten the fairing as well, although I'd likely have to accept leaving a huge piece of debris in orbit).

Edited by swjr-swis

What the heck, I've never formally entered one of these before.  This ship isn't really an efficiency award winner but she looks nice, flies nice, and gets to orbit in a hurry with a very simple (ie overpowered) flight plan.  All the design details here:

https://kerbalx.com/fourfa/ORCA-v2-Heavy

76.6 tons of fuel delivered to 101km orbit, returned to runway on a once-around mission. Got mechjeb installed but not used during this run.  I know for sure piloting by hand cost me about ~80m/s in orbit vs the very precise SmartA.S.S. flight profile.  Fully fueled weight on the runway at start is 216,835kg. Cargo is 76,600kg.  35.33%, plus 10, final score 45.33?