How to improve Stock helicopters maneuverability and response?

I built a small, Stock helicopter a few weeks ago, and I want to rebuild it for a stock aircraft carrier I am building. The only problem is that it is incredibly hard to control, as in I have never been able to fly more than a few hundred metres from the runway. If I want to use this in a carrier, then I will need much more prescise controls, and I can't figure out why it flys so badly.  I would really appreciate any thoughts or suggestions with this.

pics:

vkbD7is.jpg

0Progll.jpg

If anyone wants to test it, the launch predure is: stage, switch to tail rotor, hold Alt+E until full trim, switch back, stage and repeat with the main rotor. Craft file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4jiyhgdu65b6c6z/Extraction helicopter.craft?dl=0

Edited by MiffedStarfish

welll.. I'm not a pilot so please forgive me if I'm not 100 percent right.  

but if a helicopter is hovering and you want to go forward.  you lean the helicopter nose down.  it will fly forward but you will also lose altitude in the process. 

so you would need to compensate the throttle or angle of attack of the rotorblades in order to maintain the same altitude.  this is pretty difficult to simulate in ksp, i think

tldr: flying a helicopter in real life is pretty darn difficult.way more difficult than a plane! getting the controls right in ksp won't be an easy task. 

i would like to try to fly your machine but I'm currently away for the holidays. your design looks really sweet! a tip of the hat to you good sir. are you using jet propulsion?  how did you make the bearings? 

please keep us posted on your findings

Edited by xendelaar

I have experience flying VTOLS, and it has basically the same control scheme, just it responds to my input so randomly it's nearly impossible to fly. Helicopter controls in real life compliment and effect each other and need to be compensated for, but it's so bad I can take off, climb a hundred metres, tap any one control button, and it will reliably hit the ground within 30 seconds. If flying a VTOL is like driving a car, flying this is like riding a rabid animal, albeit an animal with suicidal tendencies and a passion for making holes in the ground. I am alternating between my joystick and keyboard, but they have no real difference. I'll test some things out today. There are no jets, partly because I wanted the helicopter to run entirely of electric power, and partly because the margin of lift for the rotors isn't very big. The main bearing is made out of a 1.25m structural fuselage with 2 stayputnik probes and a LOT of reaction wheels attached on a decoupler, and the tail rotor bearing is basically a one ended thermometer hinge made with upscaled parts for reliability. It's hard to explain without pictures. :) Hopefully I can find some fix and reupload this, because it's unusable right now. Sorry for the wall of text. 

Edited by MiffedStarfish

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.