Yuri’s night

Teilnehmer

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Belated but related: the space-themed exposition, complete with Gagarin's pod, has reopened at VDNKh. It's half-empty, not all of the exhibits have tags, AND THE MARS-3 ROVER DEPLOYMENT ARM IS SHOVED OUT OF VIEW... but it's still better than the electronics bazaar that used to be there.

The whole of VDNKh is a construction zone, though. Avoid it.

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...

The twelfth day of the fourth month of the one thousandth nine hundredth and sixty first year of the Common Era.

Mandatory party-produced speeches notwithstanding, Major Yuri Alekseyevich Gagarin did not see empires, republics, or states from orbit- he saw the planet Earth, the only known place to harbor life in the universe, which we all share as our habitat.

In the spirit that so many claimed to possess at that time, here’s hoping we can all live together peacefully, and cooperate for the benefit of each other. Cheers.

alexandr-ugrumov-f2.jpg?1477329721

Note- this thread was revived last year despite no activity, so I am assuming it is ok to revive it again this year.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Happy Cosmonautics Day!

ハッピーロシアの宇宙の日!

С днем* космонавтики!

*I was today years old when I learned that the umlaut is optional like the acute accent mark.

Here's hoping by the 100th anniversary of his flight the Russian space program will be in a better shape than now.

Seattle's Museum Of Flight has a Yuri's Night party every year. This year the radio station I listen to in the car (C89, a Seattle high school radio station) was heavily advertising that the party would include wearable vibration technology for deaf and hard of hearing people to enjoy dancing to the music.

23 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

Seattle's Museum Of Flight has a Yuri's Night party every year. This year the radio station I listen to in the car (C89, a Seattle high school radio station) was heavily advertising that the party would include wearable vibration technology for deaf and hard of hearing people to enjoy dancing to the music.

Nice, I haven't been there since 2016 unfortunately. When I eventually get around to going again I'm excited to see the B-52, which wasn't there the last time I visited.