Will this craft get into Evian orbit?

1 hour ago, nascarlaser1 said:

If your willing to install 1 extra mod, you can get KER which is mechjeb minus the autopilot + more info...

Which 'more info' it shows? For what I know MJ show as much as KER but I may be wrong, but even so I wonder if it misses something important.

3 hours ago, cratercracker said:

(Mechjeb hates me and doesn' tell me my Dv stats)

Well, there is always the option to do the calculations by hand . I think MJ (and also KER) may have some trouble calculating deltaV with crossfeed, asparagus and dropped stages.  My solution for this its to move the parts around, locking resources and removing decoupler from stage, to get the actual partial values. Also worth checking setting for flow priority and crossfeed, just in case.

21 minutes ago, Spricigo said:

Which 'more info' it shows? For what I know MJ show as much as KER but I may be wrong, but even so I wonder if it misses something important.

I used to use mechjeb before I found KER, and from what I could find mechjeb did not tell me about heat for the different parts. (This could also be due to the fact that it took me 3 days to figure out how to open mechjeb in the first place, and so maybe I just didn't look in the right spots).

I'd say it is impossible to tell from your screen shots. 

Some general advice though...

Dump everything you don't need for the ascent before/at lift-off: landing struts, chutes, air brakes, etc. 

Consider carefully what you have in the fairing as payload. What do you really need? Small amounts of extra mass here will lead to a much bigger rocket overall. Do you really need to put 10t into orbit???

Streamlining is vital for Eve. The biggest drag producer you have there is the mk2 sized tanks and engines. The efficient Eve lifters use mk1 parts. 

Mechjeb will not show the dV correctly if you are relying on crossfeed of the couplers and fuel priority when dropped stages have engines. This because coupler crossfeed is bi-directional and the outer engines can continue to run from fuel from the inner stages. If you want to see accurate numbers then disable crossfeed on the couplers and add fuel ducts instead. 

If you want to stick with that design then you could consider staging the Twin-boars in pairs. 

Edited by Foxster

47 minutes ago, Foxster said:

I'd say it is impossible to tell from your screen shots. 

Some general advice though...

Dump everything you don't need for the ascent before/at lift-off: landing struts, chutes, air brakes, etc. 

Consider carefully what you have in the fairing as payload. What do you really need? Small amounts of extra mass here will lead to a much bigger rocket overall. Do you really need to put 10t into orbit???

Streamlining is vital for Eve. The biggest drag producer you have there is the mk2 sized tanks and engines. The efficient Eve lifters use mk1 parts. 

Mechjeb will not show the dV correctly if you are relying on crossfeed of the couplers and fuel priority when dropped stages have engines. This because coupler crossfeed is bi-directional and the outer engines can continue to run from fuel from the inner stages. If you want to see accurate numbers then disable crossfeed on the couplers and add fuel ducts instead. 

If you want to stick with that design then you could consider staging the Twin-boars in pairs. 

Only thing that will be dumped will be heatshield (on the bottom) and EVA hatch. (mk1 crewcabin) (also at the bottom,covered with heatshield) and also 4 aerobrakes (they are used for precisious landing on Olimpus mountain)

There is only mk-1-2 pod in the fairing. I wanted to make more aerodynamical. (yes i am going to land mk-1-2 on Eve and return into suborbital trajectory, sounds crazy ,right?)

And yes, i will try to stick to that design. Good idea with Twin boar staging though.

1 minute ago, Foxster said:

Want to post a craft file? I'm interested in taking a look. 

Would you advise me how to do it? I've never done so before.

(btw i am using 1.2.1 version , if it somehow matters)

Edited by cratercracker

29 minutes ago, cratercracker said:

Would you advise me how to do it? I've never done so before.

(btw i am using 1.2.1 version , if it somehow matters)

Anywhere that you can upload and share a file will be good e.g. Dropbox. 

You need to find where you are saving your VAB craft e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\saves\Science 1_0\Ships\VAB

Then in that directory find the .craft file for this craft. 

You could take the time to calculate or add a mod, or you can do what I do, just fly the thing.  If it works save and refine the design.

If you don't like to "return to VAB" then this way may not be for you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.