New idea to transport resources railgun instead of rockets

While there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the concept, the energy densities required are still too high for anything practical.

Edit:

The idea is not new, though. Heinlein wrote about it in 1960s. 

Edited by Shpaget

@Shpaget ninjaed:D

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Moon_Is_a_Harsh_Mistress

@IllyrianTheGreat give it a go. Railgun concept, cyborg enginiering as limb prostetic and AI Concepts. A great book to have a good time. Has a good view on colonisaton problems too. 

@topic massdriver/railgun concept is a diskussion point for projects that involve atmosphereless worlds or orbital structures.

Edited by Urses

I've got this new idea: We could put humans on mars using rockets!

Seriously... this idea is 50 years old. Its been suggested for the Moon, for Mars, even for Earth (with the end of the railgun elevated quite a bit so that the muzzle is high in the atmosphere in thinner air - although many other similar designs that don't use EM propulsion have been proposed like this as well).

There was some saying I was trying to find, buy my searching only found a song with a similar title... here are some of the lyrics:

And don't throw the past away
You might need it some other rainy day
Dreams can come true again
When everything old is new again
When everything old i-is new-ew a-again

Would there be a actual gain if you were to build this on Earth with the following scenario.

Make a solid construction with Mount Everest as it's base and tower the railgun to about 36.000 feet or something (much higher if possible). This is very, very bold I know, don't get into engineering details, just the theoretical gain please.
Then shoot a 1stage rocket on this rails and let it climb on the slope of the Mount everest or something with as much speed as the stage can bare (3000, 4000!?mph maybe?)
This way we will be able to drastically lower the launch mass. Up to the point perhaps where we'll be able to launch stuff to orbit with a single stage.
I'm sure we will have found better ways to get to orbit by the time such a project is even accepted let alone build. Just wondering if it would be at all usefull.

1 hour ago, Razorforce7 said:

Would there be a actual gain if you were to build this on Earth with the following scenario.

Make a solid construction with Mount Everest as it's base and tower the railgun to about 36.000 feet or something (much higher if possible). This is very, very bold I know, don't get into engineering details, just the theoretical gain please.
Then shoot a 1stage rocket on this rails and let it climb on the slope of the Mount everest or something with as much speed as the stage can bare (3000, 4000!?mph maybe?)
This way we will be able to drastically lower the launch mass. Up to the point perhaps where we'll be able to launch stuff to orbit with a single stage.
I'm sure we will have found better ways to get to orbit by the time such a project is even accepted let alone build. Just wondering if it would be at all usefull.

It's a common proposal, and it's not a terribly bad one. Now, towering up to 36,000' is a bit overly optimistic. The infrastructure investment is just so high that we'd never be able to get it set up when you can just put your orbital stage on top of a first stage and launch from anywhere.

Not to mention that you're limited as to inclination.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.