In-Game Mod Support

Hello All

I have lots of mods installed... And I'm sure most of you guys have got a lot installed as well.

So I was thinking if maybe in the main menu there could be a tab where you can view all mods installed and if possible, disable/enable them.

The KSP Modding community is a grand one and I'm sure it would make a lot of people happy if this was a thing.

Cheers, WhiskyHotel3

Some people dislike it because it can mess things upTM. I personally do not use CKAN, but I do not run a hugely modded install (mine has around 35-40, small enough for me to keep track of them). If you were willing to download another mod, the community might come up with something quick and dirty that would accomplish what you are looking for. 

9 hours ago, WhiskyHotel3 said:

Why do you dislike CKAN? It's a great program.

Because its really not.  It thinks it knows better than you, so if a mod doesn't have the correct version number, it doesn't matter if you think it works fine, you can't even install it. I know what is best for my game on my computer, not CKAN.  In fact CKAN mods are often outdated too, which is another problem. Then there has been the issue of the CKAN team vs. the mod developers, this has been mostly resolved but reluctantly on the part of the CKAN devs and it still leaves bad taste behind.  Suffice to say, CKAN is not the glorious solution it claims to be.

12 hours ago, WhiskyHotel3 said:

Why do you dislike CKAN? It's a great program.

No, it isn't 

What tends to happen, as @Alshain mentioned above, is CKAN tries to be slick with installing mods but has a tendancy to mess things up ... let alone the fact that many mods listed are old versions

In addition to this, users of CKAN have a tendancy to install mods that are listed without checking the mods thread or doing any research into what the mod does or is capable of doing

IMO CKAN is the lazy way to install mods and also creates headaches for modders

Just my half pence on the matter

The CKAN issue aside, Unless it has some sort of indexing file it looks for, like AVC (which modders would have to agree to include) or the plugin incorporates a massive mod database in the vein of CKAN (which modders would have to agree to be part of), such a plugin would have to tally every single module, just like MM does during load.  I don't know about you, but as someone with dozens of mods, and over a thousand individual modules, I think that list would be tedious to sort through.

Actually, if they implemented a Mod Manager in the Launcher, that would be something. The only problem would be how would it flag mods as in-active. I can only think of moving the mod's folder to another folder of some sort that KSP (and MM) can safely ignore. The launcher would be ideal since you can't mess with mods while KSP is actually running.

How you GET mods is a different matter. At this point, it's a bit too late for SQUAD to set-up their own infrastructure for a centralized mod repository like SpaceDock for the game (well, the Launcher, really) to directly hook into. Factorio was smart and got it done before a 1.0 release. Though if SQUAD rolled out an integrated mod system suddenly, modders would probably support it (unless it was broken... No offense, but let's be realistic considering their track record until recently.)

As mentioned, maybe a KSP 2.0 will have a fully baked-in mod manager and downloader with requisite infrastructure in place. (Along with better fleshed out gameplay mechanics from the get-go and a better game engine optimized for physics calculations created in a high-performance programming language... Yeah, not happening, but I can dream of a KSP made in C++ or something.)

On 14.4.2017 at 4:27 PM, Alshain said:

It thinks it knows better than you, so if a mod doesn't have the correct version number, it doesn't matter if you think it works fine, you can't even install it. I know what is best for my game on my computer, not CKAN.

This is not an issue anymore. In the current version you can mark any KSP version as compatible and then CKAN will let you install each mod compatible with these versions as well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.