Petition to name the first Dragon Capsule "Jebadiah Kerman"

Ships usually have feminine names, so perhaps Valentina would be a better choice, and would have the bonus of honouring the first woman in space. 

Just occurred to me: Another fitting person to name a Dragon 2 capsule after would be late author Anne  McCaffrey, aka the Dragonlady, who wrote the "DragonRiders of Pern" series. After all, SpaceX astronauts could be called "Dragonriders," at least until the ITS enters service. 

Nonetheless, I signed the petition. 

Edited by StrandedonEarth

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2017 at 1:20 AM, Razorforce7 said:

Finally after decades of hard work we came up with a reusable pod, more modern and high tech then all the other crew capsules before it. And you want to name it Jebediah Kerman?

Yes. (Though I also actually prefer Valentina).

To idolize a green computer animated goblin

Naming something does not equal "idolizing" that thing. I'm quite confident that the fellows at NASA who chose names like Apollo and Atlas and Mercury were not, in fact, pagan worshipers of ancient Greek gods.

They just thought it SOUNDED COOL. Pretty much the same exact motivation here (also why I prefer Valentina mostly. More favorite character, but also just SOUNDS cooler and more epic by a long shot versus jebediah).

to be praised over greater names such as Atlas or Apollo. 

A lot of these gods weren't even that nice of guys, I don't see much of any objective "greater than" argument -- Apollo for example was a god of learning and some cool stuff, but also a god of a lot of excrementsty stuff like plagues and colonialism. He was important, sure, but far from a roundly good character. Nor is there anything particularly inherently "good" about Greek culture in particular, it's just another culture. And this is part of North American culture...(Squad is Mexican, most players are probably American) *shrug*

Edited by Crimeo

On 01.05.2017 at 11:49 PM, Crimeo said:

Apollo for example was a god of learning and some cool stuff, but also a god of a lot of excrementsty stuff like plagues and colonialism

Kethane mod allows to sacrifice a Kerbal to get Kethane.
KSC definitely requires an extension like Credence. The more experienced Kerbal you sacrifice - the more ISP and joints reliability you get.
(Yes, Vikings series.)
(Also, this motivates to train Kerbals)

Edited by kerbiloid

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2017 at 3:26 PM, DarkOwl57 said:

There's a good portion of the world that's never even heard of KSP; much less Jebediah Kerman.

There's also a good portion of the world that neither knows nor cares about SpaceX. 

Haven't signed. Much as I like KSP, there are plenty of other actual astronauts to name the first Dragon II after. Or, continuing with an existing SpaceX theme, there's no shortage of other amusing Culture ship names to choose from. I think Ultimate Ship the Second would work quite nicely, although it's tempting fate a bit. :) Profit Margin would be an honest name too - perhaps a little too honest!

On 4/17/2017 at 4:23 PM, ZooNamedGames said:

I reject this petition and demand it be named Valentina Kerman. She is better and deserves it.

If it was named Val after Valentina Tereshkova, then I would sign this as well!  :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.