PARADOX solving.

Orion Kerman

13 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Thats why its called your SUBconsicous. :) You are not aware of your subconscious making up everything.

Oh wow, should I cut out my organs or something ? :sticktongue:

--------

Though, this is not really science, someone should warn the mods...

EDIT : Frame that, answered below.

Edited by YNM

1 minute ago, YNM said:

Though, this is not really science, someone should warn the mods...

Pretty sure we're not breaking any rules. All the mods could do is to move this thread to the Lounge, and I'm not sure if even that is warranted. 

3 minutes ago, YNM said:

All the fuss of Russel's teapot are also like that. (We often change it down here to a floating lunch box somewhere between here and object body (or bodies).

I think Sam Harris used an example once of a huge diamond buried in his back yard. Would you lend him substantial money based on the claim that there is this 'fridge-sized diamond in his yard? He goes on to suggest that it's an important belief to him, that he would;t want to live in a world without a giant diamond in his yard, etc. He's pretty funny.

6 minutes ago, tater said:

I think Sam Harris used an example once of a huge diamond buried in his back yard. Would you lend him substantial money based on the claim that there is this 'fridge-sized diamond in his yard? He goes on to suggest that it's an important belief to him, that he would;t want to live in a world without a giant diamond in his yard, etc. He's pretty funny.

Well some paradoxes like that can actually be quite important in understanding observation and analysis (ie. statistics) - that you don't, can't and will never know everything about it. You can only say about things you've carefully constructed to ensure those perturbation will more or less just zeroes out, or just straight out say what you've observed.

Edited by YNM

14 minutes ago, Orion Kerman said:

Ok @MiffedStarfish

Let's solve another.

How about enhanced-buzz-21967-1375298314-5.jpg?dow

Both of the sentences refer to a sentence within the picture

Then we will do hard and more scientific paradoxes

Frame of reference

Turn it upside down and the "true" one is solved, but the "false" one still needs work.

Edited by Findthepin1

Good one hmmm well here is a solution it's no that pinnocio it's a different one

1 minute ago, MiffedStarfish said:

turn it sideways. There is no sentence at the top or bottom, loop ended, paradox over. Next. :D

Great solved @MiffedStarfish

Now how do we solve zenos paradox

Edited by Orion Kerman

Just now, Red Iron Crown said:

Please leave the title alone moving forward, people will think it's a new thread.

My contribution: What would happen if Pinocchio said "My nose is about to grow"? Would his nose grow or not?

Yes. If his nose did not grow within a timeframe acceptable to be called "about to", his sentence would become false, and his nose would grow. This wouldn't make his sentence true again and become an infinite loop, because by the time his nose started to grow, the time period between the point in time where he said his nose was *about to* grow and the point in time where it did, is too large a timeframe (as I said earlier in this post) to be considered 'about to'. So it would grow.

3 minutes ago, Findthepin1 said:

Yes. If his nose did not grow within a timeframe acceptable to be called "about to", his sentence would become false, and his nose would grow. This wouldn't make his sentence true again and become an infinite loop, because by the time his nose started to grow, the time period between the point in time where he said his nose was *about to* grow and the point in time where it did, is too large a timeframe (as I said earlier in this post) to be considered 'about to'. So it would grow.

I like that

Search up zenos paradox, it means the tortoise would not move

Edit:ok

But if the man weighs more we could put them 1000 metres high and the man would fall faster.

Edited by Orion Kerman

1 minute ago, Orion Kerman said:

I like that

Search up zenos paradox, it means the tortoise would not move

Edit:ok

Zeno's dichotomy paradox: the steps of dividing in half have to stop at the Planck distance, otherwise they are physically impossible. That means there are a finite number of steps that are needed to get all the way across the path.

I don't know right now how to solve the tortoise one.

5 hours ago, Nibb31 said:

Can you prove to me that you are not just a simulated AI designed to make us think that you are a real person asking a question on a forum?

Bet you can't !!!

Turing test?:wink:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_test

PS: if this is a full AI why it is not a real person?

Funny Kabooms

Urses

Edited by Urses

7 hours ago, Orion Kerman said:

@Brotoro prove that you did!

What? Are we changing the rules now? I thought you were playing by the "I make an outrageous statement, and you need to disprove me!" rules.  So you should be the one to disprove me. Come on...I thought I created you better than that.

Edited by Brotoro

12 hours ago, Steel said:

Just to be completely, unnecessarily pedantic, Russell's teapot is actually supposed to be between Earth and Mars, nowhere as exciting and distant as the Oort cloud.

Also, since the inner edge of the Oort cloud is - by many estimates - almost a light year away, then even the Solar Probe is not going to get there any time soon.

It moved. Prove that it didn't!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.