Deported B.V. and Flying Tiger Entertainment, Inc. today announced the following:

SQUAD

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

April 14, 2017

Amsterdam, The Netherlands/Fullerton, California

Deported B.V. and Flying Tiger Entertainment, Inc. today announced the following:
Deported and Flying Tiger Entertainment have resolved all differences between them with regard to Flying Tiger Entertainment’s port work on XBox One and PS4 consoles together for “Kerbal Space Program”.  The parties have ended their relationship in all respects and Flying Tiger Entertainment shall have no further involvement with “Kerbal Space Program” or “Deported.”

Well, I don't think most in the community will be that surprised based on what we expected when the partnership was first announced. Hopefully whatever future arrangements are made will result in an improved console experience.

3 minutes ago, Jarin said:

So... what does this mean for Squad and console KSP? 

It's just the formal announcement of something we already knew. A new company took over the console port some weeks back and is making progress. 

3 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

It's just the formal announcement of something we already knew. A new company took over the console port some weeks back and is making progress. 

Ah good. I hadn't been following the details of console development since I probably won't use it, but it seemed like progress had been made lately, so I suppose this is part of why. 

6 minutes ago, magico13 said:

Well, I don't think most in the community will be that surprised based on what we expected when the partnership was first announced.

Oh yeeahh... I remember people saying Flying Tiger was... possibly not an optimal choice. Man, that was a while ago.

5 minutes ago, Alshain said:

So... Wii U version? (I know, I'm holding hope for something that is probably hopeless, but dang it, we were promised a 'definitive version').

Maybe I am jumping the gun here but I would hope for it to be made for Switch rather than Wii U  

6 minutes ago, TheKosmonaut said:

Maybe I am jumping the gun here but I would hope for it to be made for Switch rather than Wii U  

Probably, but I have the PC version, so no reason to buy the Switch version (I probably won't buy a Switch at all, truth be told).  The Wii U version would have been cool with the second screen, but if they do Switch only instead, then I won't buy anything at all.  I mean, I can play it in it's original format or play it with gimped controls on a console, which would you choose?

However, they advertised it to be coming to Wii U already.  That doesn't mean they won't back out anyway, but they told us it was coming.  There are however still indie companies developing for Wii U, so I'm still at least a little hopeful.

Edited by Alshain

Who is this, so called, Deported B.V. (if that is their real name) and how have they fooled the world into believing they are the true and rightful owners to Kerbal Space Program!

Scandalous indeed!

Edited by klgraham1013

Just now, klgraham1013 said:

Who is this, so called, Deported B.V. (if that is their real name) and how have they fooled the world into believing they are the true and rightful owners to Kerbal Space Program!

Scandalous indeed!

LOL, someone hasn't read the KSP EULA.

It's some kind of subsidiary or branch company for Squad, I'm not really sure.

Edited by Alshain

1 hour ago, klgraham1013 said:

The only people who read EULAs are the companies who write them.

When it was updated to talk about Deported there was some pretty sizeable discussion within the forums about who/what they were. They're the company that technically owns the rights to KSP, "based" Amsterdam I believe. I think it shared an address with a lot of other companies. It's likely a tax thing. They never really officially discussed it as best I am aware,but for all intents and purposes for consumers Deported is Squad.

2 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

Scandalous indeed!

Deported B.V. = (legally) Squad. That should have been included in EULA.

3 hours ago, Jarin said:

Oh yeeahh... I remember people saying Flying Tiger was... possibly not an optimal choice. Man, that was a while ago.

That is an understatement of the year.

From the day one the community openly questioned their capability to port KSP, and raised apparently valid concerns based on Flying Tiger's portfolio of ridiculously simplistic games (which now prominently displays KSP, if I may add).

Anyway, even though I don't plan on playing any console version, I'm glad Squad and Deported (first time I hear that name) can find someone more suitable for the job, or even make the port themselves. You know what they say about doing things right.

1 hour ago, Shpaget said:

Anyway, even though I don't plan on playing any console version, I'm glad Squad and Deported (first time I hear that name) can find someone more suitable for the job, or even make the port themselves. You know what they say about doing things right.

They hired Blitworks, which has an awesome portfolio including ports of Bastion, Don't Starve, Rebel Galaxy, Invisible Inc., and many others.  This is a company that dedicates themselves to porting games for other companies.  KSP is still one of the most complicated games even they have done, but I feel more confident they can get it done.

9 hours ago, Alshain said:

They hired Blitworks, which has an awesome portfolio including ports of Bastion, Don't Starve, Rebel Galaxy, Invisible Inc., and many others.  This is a company that dedicates themselves to porting games for other companies.  KSP is still one of the most complicated games even they have done, but I feel more confident they can get it done.

I played Rebal Galaxy on the PS4, they did a good job. I never had any problems and smooth controls/game play. 

7 hours ago, fourfa said:

"Deportes" means 'sports' in Spanish which is probably the origin

Unlikely.

Deported B.V. was registered in The Netherlands 2 days (22nd of Jan 2015) before Squad made their KSP "1.0"  Beyond Beta announcement (24th of Jan 2015). Deported B.V.'s main investor is Parallel Dynamics S.A. de C.V., located in Mexico City.

The Netherlands has been reported as the largest tax haven for US companies, and is also popular among Central American and Mexican companies/individuals to evade taxes. A recent report by Oxfam listed The Netherlands as the 3rd worst corporate tax haven worldwide, and the leading European county facilitating corporate tax avoidance.

We discussed this a while back, for anyone who's interested.