Requesting Help For Game Development

ZooNamedGames

2 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

I started playing on computers when I was 6. It was on 286s and similar stuff. No programming yet, just messing around.

Lucky you :P. First machine when I was 13 IIRC. 386 from hand-me-down bits. Hercules mono display & 4MB RAM. :cool:

4 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

I started with Logo and BASIC.

Blasphemy! Borland Pascal is where it's at. The first thing I was told when I received that PC (in a beer crate) was "Don't learn BASIC, it'll teach you bad habits", here, have some books. :wink:

7 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

At 15, in high school, we didn't have a strong computer class, so I was left to my own devices, so I picked up Arduino.

Sounds familiar, though in my case there were no arduinos to be had, so "own devices" led to somewhat more nefarious pursuits...

Every aspect of the game, be it 2D or 3D art, models, shaders, sounds, even dialogues require code.

The code is the magic stuff that brings all those aspects into a coherent and sensible product. Without code that dictates when and how a piece of music plays, it's just a mess.

2 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Lucky you :P. First machine when I was 13 IIRC. 386 from hand-me-down bits. Hercules mono display & 4MB RAM. :cool:

Blasphemy! Borland Pascal is where it's at. The first thing I was told when I received that PC (in a beer crate) was "Don't learn BASIC, it'll teach you bad habits", here, have some books. :wink:

Sounds familiar, though in my case there were no arduinos to be had, so "own devices" led to somewhat more nefarious pursuits...

Can you believe it that I've never even seen Pascal in person? BASIC was all the rage in that elementary school class.

As for bad habits in BASIC... More than once I did a for loop without the "for" bit, using go tos. Nobody told me those things even existed. When I found out about them I thought they were witchcraft.

Arrays? Why bother with those? I can always make more variables, right?

Then I needed some timing code for synchronization (robot behaved poorly) , but didn't know how to do it properly, so I figured I could just let the computer do some random unnecessary math to occupy it for a while... Worked fine, until the competition where I ended up having a (much) faster computer. Had to find a solution on the spot, with the jury approaching.

4 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Man, i am old ! My first computer was a Sinclair ZX80 (1kb memory). I recall that the mainframe at the Berlin university had 4MB ram and served 250 Terminals. I also recall that a guy with 1000 lines of code on cards stepped to the cardreader and stumbled over the cables on the floor. The Unix machine where the normal mortals had to sit at had a cutting edge MC68000 processor and that poor thing had to do everything, serve 12 terminals, do all the i/o, and run programs in the sparetime in between. You typed a key, waited 20 seconds and got the echo .... *sigh* :-))

@ZooNamedGames, little has changed since the last time and that is disappointing. I can only tell you that coding is less demanding than you might think. It is mainly your attitude towards your own abilities that keep you from doing something meaningful. There are so many good tutorials out there that don't cost nothing, game engines for free that you can program as you like and you get help on the connected forums There is no reason for you not to install one of those engines and just get going and work yourself through the tutorials.

14 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

I figured I could just let the computer do some random unnecessary math to occupy it for a while..

Works fine, until you try doing math reliant on that timing...

13 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

Worked fine, until the competition where I ended up having a (much) faster computer.

Ahh, runtime error 200, I remember you well.

This kind of thing was actually pretty common, to the point that there was software (moslow?) that existed only to burn CPU cycles, so those old apps wouldn't divide by zero.

20 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

Every aspect of the game, be it 2D or 3D art, models, shaders, sounds, even dialogues require code.

The code is the magic stuff that brings all those aspects into a coherent and sensible product. Without code that dictates when and how a piece of music plays, it's just a mess.

Good thing I have a coder to make it work. Think I know a freelance 3D modeler who even himself said you need "little to no coding experience" to 3D model.

8 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

@ZooNamedGames, little has changed since the last time and that is disappointing. I can only tell you that coding is less demanding than you might think. It is mainly your attitude towards your own abilities that keep you from doing something meaningful. There are so many good tutorials out there that don't cost nothing, game engines for free that you can program as you like and you get help on the connected forums There is no reason for you not to install one of those engines and just get going and work yourself through the tutorials.

I have tried. Obviously as others have shown, effort is worthless. So what's there to be said. 

13 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

Man, i am old ! My first computer was a Sinclair ZX80 (1kb memory).

Well, my 386 was pretty old when I got it... But yeah, you're probably prehistoric. :P

I also recall that a guy with 1000 lines of code on cards stepped to the cardreader and stumbled over the cables on the floor.

The question is: Which hurt more, hitting the floor or having to get those punchcards back in order? That's gotta sting.

5 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I have tried. Obviously as others have shown, effort is worthless. So what's there to be said.

:confused:
Effort put men on the moon, among other things.

Edited by steve_v

9 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Works fine, until you try doing math reliant on that timing...

Ahh, runtime error 200, I remember you well.

This kind of thing was actually pretty common, to the point that there was software (moslow?) that existed only to burn CPU cycles, so those old apps wouldn't divide by zero.

It was for syncing multiple motors, so tolerances were quite forgiving, but when you test and optimize your code for a 286, but end up running it on Pentium 133, you get noticable issues.

5 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Good thing I have a coder to make it work. Think I know a freelance 3D modeler who even himself said you need "little to no coding experience" to 3D model.

While it's true that you don't need coding to make a 3D model, you'll be hard pressed to integrate that model in a game without some code.

13 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

Man, i am old !

A few days ago I was told by an ISP tech support guy that I was old too... And I even lied about my age!

3 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

It was for syncing multiple motors, so tolerances were quite forgiving, but when you test and optimize your code for a 286, but end up running it on Pentium 133, you get noticable issues.

While it's true that you don't need coding to make a 3D model, you'll be hard pressed to integrate that model in a game without some code.

A few days ago I was told by an ISP tech support guy that I was old too... And I even lied about my age!

Hence why I have a coder.