Thermometers On SETI ProbeSTACK 2 & Aircraft?

OK guys and gals. a little general information needed.

Even though I've got the full version of KSP for about six months or so, I really have enjoyed the Demo.  However I've finally decided to get serious with KSP and started a career game in 1.2.2.  So far things have been going really well, and money's flowing in at the moment.  However a couple of issues have appeared and maybe you'll be able to help me with them.  Let's start with the most important first.

I've never liked aircraft flight simulators and admit I'm really bad at them; being totally honest I've never even sussed out how to line up on a runway in any I've tried.  Recently my available contracts list has been inundated with contracts which really need to be completed by aeroplane.  My question is if I ignore them will I be able to keep going with this career game, or is it not possible to do so without flying planes?  Would MechJeb be able to fly the thing for me if I really MUST take on these contracts (never used MJ before... know nothing about it...).

The second question is much easier.  I've accepted a couple of contracts to put satellites into polar orbits of Kerbin.  The contract stipulates they must be able to record temperatures.  I built a satellite for the first using a SETI ProbeSTACK 2 which has a thermometer already built in.  However when I achieve the designated orbit, I'm not getting my reward.  On the contract checklist I have all green ticks except for the one concerning the thermometer, so does that mean the one built into the SETI ProbeSTACK 2 isn't acceptable?

It's not the end of the world if it isn't, but I made such an effort nailing that orbit that I don't much fancy doing it again.

Thanks guys.

1. You don't need to do the airplane contracts. Most players don't, AFAIK. If you just let he contract offers expire, the contract system will figure you don't like those kind and it will basically stop offering them to you. However, you don't need to use the runway, You can take off from the grass plenty easily. And building airplanes is almost as fun as building rocketships, so you're kinda missing out. :)

2. When the contract says a temperature reading, yes, it means with a 2HOT thermometer. Nothing else can be substituted.

Edited by bewing

The good news is that you don't have to line up on runways on KSP, it's easier to land on the grass, though you can land on or in pretty much anything.

Career mode kind of forces a choice on you, whether to invest in aircraft or rocket tech - you'll prioritise different branches, and for aircraft you're going to spend your money on the hangar and runway not VAB and pad.

I am an airplanes person but i admit those contracts aren't great.  There;s a bug in the physics engine that means even aircraft that should be stable tend to roll slowly but irresistably to the left in flight, given the lack of proper autopilot this means constantly correcting heading the whole way there and back again.

Even if you're going rockets only, do pick up the Aviation tech ASAP though.   Sub orbital flights are a whole lot more survivable when you can steer the capsule on re-entry.   Disposable rockets, re-usable astronauts , preferably.

51 minutes ago, AeroGav said:

Even if you're going rockets only, do pick up the Aviation tech ASAP though.   Sub orbital flights are a whole lot more survivable when you can steer the capsule on re-entry.   Disposable rockets, re-usable astronauts , preferably.

I strongly disagree. Design your re-entry vehicle to be stable and follow a good ballistic trajectory instead of counting on control surfaces to steer it. IMHO is a good practice, better to adopt it sooner than later.

Also we have 'magical reaction wheels' and  different tech nodes provide Basic Fins, AV-T1 winglet, service bays* and AV-R8 winglet, so aviation is not even required for steering.

*a.k.a MK0 airbrake.

1 minute ago, bewing said:

I agree with aerogav -- ballistic reentry is extremely low tech and ignores an entire branch of physics. Flying your way down out of the sky and back to the pad is much more elegant.

Well, I think we need to agreed that we disagree then. Just to present my reasoning:

1st: elegance is overated, we dont need much of the luxuries KSP offer us, is a proven fact:wink:

2nd: no problem with a elegant glide back to the runaways or a well performed suicide burn back to launchpad. But letting it fall and open the parachutes just a couple of hundreds meter above KSC also have its value.

3rd: My divergence is mostly because aerogav was suggesting for a rocket only(or rocket focused) career.

Guys... guys... LOL... I have more than enough trouble just surviving reentry without worrying about then gliding down to the KSC.  I admit doing so would look classy, but let me first figure out how to walk before starting to run! :D

Thanks all for offering your advice, it's a pretty complicates game and I really do appreciate the help.

Mechjeb doesn't exactly have an autopilot, but you can make a fairly effective "autopilot hold" with SmartASS.  Just go to surface mode, with roll 0 and pitch to hold altitude you should be fairly good.  Heading might get awkward on great circle routes, since it changes without you turning...

@The Flying Kerbal

For mechjeb i'm the false person but Throttle Controlled Avionics by allista have this autopilot funktion (but on realy high tier) and has many other nice functionaloties beside too. But be warned allistas mods are something you have to be realy self concern person or you tend to become a OP-God:D

And as a small advice for carrier mode. Use Contract Configurator and disable the Survive Contracts or use the Mod+F12 to cancel them out (you get no reputation disadvantages this way)

Funny Kabooms 

Urses

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.