What Would A Kerbal Movie Be About?

KAL 9000

34 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

This might sound a little weird, but if @SQUAD did reach out for me to write a screenplay... and ideally it would be a joint effort with my buddy @Kuzzter and other writers, and not just by myself... I don't know if I'd want to do Emiko. Don't misunderstand, I love writing Emiko Station, and I'm having all sorts of fun, but I'll be the first to admit, it's a little "out-there", and probably not for everyone. 

I feel the same way about First Flight, although I'm flattered by @TheKosanianMethod's kind words! I guess you could probably do an 'plucky amateurs go to space' type of film based on the early days of the KIS, although it would need a lot of creativity to make a decent screenplay out of my material. The meat of First Flight - the evolving story on Kerbin and how that feeds into the fledgling Kerbal Space Program would probably make a better TV series (ideally a nice high production values one :) ) than a film. Too many intersecting plot threads for a good film and frankly, quite a lot of worldbuilding time where nothing overtly exciting happens. 

Also, borrowing @Ten Key's words:

"First Flight had me a little confused when I first started reading it. My general feeling is that the best stories are character driven, and while the characterizations in First Flight are good none of them really pop out at me. . .they serve to drive the story forward, but do not always stand up well on their own.

That would make First Flight a plot driven story, but it really didn't feel like it. It is engaging in a way that plot driven stories rarely are, even though there really didn't seem to be any main characters. And then it hit me. First Flight is a character driven story where the world itself is the protagonist..."

Those are good comments well made and I'll happily own them! But, as I think you'll agree, they don't really shout out 'Awesome Movie Material' :)  I'm with @Just Jim - a joint effort at a screenplay would work much better, simply because it could draw on the strengths of many different authors.  

6 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Dang! I'd like to see how big a budget a series like the Fast and Furious took (With..... 8? 9 movies?) Gotta be at least 500. But 500 for one movie?!

$48 million for the first movie.

FF2- 76

FF3- 85

FF4- 85

FF5- 125

FF6- 160

FF7- 190

Fate of the Furious- 250

Total: $971 million USD

8 minutes ago, KSK said:

The meat of First Flight - the evolving story on Kerbin and how that feeds into the fledgling Kerbal Space Program would probably make a better TV series (ideally a nice high production values one :) ) than a film.

Now that's another good idea!

28 minutes ago, KSK said:

The meat of First Flight - the evolving story on Kerbin and how that feeds into the fledgling Kerbal Space Program would probably make a better TV series (ideally a nice high production values one :) ) than a film.

I'm thinking the same with Emiko... It's gotten so long and complex, and I've tried so hard to make sure each chapter ends on either a climatic note or a cliffhanger, that it might make a better animated series than a movie. A nice, high budget, animated series....  :D

Edited by Just Jim

4 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Minecraft has a movie?

They finally got a contract with someone (I think 20th Century Fox) to make a movie. Expected release in May 24, 2019

Edited by Mr. Me

2 minutes ago, Mr. Me said:

They finally got a contract with someone (I think 20th Century Fox) to make a movie. Expected release in May 24, 2019

Well it's either going to be really good or the cringiest piece of poo since the world began

On 4/17/2017 at 10:05 AM, Brent Kerman said:

I would say this would be my preference:

1. Kerbfleet

2. First Flight

3. Plan Kappa

4. Emiko Station

5. The Asteroid Sentinels

But, we have Nasult, we have @HatBat, there are others as well. I think a cooperation of the best minds could make something epic. And I would put any help I could if needed.

I second that. They are all great, however, seeing as the "Saga of Emiko Station" is perpetually far far from over, and Plan Kappa is stuck on a cliff hanger, there might be issues. I think that Kerbfleet would be great, but it would also be nice to cover something with a description of the beginnings of the space program.

1 hour ago, Emperor of the Titan Squid said:

They are all great, however, seeing as the "Saga of Emiko Station" is perpetually far far from over

Yeah... this is the biggest reason mine would make a better animated series than movie... I've already got 4-5 seasons worth of material, with no end in sight. :)

Edited by Just Jim

4 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Forget a movie, with that budget you could book a satellite launch.

Yup. And send it into an orbit where it would come around in another 500 years. It could be a space time capsule - and of course, put in a Jebediah plushie!

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

A Kerbal remake of 2001: A Space Odyssey

Impossible. Need apes for the intro, but animals are a do-not-ask theme in KSP.
(Or at least somebody should make a animal skin collection for TextureReplacer and King-Kong's mask for KIS)

Edited by kerbiloid

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

Impossible. Need apes for the intro, but animals are a do-not-ask theme in KSP.
(Or at least somebody should make a animal skin collection for TextureReplacer and King-Kong's mask for KIS)

1001: A Space Oddity

Just use green-furred kerbals with smaller heads. Their heads get bigger and they get smarter when they encounter the monolith. Then they start clubbing each other with struts. 

Edited by StrandedonEarth

I'm thinking several:

Ace Kombat (basically ace combat with kerbals, but with space fighters fighting at space against dunatians)

Kall of Kerbal: Kerbol Warfare (a conflict of interplanetary colonies of kerbals escalated into a full scale space war where jeb is the ace pilot of kerbin who leads the last remaining ship from kerbin after it's destroyed by dunatians)

Joolshine (our kerbol has been died out, we need the power of kraken to send a ship piloted by Danny kerman to detonate a stellar bomb inside the jool to transform it into a star (and accomplishing Danny's dream of 'defeating' jool))

That's my idea. Any comments is appreciated :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.