What Would A Kerbal Movie Be About?

KAL 9000

I think we all agree that KSP would look great on the big screen. WE COULD GET MOAR BACKSTORY YAY!

Anyway, let's say it's five years in the future. KSP has become as popular as Minecraft (hopefully), and some film studios are thinking about making a movie. 

We bring a good director, excellent staff, and talented actors on board, as well as a $500 million budget (totally not realistic, but this is hypothetical).

WHAT DO YOU WANT THE KERBAL MOVIE TO BE ABOUT?

Some of my ideas: 

-The beginnings of the space program (Think the Right Stuff and Apollo 13 with Kerbals) 

-The Dunian (It sells itself!)

-Kerbfleet: The Movie 

-Spy thriller starring Special Agent Kirrim 

What ideas do you have?

well i think about this taco-tuesday.jpg, ksp lego is what you need  or tralala megablock tralalal [insert copyright + whatever block + format c: /defrag ...], and you know me and copyright are not exactly what we can call great friend]

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

It's my personal belief that video game movies, particularly ones about open-world or sandbox-style games are destined to fail because they were originally designed with player choice in mind. I think that for these types of games, if you want to relinquish control over the game, just look at some let's plays and other entertainment for the game.

HOWEVER, for the sake of the hypothetical situation, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing some kind of brief origin story of how the Kerbals came to be and settle at their current KSC. Maybe with some early spaceflight triumphs thrown in- or perhaps the climax is when Jeb finally gets to space for the very first time and is awestruck by the sight of Kerbin in his window. Now that would look amazing.

it prolly has to do with "ra", i mean you know that thing floating in the sky that make grow stuff sending photon and slowly dying each time it send photon to make stuff grow, in the meanwhile this thing float in something even bigger with something really weird in the center ... call the grox ....

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

2 hours ago, KAL 9000 said:

-The beginnings of the space program (Think the Right Stuff and Apollo 13 with Kerbals) 

-The Dunian (It sells itself!)

-Kerbfleet: The Movie 

-Spy thriller starring Special Agent Kirrim 

YES!!! 

2 hours ago, KAL 9000 said:

What ideas do you have?

The Dresian! :D 

10 minutes ago, WinkAllKerb'' said:

it prolly has to do with "ra", i mean you know that thing floating in the sky that make grow stuff sending photon and slowly dying each time it send photon to make stuff grow, in the meanwhile this thing float in something even bigger with something really weird in the center ... call the grox ....

What? :/ 

This will be a saga about a little boy who had a dream.

Space, rockets, other planets, light of the cold bright stars far away...

Nobody was understanding him, everybody was mocking him, but he held on and didn't surrender.

He was unlike the others.

And his dream has gotten fulfilled. He had never built a rocket and never flied into space, as others. He has kept his individuality.

While others were madding around the KSC launching stuff because there was absolutely nothing to do on their Kerbin except exploration, he wanted just to sit at home and play tetris.

Edited by kerbiloid

5 hours ago, WinkAllKerb'' said:

Huh? I heard my name. Oh? What? Your talking about the guy with the lowercase name? Ok then. 

18 minutes ago, RA3236 said:

Huh? I heard my name. Oh? What? Your talking about the guy with the lowercase name? Ok then. 

Protocol 21 activated. Yellow code. Please stay still until the process complete. 3... 2... 1... Okay, Response positive. Thank you for your co-operation.
Test subject model RA ser.no. 3236 is successfully terminated. Activating RA #3237.

Why not take it in a different direction... and put the focus where it is due... on @HarvesteR and his vision for an awesome game... then chronicle the development of KSP from the early roots, etc. to Squad now... And to break the scenes in the movie, have a snippet from the game - maybe a minute and a half, all the way from the beginning, to ending the movie with credits going over some more recent Scott Manley videos... Make it one freaking long commercial about KSP...

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Protocol 21 activated. Yellow code. Please stay still until the process complete. 3... 2... 1... Okay, Response positive. Thank you for your co-operation.
Test subject model RA ser.no. 3236 is successfully terminated. Activating RA #3237.

[ERROR] Termination unsuccessful:
MODEL RA3236, FUNCTION: GAMER
ERROR REPORT UNSUCCESSFUL
EMERGENCY OVERRIDE ACTIVATE

I personally think actors wouldn't work. I think a cross between the styles of hatbat and nassualt and the cinematics made for uptdates would look great on a big screen, but I'm not sure a film would be a great thing. The story of the kerbals and game is underdeveloped because the focus is on orbital mechanics and simulating realistic space flight, which would be hard to represent in a film. kerbals verbally don't speak, except for some tutorial like writing dialogue, and the game in general was never meant to have lore, (which I'm not saying is a good thing) and I think the franchise would work a lot better in books and such, as stories written in fan works prove. 

TL;DR I don't think the franchise would work in a hour+ film, I think it would be better with overwatch-style animated shorts documenting momentous occasions and possibly comics. 

A spin-off. Kerbals: The Community.

Several thousand people sitting before computers and smartphones looking at the forum page, typing something and from time to time laughing or screaming.
(Hot news: 2nd season is confirmed.)

Edited by kerbiloid

9 hours ago, Tex said:

...origin story of how the Kerbals came to be and settle at their current KSC. Maybe with some early spaceflight triumphs thrown in- or perhaps the climax is when Jeb finally gets to space for the very first time and is awestruck by the sight of Kerbin in his window. Now that would look amazing.

So we just put some of @KSK's writing to film?

8 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

yeah. You and about 600 more writers.

In all seriousness, the movie would be like @Just Jim's "Emiko Station" Or @Kuzzter's "Kerbfleet"

This might sound a little weird, but if @SQUAD did reach out for me to write a screenplay... and ideally it would be a joint effort with my buddy @Kuzzter and other writers, and not just by myself... I don't know if I'd want to do Emiko. Don't misunderstand, I love writing Emiko Station, and I'm having all sorts of fun, but I'll be the first to admit, it's a little "out-there", and probably not for everyone. 

12 hours ago, KAL 9000 said:

I think we all agree that KSP would look great on the big screen. WE COULD GET MOAR BACKSTORY YAY!

si

Anyway, let's say it's five years in the future. KSP has become as popular as Minecraft (hopefully), and some film studios are thinking about making a movie. 

Minecraft has a movie?

We bring a good director, excellent staff, and talented actors on board

*whispers* Please be the Hunger Games cast. Please be the Hunger Games cast...

as well as a $500 million budget (totally not realistic, but this is hypothetical).

HOLY! I don't think a movie has ever had that big of a budget...........

5 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

HOLY! I don't think a movie has ever had that big of a budget...

The only movie close to that would be Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. It took the Hobbit Trilogy to get to $623 million - or about $200 million a movie. 

8 minutes ago, TheKosanianMethod said:

The only movie close to that would be Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. It took the Hobbit Trilogy to get to $623 million - or about $200 million a movie. 

Dang! I'd like to see how big a budget a series like the Fast and Furious took (With..... 8? 9 movies?) Gotta be at least 500. But 500 for one movie?!

I would say this would be my preference:

1. Kerbfleet

2. First Flight

3. Plan Kappa

4. Emiko Station

5. The Asteroid Sentinels

But, we have Nasult, we have @HatBat, there are others as well. I think a cooperation of the best minds could make something epic. And I would put any help I could if needed.

Edited by Brent Kerman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.