Does anybody else think Jeb and Val should hook up?

imkrazy

2 minutes ago, StahnAileron said:

I can't really see it considering KSP is pretty cartoony. I see them more as bickering co-workers/"rivals" for the humor.

I literally JUST FREAKING POSTED THIS. HOW!?!?!?!?!

lol. How corny can you get :P
Did you had hallucinogens in your Easter breakfast or what?

1 hour ago, imkrazy said:

I know it MAY sound weird,

Yes, very.

but they are a perfect match.

I've heard that one before. But tell me all about it.

They are the only two badass kerbals

So the other Kerbals are just fearfull useless putz?

they are both pilots

Very perceptive! However, a relationship or even marriage between two co workers is against KSC policies.

and are both courageous.

How do you know? My Vall just died by failing to lithobrake properly on the Mun on her 2nd mission. There is no more 'both' to speak of, meaning no Vall for Jeb to hook up with. I've had a lot more courageous events with Jeb also.

it just makes sense to me...

Yeah, apparently. But please, explain yourself.

2 hours ago, Razorforce7 said:

lol. How corny can you get :P
Did you had hallucinogens in your Easter breakfast or what?

Yes, very.

I've heard that one before. But tell me all about it.

So the other Kerbals are just fearfull useless putz?

Very perceptive! However, a relationship or even marriage between two co workers is against KSC policies.

How do you know? My Vall just died by failing to lithobrake properly on the Mun on her 2nd mission. There is no more 'both' to speak of, meaning no Vall for Jeb to hook up with. I've had a lot more courageous events with Jeb also.

Yeah, apparently. But please, explain yourself.

Trolling the troll.  I like it.  

I wouldn't mind some mild romance, just some subtle stuff.

Its always difficult to be romantically involved with a co-worker, I know from personal experience.

Edit: What I meant was maybe a picture of the two standing in the local diner with Jeb's face covered in cake and Val just laughing her butt off at the spectacle.

Edited by TimePeriod

Really a bad idea- Either they are stuck in close quarters unable to get some space (get it?) for years at a time, or you are talking a seriously long distance relationship :) Imagine breaking up 2 weeks after launch on a 10 year mission, oof.  What, am I being cynical? No, YOU'RE the one that is being cynical pal! Get outta my face!

I guess this game is way too Roland Emmerich in order to develop romance. Most people revert once Jeb or Val are killed but that's about all character depth you get from KSP and to be fair you wouldn't expect your protagonists to die in an Emmerich film as well...

Just now, RoverDude said:

Time to violate the no memes rule, and post a 'Overly Obsessed Valentina' meme...

Meh, everyone knows rules are there to be broken, to free the artist from any of them... what do you mean, out of topic?

And like absolutely EVERYTHING, rocketry can be made into debatably tasteful innuendos.

Jeb and Valentina hooking up!?  Are you mad!  I've never seen two astronauts so jealous of each other in my life.  Every single mission that one of them goes on, the other one comes storming into my office with some reason why they should be going instead of the other one;  "Jeb's flown more missions then me, it's not fair!"  "Val has more accumulated time in space time then me, it's not fair!"

Jeb is by far the worst, he acts like he should have been the sole pilot in the initial selection.  You'd almost think that in some past reality that he, Bill, and Bob were the only three astronauts in existence.  I can't wait for the next Duna launch window to open so I can send him out there for a couple of years.  The only reason Val's not complaining about him getting that mission is because I promised her the first Kerballed landing on Eve.  Of course I'm sure she'll start bragging about how she can handle the high gee's of Eve and Jeb can't and the bickering will start again.

Right now I actually have them on the same mission to establish Neil deGrass Kerman base on the Mün.  I got so sick of their squabbling about who gets to go that I had enough and said, "You know what, fine, you BOTH get to go, and you are both in charge of the mission.  It's a seven person ship, and there's tons of room on the base for your two big heads, so just go!  But Liszan Kerman is going too, and even though you two are collectively in charge of the mission, she's in charge of the two of you, and I swear to the Kraken you two better listen to her!"  I feel sorry for the other 5 kerbals on board, especially Liszan.  I'm going to have to award her some special medal when they get back.  Thankfully according to Lizsan they are too busy being star-struck and looking out the window in awe to argue with each other.  I can only hope that that will last for the full 100 day duration of the mission.

So what do I think about Jeb and Val hooking up?  Not a chance in kell.

Oh GAWD! They would kill each other. They are both such bad ass career oriented people, it could never work. I mean what would a normal a normal phone call be like with those two?

"Honey, are you going to make it back for dinner tonight?"

"Nah, I blow up the whole Mun station today, and am stranded for the next two weeks. It was AWESOME! I can't stop smiling."

"Uh, Jebbie? It might take a bit longer than that. I accidentally destroyed the orbital space station. I have never had so much fun in my life!"

"That's OK. I wanted to see how fast I could go with my jet pack anyway."

"Hold that thought, Gene Kerman is on the other line. I think he has another mission for me..." 

The thing is, because of how the Kerbal are presented overall and the fact that failure is not only acceptable, but sometimes encouraged, I see the main four Kerbals as comedic sociopaths (especially Jeb...). It's a bit hard to take them serious enough to consider something like romance. Platonic life partners would be more befitting, if anything. Otherwise, as noted, I see them brawling over the next spot on a rocket...

Besides, there are some things you just shouldn't do as professional astronauts. :wink:

Edited by StahnAileron

To be honest I wouldn't like this. If Squad says "Val and Jeb are a couple" I'm going to go off KSP youtube videos for a month because KSP youtubers like Danny2462's, Nexter's Lab's, and SWDennis' youtube pages will be filled with Flying valintines, Wedding cakes made out of rockets etc. :(:P:confused:

13 minutes ago, ElpoDaKing said:

To be honest I wouldn't like this. If Squad says "Val and Jeb are a couple" I'm going to go off KSP youtube videos for a month because KSP youtubers like Danny2462's, Nexter's Lab's, and SWDennis' youtube pages will be filled with Flying valintines, Wedding cakes made out of rockets etc. :(:P:confused:

That would be space cakes :P

The following is an excerpt from "The Untold History of the Kerbal Space Program", by Anonymous Kerman.

The thing between Jeb and Val? Yeah, we all figured it was only a matter of time. I mean, honestly, who wasn't in love with Valentina? The first time I saw her out of her spacesuit I about fell over. The dark hair and dusky eyes. And lemme tell ya; that Slavic accent drove us insane.

And Jeb? Come on. It was Jebediah Kerman. The girls were crazy about him. He got so much mail from women, we had two full-time employees whose job it was to open all the packages and see what was inside them (a lot of underwear, I'm told). So it was no surprise to us. But those clowns at mission control were clueless as usual. Otherwise they never would've sent the two of them off to Bop together with Bill Kerman along.

Bill Kerman? Are you kidding me? The guy may not have been bright enough to light your dashboard, but he was a legendary ladies man. Sure, he was getting on in years, but that didn't hurt him a bit. He had that salt and pepper thing going. Girls always seem to go for that. And he played it to the hilt. With the cowboy hat and boots all the time. He cut a pretty rakish figure.

Now imagine the three of them packed up in a tin can and shipped to the edge of the solar system.

And tin can was pretty much what they were in. Rockomax offered a contract to put a base on Bop that could support eight Kerbals. The director (who's still the cheapest man I've ever met) decided he could cheat by just putting eight seats on the ship. He didn't actually need eight Kerbals. On top of that, he double-dipped with a contract for Kerbodyne. They wanted us to mine some ore for them. And thus, a disaster was begun.

The mad geniuses at the VAB slapped a couple of MK2 lander cans on top of a hitchhiker storage facility (simply known as a "hitcher") to make up the required eight seats. It really did look like a giant soup can. They threw on some drills and a resource converter (with Bill aboard to run them) and the mission was a go.

Things went fine on the way out, but it wasn't exactly uneventful. Supposedly there was a lot of sneaking around going on. Two and a half years is a long time, so it's no surprise. But it was after they landed on Bop that it all came to a head.

I've heard this story a bunch of times, and I've heard it a bunch of different ways.

Now, you've gotta understand, Bill was known to drink a bit. And on long flights, he was known to drink a lot. He had grown adept at making toilet-wine. It was a foul-tasting concoction he cooked up in an empty monopropellent canister. This is where accounts start to vary. Some say Bill got drunk and made a pass at Val. Some say Bill got drunk and tried to rekindle an old romance he had with Val. Some say Bill got drunk and took a swing at Jeb. About the only thing everyone agrees on is that Bill got drunk.

The story I got from Jeb himself, is that Bill (drunk on toilet-wine) EVA'd to the surface to retract the drills for takeoff. A transfer window to Kerbin was opening, and they needed to launch soon to be sure not to miss it. Bill got the drills retracted and boarded the ship. Then he got on the intercom to say they were good to go, promptly laid down and passed out. Jeb fired up the Poodle and they were on the way. Six hours later they fired the engine again for a direct burn home from Bop.

Not half an hour later, they got the word from mission control. Bill Kerman had woken up. On Bop.

The story was that Bill (drunk on toilet-wine) had indeed retracted the drills and boarded the ship. And he did promptly lie down and pass out. But he was actually inside the "hitcher", which was not scheduled to come home. It was staged and left behind as dead-weight. Jeb and Val assumed he was on the other lander can (where he would've been if he was sober) and took off for home.

Now that they made the burn, there was no going back. Once you start the Jool dive, you don't just turn around. So Bill was stuck on Bop, and Jeb and Val had a couple of years to themselves. Which I hear they made the most of.

As for Bill, luckily we had a permanent science station on Bop (can't remember the name; we just called it the Bop Stop). They sent a rover for Bill and he waited there for a rescue.

There was an investigation, of course, but it was just for show. Val was the first woman in the space program and Jeb was a national hero, so what could they do? They changed some protocols and that was it.

So did they leave him behind on purpose? Who knows? Nothing was ever proven. Even Jeb and Bill made up afterward. Of course, by the time he got home Bill was a decade older and slightly brain-damaged. I guess drinking toilet-wine out of a monopropellent canister isn't good for you. Who knew?

Note that the government insists this story is a complete fabrication. Calling the author "a liar and an idiot to boot".

According to Director Kerman, no Kerbal has ever been "intentionally" left behind on an alien world. He also added, "no one in the space program has ever consumed toilet-wine. Our ships don't even have toilets".

The author stands by his story.