Does anybody else think Jeb and Val should hook up?

imkrazy

I have always believed that Jeb and Val are brother and sister, which makes sense since they have the exact same traits. So if there are going to be anyone "hooking up", it would be Bob and Val since Bob is actually intelligent and Bill's intelligence is negligible.  

I don't think kerbals reproduce sexualy, and therefore have no romantic involvements.

I imagine them disseminating spores in orbit of white dwarf stars, so that they get dispersed to other galaxies when the star turns supernova.

Edited by kermand

21 hours ago, monstah said:

Not all was ok, but I cleared the nastiest bits. Keep it family-friendly, guys. It's possible! :wink: 

My opinion, no, they shouldn't hook up, not officially. No kerbal should have an official biography, and the game has no plot or story. Fanfic writers, however, should do as they please. A good, well-written romance is a strong trope in any literature :P 

Now this topic just might be the best testimony why our little green friends and KSP doesn't behold a story or plot, it leaves it all up to your own imagination, and there is plenty of that looking at how everybody percieves kerbalkind differently in this topic.
So no, Jeb and Val (or Bill or Bob) shouldn't hook up officially, the way KSP is now leaves room for everybody, if you happen to be a fan for fanfiction, way to 'down to earth' for that or somewhere in the middle. KSP has the room for all!

Me personally, I might be a bit more on the more 'down to earth' stuff guy, fanfiction is not my cup of tea (or maybe it just medles to much with my intrepetation of kerbalkind, and therefore can't really relate to the storytelling), I can't really get my head around something like real live 'war reinactments' either, but in both I can see the passion that it creates for some, so people enjoy that.
(don't put a bunch of LEGO in front of me though, and I would really love my wife to put on an Beatrix Kiddo suit :D )

53 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

And I apologize for getting so upset yesterday..... :)

You were rightly upset. I genuinely insulted you. I mean, writing a story on anything is a good idea. As much as it may not be appropriate for a large novel, KSP is a good topic to write on, especially on a forum where it is prominent.

On 4/18/2017 at 7:50 AM, Just Jim said:

Have you read even 10% of what's being written and posted in the fan-fiction section?  Oh, for the record, I'm over 50..... and I can name at least 6 different young authors that all said they've started writing because of me!!!  We have many amazing writers, and many of them are also over 30.... 

I'm one of them!!!

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

And I apologize for getting so upset yesterday..... :)

7 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

You were rightly upset. I genuinely insulted you. I mean, writing a story on anything is a good idea. As much as it may not be appropriate for a large novel, KSP is a good topic to write on, especially on a forum where it is prominent.

Things got a little heated, somewhat philosophical, and even a little dirty. Cooler heads prevailed; as per usual on this forum (which is why I'm here and not Steam). I thought it was a healthy conversation. Overall, a pretty good topic. Who started this thread again? imkrazylykafox?

my personal head-cannon is as follows:
- jeb and val are not a couple
- jeb and val have ... yeah ... whatever it is that kerbals do. which I won't discuss here.
- everybody agrees that any kind of romantic relationship between them would last about 3 months. longer if they are on separate deployments
- everybody agrees that any kind of romantic relationship between them would be a very bad idea. <epic voice over voice>this in a world</epic voice over voice> where some of the ships that are attempted to be launched are considered good ideas.
- they are friends. not best friends. sometimes good friends.
- they can, will, and have bumped heads really hard. but, they respect each other as top players of the game and will back down and back-up the other when the key argument had been made.

easy... and promptly dates me... popular media reference Hawkeye and Margaret from M*A*S*H

2 minutes ago, steuben said:

easy... and promptly dates me... popular media reference Hawkeye and Margaret from M*A*S*H

I hadn't considered the M*A*S*H perspective... very interesting!

35 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

I still shouldn't have lost my temper, and I'm sorry. Sometimes I get a little... over-protective... of the fan fiction area. 

4 minutes ago, steuben said:

M*A*S*H is by now one of my favorite shows to watch before bed. A local station's showing them 2 a night, and so we're watching 2 a night as well. (We're on Season 4 now)

3 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I still shouldn't have lost my temper, and I'm sorry. Sometimes I get a little... over-protective... of the fan fiction area. 

Mama Bear Jim :wink:

23 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Mama Bear Jim :wink:

It's your fault!!!   :sticktongue:

No, seriously, this is something I've never really had happen before, and I know I shouldn't let it bother me. But every time someone says I inspired them to do something, I get a little protective of them... And it's happened so many times now, I've lost track, so I tend to get over-protective of the entire fan-fiction area....

Now, back on-topic...

30 minutes ago, steuben said:

The more I think about this... the more I'm having an "I wish I had thought of that" moment... :)

Edited by Just Jim

On 18/04/2017 at 8:36 PM, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

The following is an excerpt from "The Untold History of the Kerbal Space Program", by Anonymous Kerman.

The thing between Jeb and Val? Yeah, we all figured it was only a matter of time. I mean, honestly, who wasn't in love with Valentina? The first time I saw her out of her spacesuit I about fell over. The dark hair and dusky eyes. And lemme tell ya; that Slavic accent drove us insane.

And Jeb? Come on. It was Jebediah Kerman. The girls were crazy about him. He got so much mail from women, we had two full-time employees whose job it was to open all the packages and see what was inside them (a lot of underwear, I'm told). So it was no surprise to us. But those clowns at mission control were clueless as usual. Otherwise they never would've sent the two of them off to Bop together with Bill Kerman along.

Bill Kerman? Are you kidding me? The guy may not have been bright enough to light your dashboard, but he was a legendary ladies man. Sure, he was getting on in years, but that didn't hurt him a bit. He had that salt and pepper thing going. Girls always seem to go for that. And he played it to the hilt. With the cowboy hat and boots all the time. He cut a pretty rakish figure.

Now imagine the three of them packed up in a tin can and shipped to the edge of the solar system.

And tin can was pretty much what they were in. Rockomax offered a contract to put a base on Bop that could support eight Kerbals. The director (who's still the cheapest man I've ever met) decided he could cheat by just putting eight seats on the ship. He didn't actually need eight Kerbals. On top of that, he double-dipped with a contract for Kerbodyne. They wanted us to mine some ore for them. And thus, a disaster was begun.

The mad geniuses at the VAB slapped a couple of MK2 lander cans on top of a hitchhiker storage facility (simply known as a "hitcher") to make up the required eight seats. It really did look like a giant soup can. They threw on some drills and a resource converter (with Bill aboard to run them) and the mission was a go.

Things went fine on the way out, but it wasn't exactly uneventful. Supposedly there was a lot of sneaking around going on. Two and a half years is a long time, so it's no surprise. But it was after they landed on Bop that it all came to a head.

I've heard this story a bunch of times, and I've heard it a bunch of different ways.

Now, you've gotta understand, Bill was known to drink a bit. And on long flights, he was known to drink a lot. He had grown adept at making toilet-wine. It was a foul-tasting concoction he cooked up in an empty monopropellent canister. This is where accounts start to vary. Some say Bill got drunk and made a pass at Val. Some say Bill got drunk and tried to rekindle an old romance he had with Val. Some say Bill got drunk and took a swing at Jeb. About the only thing everyone agrees on is that Bill got drunk.

The story I got from Jeb himself, is that Bill (drunk on toilet-wine) EVA'd to the surface to retract the drills for takeoff. A transfer window to Kerbin was opening, and they needed to launch soon to be sure not to miss it. Bill got the drills retracted and boarded the ship. Then he got on the intercom to say they were good to go, promptly laid down and passed out. Jeb fired up the Poodle and they were on the way. Six hours later they fired the engine again for a direct burn home from Bop.

Not half an hour later, they got the word from mission control. Bill Kerman had woken up. On Bop.

The story was that Bill (drunk on toilet-wine) had indeed retracted the drills and boarded the ship. And he did promptly lie down and pass out. But he was actually inside the "hitcher", which was not scheduled to come home. It was staged and left behind as dead-weight. Jeb and Val assumed he was on the other lander can (where he would've been if he was sober) and took off for home.

Now that they made the burn, there was no going back. Once you start the Jool dive, you don't just turn around. So Bill was stuck on Bop, and Jeb and Val had a couple of years to themselves. Which I hear they made the most of.

As for Bill, luckily we had a permanent science station on Bop (can't remember the name; we just called it the Bop Stop). They sent a rover for Bill and he waited there for a rescue.

There was an investigation, of course, but it was just for show. Val was the first woman in the space program and Jeb was a national hero, so what could they do? They changed some protocols and that was it.

So did they leave him behind on purpose? Who knows? Nothing was ever proven. Even Jeb and Bill made up afterward. Of course, by the time he got home Bill was a decade older and slightly brain-damaged. I guess drinking toilet-wine out of a monopropellent canister isn't good for you. Who knew?

Note that the government insists this story is a complete fabrication. Calling the author "a liar and an idiot to boot".

According to Director Kerman, no Kerbal has ever been "intentionally" left behind on an alien world. He also added, "no one in the space program has ever consumed toilet-wine. Our ships don't even have toilets".

The author stands by his story.

If jeb and val were together for a couple years I guess they could of made conversation?

2 hours ago, Just Jim said:

It's your fault!!!   :sticktongue:

No, seriously, this is something I've never really had happen before, and I know I shouldn't let it bother me. But every time someone says I inspired them to do something, I get a little protective of them... And it's happened so many times now, I've lost track, so I tend to get over-protective of the entire fan-fiction area....

Now, back on-topic...

The more I think about this... the more I'm having an "I wish I had thought of that" moment... :)

Whilst we're on this topic, apologies to @Matuchkinfrom me as well, if I came on a little strong in my replies.

I'm with Jim though, in getting over-protective of fan-fiction -  I guess there's nothing like getting involved in something yourself to get protective of it. I have to admit though that it does irk me when I see folks using 'fan-fiction' as an easy synonym for 'bad writing' and tarring the whole genre with a single brush.

However, responding with my own kneejerk reaction doesn't help either. Sorry.

People are trying to discuss the romance of said relationship in much detail.
But what if you all miss the point completely.

What if there is no romance among kerbals. What if there is only hardcore instinctive physical attraction or desire.
Maybe it's more like doing a quiky to whomever shares the spacecraft. It could aswell be Bob.|
What if it is natural selection? Who do they choose? The guy *cough* kerbal next door? Or the number one supreme national space pilot ala Jebediah?

When people use the words "hooking up" they usually mean for extended periods of time. You hooked up with someone because you stayed with him/her.
I can tell something based on personal gameplay, and I'm sure everyone else can verify the same.

And that is that Jebediah and Valentina are usually not at the same place. The very fact that they are both pilots means that they will be both expended at two different locations. You can surely bring both of them along for the ride.
But that usually doesn't happen. And a relationship with 2 people seperated from one another is not really a relationship.
Oh, and I might have joked around concerning my first reply to thirs thread. But there is actual seriousness concerning the comment that they are both pilots and occupy the same job.
On Earth people doing the same job almost never hook up because company policies prevent it. A good rule I find by the way, as it can lead to unwanted circumstances.

Edited by Razorforce7

1 hour ago, Razorforce7 said:

What if there is no romance among kerbals.

This is actually a really good point... we think of kerbals as small, lovable, green critters... but they are also an alien race... maybe the concept of "romance" is totally alien to them...

It would be an interesting angle for a story

11 hours ago, kermand said:

I don't think kerbals reproduce sexualy, and therefore have no romantic involvements.

I imagine them disseminating spores in orbit of white dwarf stars, so that they get dispersed to other galaxies when the star turns supernova.

This is something we've discussed a lot... and avoided a lot... in writing fan-fiction stories. Kerbal reproduction can lead to some really interesting, and heated, debates... and some of us (myself included) have tried to avoid bringing up the subject our stories for this very reason.

Edited by Just Jim

12 minutes ago, System Error Message said:

perhaps we could have a mod where kerbals can reproduce, so if you had multiple kerbals on a long mission you may end up with more.

I think that if time gives life then time should also take it away. Add this and we'll have infant Kerbals, but then we should also have elderly kerbals.
Now I know we've all de-orbited kerbals before in their spacesuit and live to tell about it. But Kerbals are mortal, they will die one day.

3 minutes ago, Razorforce7 said:

I think that if time gives life then time should also take it away. Add this and we'll have infant Kerbals, but then we should also have elderly kerbals.
Now I know we've all de-orbited kerbals before in their spacesuit and live to tell about it. But Kerbals are mortal, they will die one day.

but kerbals could then have multiple kids so you could have a population growth.

5 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

This is actually a really good point... we think of kerbals as small, lovable, green critters... but they are also an alien race... maybe the concept of "romance" is totally alien to them...

It would be an interesting angle for a story

Perhaps more the concept of romance as we understand the term is alien not understood by them. A case of Blue and Orange Morality rather than no word for peace. We can assume a construct similar to romance exists given they are viable species. 

But, yes it would be an interesting angle... but can be hard to do with out it seeming either random or understandable but weird, or both. If done right you can get something like LeGuin's Gethenians in "The Left Hand of Darkness"

11 minutes ago, steuben said:

But, yes it would be an interesting angle... but can be hard to do with out it seeming either random or understandable but weird, or both. If done right you can get something like LeGuin's Gethenians in "The Left Hand of Darkness"

Good point.... it would be really challenging to make it work without being weird or gratuitous. 

Edited by Just Jim