Your PROUDEST moment in KSP

imkrazy

It's hard to top your first Mun landing, but I had one that's pretty close. My first free capture at Jool. To see that the purple line was already a circle, without needing a burn in over a year and a half, gave me a very warm feeling. And opened up a whole new aspect of the game. The true power of a good gravity assist.

I've told this story before in other, similar threads, but I'm happy to share it again.

Doing an Apollo style Mun landing (2 kerbal lander with 1 kerbal CSM left in orbit around Mun). This was way back in the day (probably 0.21 or thereabouts) and I was still practicing my precision landings trying to land by the Armstrong Memorial, so I burned up a lot more fuel on descent than I planned to. Ended up not having enough left in my lander to even make it back to a low orbit barely above the surface features of the Mun. So I waited for my CSM to orbit around by the landing site, eyeballing it, and launched the lander into a sub-orbital arc that passed through the orbit of the CSM. I then switched to the CSM and pulled off a rendezvous and docking with the lander just before it reached its apogee and began its suicide descent back to the Mun. Used the fuel and the engine of the CSM to then boost both craft back into a safe Mun orbit about 7km above the surface. And I did it all on the first try, no save-scumming. Felt so awesome, I was happy the rest of the day.

I don't even know. But landing a Kerbal on the Moon - yes, Moon, in Real Solar System - with unaltered stock parts is up there. And now I want to make that something routine I can fly any time I like - I've been slowly building up infrastructure to do that.

My Saturn shuttle. I feel like a proud father and today my pride pushed it further by docking to a space station using its internal docking array (in its cargo bay) against a radially attached docking port to a 5m fuel tank. 

I thought that the mk3 cockpit would've blocked it from docking but nope- Saturn Shuttle maneuvered and docked just fine after a bit of a learning struggle. 

Every day it proves to me that it can do more than what I'd think. 

Live long Saturn Shuttle- and keep flying.

19ZOLZn.jpg

Probably a Kerbal-rescue mission on the Mun. The stranded Kerbal was way up near the pole, and I realized after I reached Munar orbit that the lander portion of my mothership-and-lander setup didn't have enough dV to get down and back. My mothership, on the other hand, had excess. So to solve the problem, I slowed the mothership down to suborbital speeds, undocked the lander from the cargo bay, and then re-accelerated back to orbital speeds. I can't remember if I did the same thing on the rendezvous maneuver as well, but it took several tries to get the whole operation right, and the eventual success was oh so satisfying.

My first docking. In 0.25 before we had fancy hold target or anything like that. Flew to Minmus, detached lander, landed, went back to orbit. A month of in game time and two hours of Scott Manley later, I docked. When that camera snapped to new position, I got that feeling of "YES!!!  Now nothing can stop me!" That trumped the landing three hours earlier.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.