Plane blows up after physics easing.

To summarise, I load plane, a message pops-up and says "physics easing in progress" or something like that, then goes kaboom or the wing detaches.

I have parts connected to the plane that clip through and this issue hasn't happened before as I've been doing this with other planes with no explosive results.

Is it just a bug or something?

It's kinda hard to diagnose without screenshots, but I think a way to fix this would be to before launching, bring up the cheat menu, hack gravity to minimum, launch, wait for physics to ease, then slowly dial gravity back up to normal, then reset it. Also, I think This Mod improves physic easing. It could just be a bug with the craft, I've seen a ship which when loaded just spontaneously combusts for no reason. Hope this helps. :)

It can be anything. Like miffedstarfish said, screenshots help.
Another alternative solution to the one provied might be to use the "no crash damage" cheat and then deactivate it once the craft settles down on the runway. This might prevent it going kaboom.

A few possible causes to check for:

• Overuse of autostruts on big/heavy vessels almost guarantees spontaneous explosive disassembly at physics kicking in.
  • Wrong choices for the autostrut endpoint setting can do this too. Check carefully how they connect and to what, if there are any asymmetries or too many things connected to light-ish parts it can lead to explosions.
  • Heavy payloads connected by weak decouplers/docking ports, or insufficiently (auto)strutted in the bay/fairing.
  • One that happens very often: with heavy rockets, make sure there is some room between the lowest part and the launch platform deck. The rocket will start with a spring motion downwards as gravity kicks in and before the launch clamps can stabilize it, which without headroom will bang it onto the platform, hard. No amount of launch clamps avoids this if you surpass certain weights, not even when placed at the bottom (the swinging will happen right through the clamps anyway).
  • A similar thing happens with heavy (space)planes, but not much you can do there to mitigate this due to unclamped SPH vessels stubbornly deciding their own launch height. You could try with launch clamps and 'dropping' it once stabilized, and experimentally finding the best compromise between swing room and drop height that allows it to survive for take off.
  • Ironically: too many launch clamps can be a cause too sometimes. Not exactly sure of the explanation for this one. If you have a lot of clamps, try removing a few. Or try separating them a bit away from the craft, with the offset tool... I've come to accept 'magnetic clamping' as an inevitable workaround to avoid the clamps themselves from being the catalysts sometimes.
  • Fairing bases and TT-38-D decouplers have a tendency to almost unnoticeably break their top or bottom stack connection when the top is very heavy or even just from the initial swing motion when physics kick in. You can tell sometimes because the stack will 'lose' stages right when loading, or if you had SAS on and it suddenly turns grey as if you lost connection (you didn't, the vessel focus just went with the severed part of the vessel that does not have a core/manned cockpit). Explosions tend to follow very closely so it's hard to notice sometimes.
  • There are a few parts that have a tendency of creating in-vessel collisions/forces when clipped, even though this is supposed to never happen: most notably landing gear, wheels, the klaw, and kerbals in command seats.
  • Almost forgot, but this one is difficult to check for because the game does not show it and it doesn't happen consistently: if you do clip parts, especially heavy parts in symmetry, either ensure their (invisible!) collision meshes are well apart, or clipped a good bit into each other. If they are just barely overlapping, it sometimes causes them to violently push each other apart when physics kick in.
Edited by swjr-swis
one more

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.